Melvil Decimal System: 975.56
Dewmoji: 🗿 > 🌽 > 🌴 > ♍ > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Mexico, Central America, And The Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
District Of Columbia
Works under MDS 975.56
- Hidden Lives: The Archaeology of Slave Life at Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest by Barbara J. Heath
- Take Care of the Living: Reconstructing Confederate Veteran Families in Virginia (A Nation Divided) by Jeffrey W. McClurken
- Spirits of Just Men: Mountaineers, Liquor Bosses, and Lawmen in the Moonshine Capital of the World by Charles D. Thompson Jr.
- History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia by Virginia G. Pedigo
- The Beale Treasure New History of a Mystery: History of a Mystery by Peter Viemeister
- Genesis of a Virginia Frontier: The Origins of Franklin County, Virginia, 1740-1785 by T. Keister Greer
- The Old German Baptist Brethren: Faith, Farming, and Change in the Virginia Blue Ridge by Charles D. Thompson Jr.
- Early Wills of Mecklenburg County, VA, 1765-1799 by Katherine B. Elliott
- The Battle of Piedmont and Hunter's Campaign for Staunton: The 1864 Shenandoah Campaign (VA) (Civil War Sesquicentennial) by Scott C. Patchan
- Pittsylvania County, Virginia, inventories & accounts current, 1770-1797 by Lucille C. Payne
- Lynchburg: A City Set on Seven Hills (VA) (Making of America) by Clifton Potter
- Marriages of Lunenburg County, Virginia, 1746-1853 by Emma Robertson Matheny
- The death register of Henry County, Virginia, vol. II 1875-1896. by Anne Vestal-Miller
- Tombstone inscriptions of the cemeteries of Patrick County, Virginia by O. E. Pilson
- Pittsylvania's Nineteenth-Century Grist Mills by Herman Melton
- History of Prince Edward County, Virginia by Herbert Clarence Bradshaw
- Danville (VA) (Images of America) by Todd McGregor Yeatts
- Henry County Virginia Will Abstracts, 1777-1820 by Lela C. Adams
- Footprints from the old survey books of Halifax & Pittsylvania counties in Virginia by Roger C Dodson
- Campbell chronicles and family sketches : embracing the history of Campbell County, Virginia, 1782-1926 by R.H. Early
- History of Patrick County, Virginia by Patrick County Historical Society
- Parker's History of Bedford County, Virginia by Lula Eastman Jeter Parker
- Lynchburg, Virginia: The First Two Hundred Years 1787-1986 by James M Elson
- Campbell Chronicles & Family Sketches by Ruth Hairston Early
- NORTH CAROLINA A Blessing Shared by Chip Henderson
- Pittsylvania County, Virginia: A Brief History by Larry G. Aaron
- Bedford County (VA) (Images of America Series) by Ben Martin
- History of Prince Edward County, Virginia by Charles Edward Burrell
- Danville in the Civil War (Virginia regimental histories series) by F. Lawrence McFall
- Lunenburg County road orders, 1746-1764 by Nathaniel Mason Pawlett
- Lynchburg (Virginia): A Pictorial History by Richard B. Loyd
- Images of Martinsville, Virginia by Thomas D. Perry
- Free Blacks of Lynchburg, Virginia, 1805-1865 by Ted Delaney
- Mecklenburg County, Virginia, Early Settlers, Vol II by Katherine B. Elliott
- Greater Lynchburg: The Real Virginia by Debbie Nuri
- The marriage register of Henry County, Virginia, vol. II 1879-1893 by Anne Vestal-Miller
- Southside Virginia: Echoing through History by Herman Melton
- Buckingham County by E. Renee Ingram
- Around the bend : sharing some of the three centuries of events along the James River at Big Island, Virginia. by Virtley Stephenson. Freeman
- Abstracts of Order Book "O", Patrick County, Virginia, June 1791-August 1800 by Lela C. Adams
- Appomattox County History and Genealogy by R Nathaniel Featherston
- The Beale Papers, Containing Authentic Statements Regarding the Treasure Buried in 1819 and 1821 Near Bufords, in Bedford County, Virginia (Dodo Press by Thomas Beale
- Historical notes on Amelia County, Virginia by Kathleen Halverson (editor); W. Cary McConnaughey
- Old Homes and Families in Nottoway by W. R. Turner
- Abstracts of deed books III & IV of Henry County, Virginia, August 1784 through June 1792 by Lela C. Adams
- Halifax county, Virginia marriages 1756-1800 plus parent's consents. by Joan Colbert Gioe
- Patrick County, Virginia deed index abstracts, 1791-1850 by Barbara C. Baughan
- It happened at Appomattox : the story of an historic Virginia village by Mary Louise Gills
- The Personal Property Tax Lists for the Year 1787 for Pittsylvania County, Virginia by Netti Schreiner-Yantis
- Abstracts of wills, inventories & accounts: Patrick County, Virginia, 1791-1823 by Lela C. Adams
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.