Melvil Decimal System: 974.79
Dewmoji: 🗿 > 🌽 > 🗽 > 🗽 > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Mexico, Central America, And The Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
New York (city)
Vicinity of New York City
Middle east counties
North central counties
South central counties
West central counties
Works under MDS 974.79
- After the Falls: Coming of Age in the Sixties by Catherine Gildiner
- The Last Fine Time by Verlyn Klinkenborg
- The Age of Daredevils by Michael Clarkson
- City on the Edge: Buffalo, New York, 1900 - present by Mark Goldman
- Dispatches from the Muckdog Gazette: A Mostly Affectionate Account of a Small Town's Fight to Survive by Bill Kauffman
- Triptychs: Buffalo's Lower West Side Revisited by JoAnn Wypijewski
- Power Failure: Politics, Patronage, And the Economic Future of Buffalo, New York by Diana Dillaway
- Buffalo's Waterfront by Thomas E. Leary
- My Father's Cabin: A Tale of Life, Love, Loss and Land by Mark Phillips
- Buffalo Unbound: A Celebration by Laura Pedersen
- Pioneer History of the Holland Purchase of Western New York: embracing some account of the ancient remains; a brief hist by O. Turner
- Chautauqua Institution, 1874-1974 (Images of America: New York) by Kathleen Crocker
- History of Chautauqua County, New York, from its first settlement to the present time. With numerous biographical and fa by Andrew W. Young
- Pioneer History of Orleans County, New York by Arad Thomas
- The Little Red Book of New York Wisdom (Little Red Books) by Ed Koch
- Boaters and Broomsticks: Tales and Historical Lore of the Erie Canal by Lionel D. Wyld
- Old Fort Niagara: An Illustrated History of the Famous Fort by Frederic Ray
- History of Northwestern New York: Erie, Niagara, Wyoming, Genesee and Orleans Counties by John Theodore Horton
- The New Niagara: Tourism, Technology, and the Landscape of Niagara Falls, 1776-1917 by William R. Irwin
- Lake Ontario (True Books: Bodies of Water) by Ann Armbruster
- Race, Neighborhoods, and Community Power: Buffalo Politics, 1934-1997 by Neil Kraus
- Happenstance (Sightline Books) by Robert Root
- Niagara Falls: Volume II (NY) (Images of America) by Daniel M. Dumych
- Studies of the Niagara Frontier (Buffalo Historical Society publications) by Frank H. Severance
- Lewiston (NY) (Images of America) by Suzanne Simon Dietz
- Erie County, New York, Obituaries as Found in the Files of the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society by Martha Reamy
- Chautauqua salute: A memoir of the Bestor years by Mary Frances Bestor Cram
- Centennial History of Erie County, New York; Being Its Annals From the Earliest Recorded Events to the Hundredth Year of American Independence by Crisfield Johnson
- Newfane and Olcott (NY) (Images of America) by Avis A. Townsend
- North Tonawanda: The Lumber City...: Presented by the North Tonawanda History Museum by North Tonawanda History Museum
- The relations of the United States to the Canadian Rebellion of 1837-1838 by Orrin Edward Tiffany
- Remembering Niagara: Tales from Beyond the Falls (American Chronicles) by Robert Kostoff
- Forts Within a Fort: Niagara's Redoubts by Brian Leigh Dunnigan
- Niagara: ATTRACTING THE WORLD by Philip Nyhuis
- The Cradle of the Queen City: A History of Buffalo to the Incorporation of the City: BHS Volume XXXI by Robert W. Bingham
- Porter (NY) (Images of America) by Suzanne Simon Dietz
- Glancing Back: a pictorial history of Amherst, New York by Joseph A. Grande
- Greetings from Buffalo, New York (Schiffer Books) by Anita Yasuda
- Niagara! : The eternal circus by Gordon Donaldson
- ABACA Flows Over Niagara Falls by Timothy Butcher
- Niagara portage from past to present by Theodora Vinal
- A Study of Olean: Past and Present by Olean City School District
- Historical review of Cattaraugus County by Michael C. Donovan
- History of Genesee County, New York, 1890-1982
- Historical Wyoming by Wyoming County (N.Y.). County Historian
- Stairway to Empire: Lockport, The Erie Canal, and The Shaping of America (Excelsior Editions) by Patrick Mcgreevy
- Black Girl from Tannery Flats by Thelma V. Reed
- A History of Niagara County, New York (Studies in Local and Institutional History, V. 3) by Robert D. Kostoff
- A short history of Old Fort Niagara by Edward T. Williams
- Around Findley Lake (NY) (Images of America) by Randy Boerst
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.