Melvil Decimal System: 973.7097
Dewmoji: 🗿 > 🌽 > 🇺🇸 > 🎩 > ? > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Mexico, Central America, And The Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
Early history to 1607
Colonial period (1607-1775)
Revolution and confederation (1775-89)
Washington Through Jefferson Administrations
Madison Through Tyler Administrations
Polk Through Buchanan Administrations
Johnson Through McKinley Administrations
Roosevelt Administration And Beyond
Political history; causes, results
General military history
War meetings, celebrations, anniversaries, commemorations
Prisons, hospitals, charities, etc.
Personal narratives, vindications, secret service
Works under MDS 973.7097
- Gray Ghosts of the Confederacy: Guerrilla Warfare in the West, 1861-1865 by Richard S. Brownlee
- Virginia at War, 1862 by William C. Davis
- North Carolina As a Civil War Battleground 1861-1865 by John Gilchrist Barrett
- The Civil War in Kentucky by Lowell H. Harrison
- Confederate Mobile by Arthur W. Bergeron
- Blood and Daring: How Canada Fought the American Civil War and Forged a Nation by John Boyko
- Pennsylvania Civil War Trails: The Guide to Battle Sites, Monuments, Museums and Towns by Tom Huntington
- Civil War on the Missouri-Kansas Border by Donald Gilmore
- Rugged and Sublime: The Civil War in Arkansas by Mark K. Christ
- Civil War Kansas: Reaping the Whirlwind by Albert Castel
- A Distant Thunder: Michigan in the Civil War by Richard Bak
- The Civil War in St. Louis: A Guided Tour by William C. Winter
- With Fire and Sword: Arkansas, 1861-1874 by Thomas A. Deblack
- Civil War Arkansas: Beyond Battles and Leaders (The Civil War in the West) by Anne J. Bailey
- Portraits of Conflict : A Photographic History of Arkansas in the Civil War by Bobby Roberts
- With Blood and Fire: Life Behind Union Lines in Middle Tennessee, 1863-65 by Michael R. Bradley
- A History of Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas: Being an Account of the Early Settlements, the Civil War, the Ku-Klux, and Times of Peace (The Civil War in the West) by William Monks
- The Insiders' Guide to Civil War Sites in the Eastern Theater, 2nd by Michael Gleason
- Rebel Rivers: A Guide to the Civil War Sites on the Potomac, Rappahannock, York, and James by Mark Nesbitt
- Pea Ridge And Prairie Grove, Or Incidents Of The War In Arkansas by William Baxter
- The Civil War in Coastal North Carolina by John S. Carbone
- The Civil War in Missouri: Essays from the Missouri Historical Review, 1906-2006 by William E. Parrish
- The Last 90 Days of the War by Cornelia Phillips Spencer
- St. Louis Arsenal: Armory of the West (MO) (Images of America) by Randy McGuire
- Greyhound Commander: Confederate General John G. Walker's History of the Civil War West of the Mississippi by John George Walker
- Southern Homefront: South Carolina, 1861-1865 by John Hammond Moore
- The Civil War and Yadkin County, North Carolina: A History, with Contemporary Photographs and Letters; New Evidence Regarding Home Guard Activity and by Frances H. Casstevens
- The Civil War Lover's Guide to New York City by Bill Morgan
- South Carolina Goes to War, 1860-1865 (Southern Classics Series) by Charles Edward Cauthen
- Six Days In April: Lincoln And The Union In Peril by Frank B. Marcotte
- Good Hater: George Henry Hoyt's War on Slavery by Bill Hoyt
- Civil War in Kansas by Roy Bird
- Elizabeth City, North Carolina and the Civil War: A History of Battle and Occupation by Alex Christopher Meekins
- Florida In The Civil War by Sandra Friend
- Industry and Infantry: The Civil War in Western Pennsylvania by Brian Butko
- The Homefront in Civil War Missouri (Civil War Series) by James Erwin
- The Die Is Cast: Arkansas Goes to War, 1861 by Mark K. Christ
- Slavery in the Cherokee Nation: The Keetoowah Society and the Defining of a People 1855-1867 (Studies in African American History and Culture) by Patrick Neal Minges
- How the North Carolina Militia helped start the Civil War by Philip Hatfield
- Bushwhackers of the Border: The Civil War Period in Western Missouri : A Summary and Appraisal by Patrick Brophy
- Avenue of Armies: Civil War Sites and Stories of Luray and Page County, Virginia by Robert H. Moore
- New Jersey's Civil War Odyssey by Joseph G. Bilby
- Newburyport and the Civil War (MA) (The History Press) by William Hallett
- South Carolina's Civil War: A Narrative History by W. Scott Poole
- Shippensburg, Pennsylvania in the Civil War by William H. Burkhart
- I Do Wish This Cruel War Was Over: First-Person Accounts of Civil War Arkansas from the Arkansas Historical Quarterly (The Civil War in the West) by Mark K. Christ
- There Stands "Old Rock": Rock County, Wisconsin, and the War to Preserve the Union by Thomas Walterman
- Georgia Civil War Sites by Jim Miles
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.