- Your library (2,768)
- science fiction (2,045), short fiction (1,840), fantasy (526), alien contact (242), space exploration (184), near future (169), romance (120), free fiction (110), humour (107), far future (105), warfare (100), alternate reality (100), fiction magazines (95), global disaster (87), religion (76), sex (70), genetics (65), politics (59), crime (57), Mars (55), gender (53), time travel (49), computers (46), nuclear weapons (42), business (40), cyberpunk (40), space colonisation (39), satire (39), artificial intelligence (37), art (36), music (27), ecology (25), drugs (24), dystopia (21), physics (21), immortality (21), illness (20), virtual reality (19), Moon (19), evolution (19), space habitats (19), BSFA (18), space opera (18), America (17), children (16), steampunk (16), horror fiction (16), robots (15), London (15), horror (14), conceptual breakthrough (14), film (14), Solar System (13), androids (13), childbirth (13), World War Two (13), alien artifact (12), death (12), USA (11), short fiction short fiction (11), thrillers (10), economics (10), biology (9), gaming (9), librarianship (9), science (9), fiction awards (9), vampires (9), language (8), India (8), media (8), memory (8), medicine (8), animals (7), Scotland (7), family (7), youth (7), sport (6), young adult (6), Venus (6), law (6), poetry (6), Internet (6), disease (6), sex genetics (5), terrorism (5), Saturn (5), short fiction] (5), New York (5), Jupiter (5), Devil (5), Polar region (5), genetic engineering (5), madness (5), history (5), mathematics (4), spy fiction (4), instantaneous travel (4), artificial life (4), chess (4), surgery (4), time (4), ghosts (4), families (4), books (4), telepathy (4), Britain (4), nuclear power (4), Russia (4), Edinburgh (4), genetic s (4), Chernobyl (4), Cold War (4), dragons (4), publishing (4), insects (4), psychology (4), pre-history (4), Titan (3), sleep (3), nanotechnology (3), gardens (3), Ancient World (3), Triton (3), murder (3), Christmas (3), Canada (3), UFOs (3), Christianity (3), Tel Aviv (3), Stanislaw Lem (3), extended lifespan (3), World War One (3), Europe (3), science fiction art (3), The Moon (3), Arthurian legends (3), cannibalism (3), culture (3), literary criticism (3), literature (3), Tony Blair (2), marriage (2), Callisto (2), dinosaurs (2), Jesus (2), utopia (2), Africa (2), slavery (2), research (2), education (2), Texas (2), World War 2 (2), Islam (2), libraries (2), entropy (2), intelligence (2), Australia (2), European Union (2), fashion (2), Italy (2), Japan (2), Jack the Ripper (2), William Shakespeare (2), 1960s (2), work (2), World War Three (2), fairies (2), fiction guides (2), Thailand (2), mermaids (2), Hollywood (2), conventions [conference] (2), H.G.Wells [writer] (2), child children (2), ethics (2), Mercury [planet] (2), Hamlet [play] (2), games (2), Pluto (2), Western (2), South America (2), Middle East (2), Earth (2), Cardiff (2), dwarves (2), Liverpool (2), Marilyn Monroe (2), conspiracy (2), myth (2), academia (2), Turkey (2), football (2), zombies (2), philosophy (2), medecine (2), underwater (2), twins (2), Lithuania (2), hunting (2), cataloguing (2), funerals (2), dance (2), doppelgangers (2), weather (2), cyberspace (2), social work (2), Buddy Holly (2), Atlantis (2), magic (2), contact (2), Wales (2), Vancouver (2), Iran (2), spies (2), superheroes (2), British Museum (2), Elvis Presley (2), Edgar Rice Burroughs (2), John F. Kennedy (2), Bangkok (2), physics. gender (1), prison (1), Stonehenge (1), reincarnation (1), science fictio (1), tetris (1), witches (1), Borges (1), spiders (1), Suffragettes (1), age (1), World War 1 (1), First Mem om the Moon (1), Victorian age (1), Tao Citi (1), British Library (1), bees (1), Brookwood Cemetery (1), slow glass [fictional material (1), holifays (1), health (1), sconce fiction (1), advertising (1), Edward Rickenbacker (1), prehistory (1), Bob Shaw [Author] (1), encryption (1), cyberpunk. (1), sex genetics engineering (1), generation ship se far future (1), spce exploration (1), huoour (1), medicine politics (1), c (1), King Arthur (1), Paris (1), anthropology (1), Spanish Civil War (1), Sherlock Holmes (1), atomic weapons (1), zoos (1), overpopulation (1), disaster (1), American Revolution (1), virtuality (1), farming (1), East Germany (1), karate (1), Spain (1), royalty (1), computing (1), psi (1), Lake Victoria (1), parks (1), Tesla (1), lost world (1), Herman Goering (1), urban life (1), cats (1), Xmas (1), AACR2 (1), arts (1), engineering (1), cyber space (1), chocolate (1), myths (1), alternate history (1), cyborgs (1), freedom (1), Fomalhaut (1), terraforming (1), wales (1), young people (1), Byron (1), North Africa (1), H.G.Wells (1), alternative reality (1), Eastern Europe (1), Holmes (1)
- Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, Tag Mirror
- 18th-19th Century Britain, 50-Something Library Thingers, Anarchism, Atwoodians, Banned Books, BBC Radio 3 Listeners, Best of British, Bits for Brits, Board Game Geeks, Book reviewers, Books in 2025: The Future of the Book World, Brits, Bug Collectors, Build the Open Shelves Classification, Catalogers who LibraryThing, Combiners!, Common Knowledge, WikiThing, HelpThing, Dystopian novels, Early Science Fiction, Elizabethan England, English History - Tudor through Edwardian, Feminist SF, Gamers, glasgow, Libertarian Science Fiction, Librarians who LibraryThing, Libraries who LibraryThing, Library Society of the World, Librarything Series, Martian Fiction, Military History, New Model Army, New Wave Science Fiction and Fantasy, Penguin Books, Penguin Classics, Post-apocalyptic Literature, Reviews reviewed, Science Fiction Fans, Scottish LibraryThingers, Steampunk, Taggers!, The Academy, Time Travel, Alternate Histories and Parallel Worlds
- Feb 19, 2009
- Real Name
- Alan Poulter
- About My Library
- About Me
- I started out as a librarian - after a Traineeship at The British Library I worked there as a Cataloguer. I left to become Deputy Systems Manager at the Science Museum. I movrd into academia as a lecturer in library and information studies at Leeds Polytechnic and later at Loughborough University. I also taught at the Royal School of Librarianship in Copenhagen and the School of Information Management at Victoria University of Wellington.
My last academic post was at Strathclyde University in the Department of Computer and Information Sciences, where I taught information management and librianship courses for fifteen years until retiring in 2015. I am a member of CILIP (the professional association for librarians in the UK).
I read mainly science fiction (but will stray outside the genre) and play all types of boardgames. I was a member of the International Gamers Awards Historical Simulations Committee. I am a member of the British Science Fiction Association joining a long, long time ago ....
- Also On
- Favorite Authors
