Melvil Decimal System: 975.56
Dewmoji: 🗿 > 🌽 > 🌴 > ♍ > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Mexico, Central America, And The Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
District Of Columbia
Works under MDS 975.56
- Hidden Lives: The Archaeology of Slave Life at Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest by Barbara J. Heath
- Spirits of Just Men: Mountaineers, Liquor Bosses, and Lawmen in the Moonshine Capital of the World by Charles D. Thompson Jr.
- Take Care of the Living: Reconstructing Confederate Veteran Families in Virginia (A Nation Divided) by Jeffrey W. McClurken
- History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia by Virginia G. Pedigo
- The Beale Treasure New History of a Mystery: History of a Mystery by Peter Viemeister
- The Old German Baptist Brethren: Faith, Farming, and Change in the Virginia Blue Ridge by Charles D. Thompson Jr.
- The Battle of Piedmont and Hunter's Campaign for Staunton: The 1864 Shenandoah Campaign (VA) (Civil War Sesquicentennial) by Scott C. Patchan
- Abstracts of Pittsylvania County Virginia Wills 1767-1820 by Lela C. Adams
- Genesis of a Virginia Frontier: The Origins of Franklin County, Virginia, 1740-1785 by T. Keister Greer
- Marriages of Lunenburg County, Virginia, 1746-1853 by Emma Robertson Matheny
- The death register of Henry County, Virginia, vol. II 1875-1896. by Anne Vestal-Miller
- A History of Halifax County, Virginia by Wirt Johnson Carrington
- Pittsylvania County, Virginia, inventories & accounts current, 1770-1797 by Lucille C. Payne
- Tombstone inscriptions of the cemeteries of Patrick County, Virginia by O. E. Pilson
- Pittsylvania's Nineteenth-Century Grist Mills by Herman Melton
- Danville (VA) (Images of America) by Todd McGregor Yeatts
- Lynchburg: A City Set on Seven Hills (VA) (Making of America) by Clifton Potter
- Henry County Virginia Will Abstracts, 1777-1820 by Lela C. Adams
- Footprints from the old survey books of Halifax & Pittsylvania counties in Virginia by Roger C Dodson
- History of Patrick County, Virginia by Patrick County Historical Society
- Parker's History of Bedford County, Virginia by Lula Eastman Jeter Parker
- History of Prince Edward County, Virginia by Herbert Clarence Bradshaw
- Lynchburg, Virginia: The First Two Hundred Years 1787-1986 by James M Elson
- Early Wills of Mecklenburg County, VA, 1765-1799 by Katherine B. Elliott
- NORTH CAROLINA A Blessing Shared by Chip Henderson
- Pittsylvania County, Virginia: A Brief History by Larry G. Aaron
- Bedford County (VA) (Images of America Series) by Ben Martin
- History of Prince Edward County, Virginia by Charles Edward Burrell
- Danville in the Civil War (Virginia regimental histories series) by F. Lawrence McFall
- Mecklenburg County, Virginia, Early Settlers, Vol II by Katherine B. Elliott
- Lynchburg (Virginia): A Pictorial History by Richard B. Loyd
- Free Blacks of Lynchburg, Virginia, 1805-1865 by Ted Delaney
- Greater Lynchburg: The Real Virginia by Debbie Nuri
- Campbell Chronicles & Family Sketches by Ruth Hairston Early
- The marriage register of Henry County, Virginia, vol. II 1879-1893 by Anne Vestal-Miller
- Southside Virginia: Echoing through History by Herman Melton
- Around the bend : sharing some of the three centuries of events along the James River at Big Island, Virginia. by Virtley Stephenson. Freeman
- Abstracts of Order Book "O", Patrick County, Virginia, June 1791-August 1800 by Lela C. Adams
- Buckingham County by E. Renee Ingram
- The Beale Papers, Containing Authentic Statements Regarding the Treasure Buried in 1819 and 1821 Near Bufords, in Bedford County, Virginia (Dodo Press by Thomas Beale
- Appomattox County History and Genealogy by R Nathaniel Featherston
- Old Homes and Families in Nottoway by W. R. Turner
- Lunenburg County road orders, 1746-1764 by Nathaniel Mason Pawlett
- Images of Martinsville, Virginia by Thomas D. Perry
- Abstracts of deed books III & IV of Henry County, Virginia, August 1784 through June 1792 by Lela C. Adams
- Halifax county, Virginia marriages 1756-1800 plus parent's consents. by Joan Colbert Gioe
- Patrick County, Virginia deed index abstracts, 1791-1850 by Barbara C. Baughan
- Abstracts of wills, inventories & accounts: Patrick County, Virginia, 1791-1823 by Lela C. Adams
- It happened at Appomattox : the story of an historic Virginia village by Mary Louise Gills
- The Personal Property Tax Lists for the Year 1787 for Pittsylvania County, Virginia by Netti Schreiner-Yantis
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.