Melvil Decimal System: 022.31
Dewmoji: ℹ️ > 📗 > 🏛 > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Computing And Information
Library and Information Sciences
Dictionaries And Encyclopedias
[Formerly "Biographies"; Currently unassigned]
Journalism And Publishing
Manuscripts and rare books
Scope, Usefulness, and Founding
Libraries on Special Subjects
General Libraries; Reports, etc.
Books and Reading
Location, site, etc.
Design; Plans; Construction
Storage and shelving
Heating and ventilation
Fixtures, furniture, fittings
By kind of library
Free public; Rate supported; Endowed
State and government
For special classes
Works under MDS 022.31
- Teen Spaces: The Step-by-Step Library Makeover by Kimberly Bolan
- Planning academic and research library buildings by Philip D. Leighton
- The British Library and the St Pancras building by Anthony John Patrick Kenny
- Public Libraries Going Green (Ala Public Library Handbook Series) by Kathryn Miller
- Building Science 101: A Primer for Librarians by Lynn M. Piotrowicz
- The Living Library: An Intellectual Ecosystem by Patricia Steele
- Decision-Making in the Absence of Certainty: A Study in the Context of Technology and the Construction of the 21st Century Academic Library (Acrl Publications in Librarianship) by S. David Mash
- Designing library space for children by Ingrid Bon
- Determining Your Public Library's Future Size: A Needs Assessment and Planning Model by Lee B. Brawner
- Library Spaces for 21st-Century Learners: A Planning Guide for Creating New School Library Concepts by Margaret Sullivan
- Bibliotheken heute!: Best Practice bei Planung, Bau und Ausstattung by Petra Hauke
- Books, Buildings and Social Engineering by Alistair Black
- Library Buildings, Equipment, and the Ada: Compliance Issues and Solutions : Proceedings of the Lama Buildings and Equip by New Orleans Library Administration and Management
- The green library : The challenge of environment sustainability by Petra Hauke
- Eco-Library Design by John A. Flannery
- High Impact School Library Spaces: Envisioning New School Library Concepts by Margaret L. Sullivan
- Public libraries image handbook by Kevin Hennah
- Public Library Buildings: The Librarian's Go-To Guide for Construction, Expansion, and Renovation Projects by Lisa Charbonnet
- The Los Angeles Central Library : building an architectural icon, 1872-1933 by Kenneth A. Breisch
- Mental Health Buildings Evaluation
- LIBRARY BUILDINGS, EQUIPMENT, & THE ADA; Compliance Issues and Solutions. Proceedings of the LAMA Buildings and Equipment Section Preconference, June 24-25, 1993, New Orleans, Louisiana. Includes Index. by Susan E Cirillo
- A New Look for the Public Library: Redesigning the Public Library Building by Primary Research Group.
- Build, renovate or detonate : a seminar on the future of public library buildings, held at : Department of Infrastructur
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.