- Brian W. Aldiss, Nina Allan, Isaac Asimov, Margaret Atwood, Derek Austin, Paolo Bacigalupi, Hilary Bailey, J. G. Ballard, Iain Banks, Stephen Baxter, Barrington J. Bayley, Elizabeth Bear, Greg Bear, Chris Beckett, Gregory Benford, Alfred Bester, Michael Bishop, Terry Bisson, James P. Blaylock, James Blish, John Boyd, Damien Broderick, Eric Brown, Molly Brown, John Brunner, Algis Budrys, Octavia E. Butler, Eugene Byrne, Richard Calder, John Carnell, C. J. Cherryh, Ted Chiang, John Christopher, Arthur C. Clarke, David G. Compton, Michael G. Coney, John Crowley, Tony Daniel, Jack Dann, Samuel R. Delany, Bradley Denton, Philip K. Dick, Paul Di Filipo, Thomas M. Disch, Prathibha Nadeeshani Dissanyake, Jacek Dukaj, Greg Egan, Harlan Ellison, Andreas Eschbach, Christopher Evans, Philip José Farmer, Neil Ferguson, Paul Di Filippo, Michael Flynn, Jeffrey Ford, Daniel F. Galouye, Mary Gentle, William Gibson, Kathleen Ann Goonan, Richard Grant, Colin Greenland, John Gribbin, Russell M. Griffin, Ursula K. Le Guin, Joe Haldeman, Harry Harrison, M. John Harrison, Robert A. Heinlein, Frank Herbert, Robert Holdstock, Barry Hughart, Kij Johnson, Gwyneth Jones, Walter M. Miller, Jr., Richard Kadrey, Keffy R. M. Kehrli, Daniel Keyes, Garry Kilworth, C. M. Kornbluth, Nancy Kress, Jay Lake, Geoffrey A. Landis, Ann Leckie, Tanith Lee, Yoon Ha Lee, Stanisław Lem, Jonathan Lethem, Cixin Liu, Ian R. MacLeod, Ken MacLeod, Barry N. Malzberg, Phillip Mann, Paul J. McAuley, Wil McCarthy, Jack McDevitt, Ian McDonald, Will Mcintosh, Sean McMullen, China Miéville, Michael Moorcock, Pat Murphy, Jamil Nasir, Kim Newman, Nene Ormes, George Orwell, Alexei Panshin, Paul Park, Marge Piercy, Charles Platt, Frederik Pohl, Tim Powers, Christopher Priest, Hannu Rajaniemi, David Redd, Robert Reed, Alastair Reynolds, Adam Roberts, Keith Roberts, Kim Stanley Robinson, Justina Robson, Rudy Rucker, Mary Doria Russell, Joanna Russ, Richard Paul Russo, Geoff Ryman, Ian Sales, Hilbert Schenck, Karl Schroeder, Bob Shaw, Robert Sheckley, Mary Shelley, Lucius Shepard, Lewis Shiner, Swabir Silayi, Robert Silverberg, Dan Simmons, John Sladek, Joan Slonczewski, Norman Spinrad, Brian Stableford, Neal Stephenson, Bruce Sterling, Charles Stross, Arkady Strugatsky, Theodore Sturgeon, Tricia Sullivan, Michael Swanwick, Rachel Swirsky, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Lavie Tidhar, Wilson Tucker, George Turner, Catherynne M. Valente, Genevieve Valentine, Jeff VanderMeer, A. E. van Vogt, John Varley, Jules Verne, Vernor Vinge, Howard Waldrop, Jo Walton, Ian Watson, Peter Watts, Stanley G. Weinbaum, H. G. Wells, Cherry Wilder, Liz Williams, Walter Jon Williams, Connie Willis, Robert Charles Wilson, Gene Wolfe, Jack Womack, John Wyndham, E. Lily Yu, Roger Zelazny, David Zindell, Pamela Zoline
- Interesting Library
- alcarinqa, AltheaAnn, andyl, Ann_Louise, Archren, AsYouKnow_Bob, aulsmith, beniowa, bibliorex, bj, bkhl, bluepigeon, bluetyson, bookstopshere, bookstothesky, bookzen, brainshades, brightcopy, cannellfan, Caomhghin, cesious, chaffinch, chilperic, clong, clorax, cosmicdolphin, crimeminister, d.r.halliwell, deerberry, devilwrites, dkennedy, dukedom_enough, dutts, Echinopsis, edgewood, elinorcaimansands, EthicsGradient, falkman, FicusFan, G1MZT, gregddavies, hblanchard, iansales, imyril, IntangiblesInc, iresam, isabelx, jackdeighton, jmgold, johnnyapollo, jotoyo, kd9, kevinashley, lakanta, Larou, liamn, LisaShapter, LouBriccant, LSDWho, LyleWonders, macha, mart1n, MartinWisse, maspotts, MauraG, MaxedOut, meika, MRN, naokoken, natantus, Noisy, noneofthis, nwhyte, paulhurtley, pcrank, pgmcc, piuss, popomo, psybre, randalhoctor, RandyStafford, RBeffa, RicketyCat, ringman, Robert_Weaver, robertc64, RobertDay, RoboSchro, Robyn_Bradshaw, rojse, rossarn, roundballnz, rowens, rshart3, Rynosseros, sbisson, scott_beeler, sdobie, Seyen, sf_addict, shagger, shrdlu, Shrike58, SimonW11, slothman, snarkhunt, solarisbooks, souloftherose, stellarexplorer, stevetempo, StormRaven, strangefate, strung_out, Surtac, Talvalin, teeps29, tetrachromat, ThirteenthNile, tottman, trandism, tredegartrafalgar, tsangal, Valashain, VersionPerson, weesam, William_T_Goodall, xenchu, ycc