Melvil Decimal System: 257.2
Dewmoji: 🙏🏽 > 🐑 > 🤷 > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Christian practice and observance
Christian pastoral practice and religious orders
Christian organization, social work, worship
History of Christianity
Homiletic; Pastoral; Parochial
Monasticism and Religious Orders
[Formerly "Societies for Parish Work; Guilds"; No longer used]
[Formerly "Parochial Schools, Libraries, etc."; No longer used]
[Previously "Parish Care of Sick, Fallen, etc."; No longer used]
Other Ministrations and Work
Works under MDS 257.2
- The Abbey of Montecassino
- Anscar Vonier, abbot of Buckfast by Ernest Graf
- Buckfast Abbey by Richard Tilbrook
- Gregory's angels : a history of the abbeys, priories, parishes and schools of the monks and nuns following the rule of Saint Benedict in Great Britain, Ireland and their overseas foundations : to commemorate the arrival of Saint Augustine in Kent in 597 AD / by Gordon Beattie
- Sacro Speco, Subiaco: guida artistica per la visita dei monasteri /
- Eric Rimmington - New Paintings 2012 by Eric Rimmington
- Kurisumala: a symposium on ashram life / by Francis Acharya
- La Trappe in England : chronicles of an unknown monastery / by Religious
- Maria Laach: Vergangenheit und Gegenwart der Abtei am Laacher See / by Theodor Bogler
- The Cistercians in Denmark : their attitudes, roles, and functions in medieval society / by Brian Patrick McGuire
- Saint Martin et son temps; mémorial du XVIe centenaire des débuts du monachisme en Gaule, 361-1961 / by Benno Gut
- Sainte-Marie de la Pierre-qui-vire / by various others
- L'isola dei santi : il cenobio di Lerino e le origini del monachesimo gallico / by Salvatore Pricoco
- St. Catherine's Hermitage on Lake Maggiore / by Roberto Comolli
- Faithquest by Sharon Berry
- Storia del monachesimo in Italia nell'epoca moderna / by Gregorio Penco
- L'Abbazia di Sant'Eutizio in Val Castoriana presso Norcia e le chiese dipendenti / by Pietro Pirri
- Monastic life in Africa, Latin America, Asia, Oceania / by National Centre for A.I.M.
- Asian Monastic Conference, Kandy, Sri Lanka, 18-24th August, 1980 /
- Benedictines in India /
- Benedictines in India (pamphlet) / by Asirvanam Monastery
- Christian ashram communities in India / by Michael O'Toole
- Ampleforth Abbey and College / by Trustees of Ampleforth Abbey
- Saccidananda Ashram / by Swami Amaldas
- Münster am See : Landschaft, Kunst, Kultur, Geschichte, Gegenwart / by Theodor Bogler
- "Church History Studies in Christianity and Culture" (Volume 77) by American Society of Church History
- Kurisumala Ashram / by Swamy Amalorbhavadas
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.