Melvil Decimal System: 208.4
Dewmoji: 🙏🏽 > 🌌 > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Christian practice and observance
Christian pastoral practice and religious orders
Christian organization, social work, worship
History of Christianity
Religious mythology, general classes of religion, interreligious relations and attitudes, social theology
Public worship and other practices
Religious experience, life, practice
Leaders and organization
Missions and religious education
With Respect to Particular Groups of People
Biography; History By Place
Sacred books and scriptures
Laws and decisions
Sources of sects and reform movements
Works under MDS 208.4
- Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives: The Life and Teachings of Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica by Ana Smiljanic
- A Night in the Desert of the Holy Mountain: Discussion with a Hermit on the Jesus Prayer by Metropolitan of Nafpaktos Hierotheos Vlachos
- The Law of God: The Philosophical History of an Idea by Remi Brague
- Precious Vessels of the Holy Spirit by H. Middleton
- Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain by Priestmonk Christodoulos Ageloglou
- Aging, Spirituality, and Religion: A Handbook by Melvin Kimble
- Contemporary Ascetics of Mount Athos, Vol. 1 by CHERUBIM Archimandrite
- Spiritual Counsels II: Spiritual Awakening by Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
- Matericon : Instructions of Abba Isaiah to the Honorable Nun Theodora by Abba Isaiah
- Elder Cleopa of Sihastria: In the tradition of St. Paisius Velichkovsky by Ioanichie Balan
- Elder Arsenios the Cave-dweller (1886-1983): Fellow Ascetic of Elder Joseph the Hesychast by Monk Joseph Dionysaitis
- The Way of the Spirit: Reflections on Life in God by Archimandrite Aimilianos of Simonpetra
- Spiritual Counsels III: Spiritual Struggle by Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
- Aging, Spirituality, and Religion: A Handbook, Vol. 2 by Melvin A. Kimble
- Spiritual Counsels 4: Family Life by Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
- Feminism, Law, and Religion (Gender in Law, Culture, and Society) by Marie A. Failinger
- Words for Our Lives: The Spiritual Words of Matthew the Poor Vol 2 Copy 2 by Matthew the Poor
- Gifts of the Desert (copy 2) by Kyriacos Markides
- Aging, Spirituality, And Religion, Vol 2 by Melvin A. Kimble (Editor) Susan H. Mcfadden (Editor)
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.