Melvil Decimal System: 305.851
Dewmoji: 👫 > 👭 > 👥 > ? > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Social Sciences, Sociology, Anthropology
Public Administration, Military Science
Social Problems, Social Services
Commerce, Communications, Transportation
Customs, Etiquette, Folklore
Factors affecting social behavior
Groups of People ; Inequality
Culture and Institutions
[No longer used]
[No longer used]
Ethnic and national groups ; racism, multiculturalism
People by occupation and miscellaneous social statuses
Anglo-saxon and celtic
Italians, Romanians, related groups
Works under MDS 305.851
- L'Orda (Italian Edition) by Gian Antonio Stella
- Are Italians White?: How Race is Made in America by Jennifer Guglielmo
- White on Arrival: Italians, Race, Color, and Power in Chicago, 1890-1945 by Thomas A. Guglielmo
- Mezza Italiana by Zoe Boccabella
- Immigrants in the Lands of Promise by Samuel L. Baily
- Odissee: italiani sulle rotte del sogno e del dolore by Gian Antonio Stella
- Wop: A documentary history of anti-Italian discrimination in the United States (Ethnic prejudice in America series) by Salvatore John LaGumina
- Sandwich, The by Ian Wallace
- What Zizi Gave Honeyboy: A True Story About Love, Wisdom, and the Soul of America by Gerald Celente
- The Varieties of Ethnic Experience: Kinship, Class, and Gender Among California Italian-Americans by Micaela di Leonardo
- The Italian-Americans (Immigrants in America) by Catherine M. Petrini
- Il caratteraccio. Come (non) si diventa italiani by Vittorio Zucconi
- L' italiano: il carattere nazionale come storia e come invenzione by Giulio Bollati
- Italian American : the racializing of an ethnic identity by David A. J. Richards
- Finding Valentino : four season in my father's Italy by Angela Di Sciascio
- Between Peasant and Urban Villager: Italian-Americans of New Jersey and New York, 1880-1980 The Structures of Counter-Discourse (American University Studies Series IX, History) by Michael J. Eula
- Joe's Fruit Shop and Milk Bar by Zoe Boccabella
- The Italian American Heritage: A Companion to Literature and Arts (Garland Reference Library of the Humanities) by Pellegrino D'Acierno
- L'identità degli italiani by Giorgio Calcagno
- Emma: A translated life by Emma Ciccotosto
- Cervelli in fuga. Storie di menti italiane fuggite all'estero by Associazione dottorandi e dottori di ricerca itali
- The Italian Emigration of Our Times by Robert F. Foerster
- Making Italian America: Consumer Culture and the Production of Ethnic Identities (Critical Studies in Italian America (FUP)) by Simone Cinotto
- In the Name of the Mother: Italian Americans, African Americans, and Modernity from Booker T. Washington to Bruce Springsteen (Re-Mapping the Transnational: A Dartmouth Series in American Studies) by Samuele F. S. Pardini
- Italian-American History, Volume I (The Italian American Experience) by Giovanni Ermenegildo Schiavo
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.