Melvil Decimal System: 201.3
Dewmoji: 🙏🏽 > 🌌 > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Christian practice and observance
Christian pastoral practice and religious orders
Christian organization, social work, worship
History of Christianity
Religious mythology, general classes of religion, interreligious relations and attitudes, social theology
Public worship and other practices
Religious experience, life, practice
Leaders and organization
Missions and religious education
With Respect to Particular Groups of People
Biography; History By Place
Mythology and mythological foundations
General classes of religion
Religions and secular disciplines
Attitudes of religions toward social issues
Mythology and mythological foundations - standard subdivisions
Works under MDS 201.3
- Myth by Laurence Coupe
- Mystery Cults of the Ancient World by Hugh Bowden
- Mythology of the World by Neil Philip
- Mythology: The Complete Guide to Our Imagined Worlds by Christopher Dell
- The Encyclopedia of Eastern Mythology by Rachel Storm
- The Encyclopedia of Classic Mythology: THe Ancient Greek, Roman, Celetic and Norse Legends (Practical Handbook) by Arthur Cotterell
- Don't Know Much About World Myths by Kenneth C. Davis
- The Origins of the World's Mythologies by E. J. Michael Witzel
- Theories of Mythology (Ancient Cultures) by Eric Csapo
- World Mythology in Bite-Sized Chunks by Mark Daniels
- The Student's mythology: A compendium of Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Assyrian, Persian, Hindoo, Chinese, Thibetan, Scandinavian, Celtic, Aztec, and Peruvian ... for the use of schools and academies by Catherine Ann White
- De grote mythologische figuren by Fernand Comte
- Sacred Stories: Wisdom from World Religions by Marilyn McFarlane
- Biblical and Classical Myths: The Mythological Framework of Western Culture (Frye Studies) by Northrop Frye
- National Geographic Kids Everything Mythology: Begin Your Quest for Facts, Photos, and Fun Fit for Gods and Goddesses by Blake Hoena
- Myth in Human History by Grant Voth
- Mythologems: Incarnations of the Invisible World by James Hollis
- Canongate Myth Series: A Short History of Myth, The Penelopiad, Weight, and Dream Angus by Karen Armstrong
- Historical-Critical Introduction to the Philosophy of Mythology by Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph von Schelling
- Women at the Beginning: Origin Myths from the Amazons to the Virgin Mary by Patrick J. Geary
- A Dictionary of Non-Classical Mythology by Marian Edwardes
- Great Myths of the World by Padraic Colum
- UXL Encyclopedia of World Mythology by UXL
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to World Mythology by Evans Lansing Ph.D. Smith
- Mythical Figures: Uniform Edition of the Writings of James Hillman, Vol. 6 (James Hillman Uniform Edition) by James Hillman
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.