Melvil Decimal System: 282.75
Dewmoji: 🙏🏽 > ☦ > ? > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Christian practice and observance
Christian pastoral practice and religious orders
Christian organization, social work, worship
History of Christianity
Christian Churches and Sects
Primitive and Eastern churches
Anglican and Episcopal
Presbyterian; Reformed; Congregational
Unitarian Universalist (no longer used)
Other Christian sects
In North America
In South America
In the Pacific
Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
District of Columbia
Works under MDS 282.75
- The Cross in the Sand: The Early Catholic Church in Florida, 1513-1870 by Michael Gannon
- Our Lady of the Exile: Diasporic Religion at a Cuban Catholic Shrine in Miami (Religion in America) by Thomas A. Tweed
- Catholics in the Old South: Essays on Church and Culture by Randall Miller
- America's Church: The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception by Gregory W. Tucker
- The Premier See: A History of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, 1789-1989 by Brother Thomas W. Spalding
- The Culture of Bible Belt Catholics by Jon W. Anderson
- America's church : the National Shrine and Catholic presence in the nation's capital by Thomas A. Tweed
- Catholics in crisis : an American parish fights for its soul by Jim Naughton
- Papist Patriots: The Making of an American Catholic Identity by Maura Jane Farrelly
- Dynamics of a city church by Joseph Henry Fichter
- Commonwealth Catholicism: A History of Catholic Church in Virginia by Gerald P. Fogarty
- Voices and Places of the People of God, The Diocese of Charlotte by David Hains
- The church, the South, and the future by James J. Thompson
- At Peace with All Their Neighbors: Catholics and Catholicism in the National Capital, 1787-1860 by William W. Warner
- A History of the Catholic Church in the American South, 1513-1900 by James M. Woods
- Catholics, Slaveholders, and the Dilemma of American Evangelicalism, 1835-1860 by W. Jason Wallace
- First & forever, the archdiocese of Baltimore : a people's history by Rafael Alvarez
- Catholicity in the Carolinas and Georgia by Jeremiah Joseph O'Connell
- Black and Catholic in Savannah, Georgia by Gary W. McDonogh
- Religion, power, and politics in colonial St. Augustine by Robert L. Kapitzke
- Shaping American Catholicism: Maryland and New York, 1805-1915 by Robert Emmett Curran
- Catholicism in South Florida, 1868-1968 by Michael J McNally
- Catholic parish life on Florida's west coast, 1860-1968 by Michael J McNally
- A history of the Diocese of Richmond, the formative years by James H Bailey
- The Saga of St. Mary of the Mills, Laurel, Maryland, 1843 - 1993 (Sesquicentennial) by Elizabeth Lee Compton
- St. Vincent De Paul of Baltimore: The Story of a People and Their Home by Thomas W. Spalding
- A parish for the federal city : St. Patrick's in Washington, 1794-1994 by Morris J. MacGregor
- Faith Without Form: Beliefs of Catholic Youth by E. Nancy McAuley
- The Papal Visit: John Paul II in Miami by Alison Owen
- Pages from the story of an ancient parish : sketch of St. Aloysius' Parish, Leonardtown, Maryland by E. A Ryan
- Catholic colonial Maryland; a sketch by Henry S. Spalding
- Catholic Diocese of Charleston
- The papal visit : Pope John Paul II, Baltimore
- Whispering shadows: A conversation with Augustine's "Confessions" in search of his personal vision of women by Adam Danforth Neal
- The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, D.C (1974) by John Joseph Murphy
- The emergence of a black Catholic community : St. Augustine's in Washington by Morris J. MacGregor
- Emergence of a Black Catholic Community by Morris J. MacGregor
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.