Melvil Decimal System: 017.4
Dewmoji: ℹ️ > 📚 > 📒 > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Computing And Information
Library and Information Sciences
Dictionaries And Encyclopedias
[Formerly "Biographies"; Currently unassigned]
Journalism And Publishing
Manuscripts and rare books
Of Special Forms; Pseudonyms; etc.
Of Special Countries
Of Special Subjects
Classed and Alphabetical Catalogs
Classed -- Public Libraries
Classed -- Private Libraries
Classed -- Auction
Classed -- Booksellers
Alphabetical -- Public Libraries
Alphabetical -- Private Libraries
Alphabetical -- Auction
Alphabetical -- Booksellers
Works under MDS 017.4
- Waterstones Guide to Books by Waterstone & Co
- Sale Catalogues of the Libraries of Samuel Johnson, Hester Lynch Thrale (Mrs. Piozzi), and James Boswell by Donald D. Eddy
- Det Siviliserte informasjonssamfunn : folkebibliotekenes rolle ved inngangen til en digital tid by Ragnar Audunson
- American Trade Catalogs by Don Fredgant
- Bücher, Kunst und Kataloge : Dokumentation zum 40jährigen Bestehen des Antiquariats Jürgen Holstein by Jürgen Holstein
- Americana : recent acquisitions (180) by John H. Jenkins
- XIV Mostra afro- brasileira Palmares: expoxição de artes plásticas 17 de novembro a 11 de dezembro/99
- Americana : recent acquisitions (159) by John H. Jenkins
- XIII Mostra Afro-Brasileira Palmares
- The printer of Texas, the writers of Texas, and Illustrators by Hugh Wright
- XX Mostra Afro- Brasileira Palmares : 19 de novembro a 10 de dezembro de 2005
- Latin America & the southwestern United States by John H. Jenkins
- The Collection of Robert Edwards AO: a selection of fine books and manuscripts, maps and graphic material; including significant material on the early Australian colonies, with a particular focus on inland and coastal exploration in the first century of settlement by Hordern House (Firm),
- A list of the publications issued by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations / issued at the General Court of the Society ... by its Governor, William Angell Viall, esquire and the Council of the Society by Society of Colonial Wars ...
- The Booklover's Answer, #16 (Jan-Feb 1966) by R. J. Hussey
- The Reverend Thomas Bray, D. D., 1656-1730 ... : a selection from his papers together with a group of American manuscripts by H.P. Kraus (Firm),
- Sir Edmund Andros, 1637-1714, Governor of New York, Governor of the Dominion of New England, Governor of Virginia : original documents from his papers, many with the signatures of Charles II, James II, William III, and Mary II by H.P. Kraus (Firm),
- Canvassing books, sample books, and subscription publishers' ephemera, 1833-1951, in the collection of Michael Zinman by Keith Arbour
- Frederic Remington (Bibliographical Check list) and More Fact and Fiction of the Old West and the Wild West by E. W. Latendorf
- British private press books: catalogue 230 by Kay Craddock-Antiquarian Bookseller
- Rare books from five centuries 1316 – 1800 by John H. Jenkins
- Catalogue of books and periodical sets on French Canada, history of French abbeys and catholic theology
- Recent acquisitions by John H. Jenkins
- Three centuries of voyages : 1558-1861 by Hordern House (Firm),
- 150-års jubileum : 1843-1993 by Claes Nyegaard
- Mediaeval and renaissance manuscripts selected for the beauty of their illumination and the significance of their texts : to which are added a number of single leaves and documents and a very fine cuir ciselé binding by H.P. Kraus (Firm),
- Complete Classified Price List of School and College Textbooks January 1915 by American Book Company
- Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands, Africa and the East Indies : catalogue of rare books, fine original paintings by noted artists, original manuscript journals and documents, scarce engravings and maps by England) Museum Book Store (London
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.