- All collections (1,162), BookMooch Book (12), Your library (841), Amercian Centre - Baldwin Library Yangon (12), Burma Collection (40), National Library of Australia (57), Wishlist (236), Currently reading (19), To read (51), Read but unowned (32), Borrowed from Library (33), Lent to Friend (4), LT Early Reviewers Books (2), Gave as gift (64), Awarded with (1)
- Politics (204), Sociology (111), Australia (109), Philosophy (108), Social Criticism (87), History (80), Economics (78), International Relations (70), Literature (69), Globalization (54), Current Affairs (53), Policy (51), Business (51), Capitalism (50), Social Commentary (48), America (48), Modern History (46), Political Philosophy (46), Essays (40), Biography (40), Psychology (40), politics (39), War (39), Conflict Studies (39), Cultural Studies (38), Government (34), Political Theory (34), sociology (33), Ethics (33), American Politics (32), American Foreign Policy (32), Reference (31), Writing (28), Personal Development (28), Democracy (27), American History (27), Journalism (27), Australian History (26), Autobiography (26), Books (25), philosophy (24), Australian Politics (24), Media (24), Travel (23), Religion (22), Literary Criticism (21), capitalism (21), Military (21), Democratic Theory (19), Dissent (19), 20th Century (18), Communication (18), Environment (18), Culture (18), Books about Books (18), economics (18), social commentary (17), Anthropology (17), non-fiction (17), Terrorism (17), Memoir (16), Political Economy (16), Spirituality (15), Classic (15), Belief Systems (15), Activism (15), Corporations (15), China (15), Australian Foreign Policy (15), social criticism (14), Middle East (14), Diplomacy (14), Theory (14), autobiography (13), Strategy (13), Asia (13), Identity Studies (13), Japan (13), Australian politics (13), Social Theory (13), Education (13), Propaganda (13), American Presidents (13), Media Studies (13), democracy (13), Vietnam (13), Polemic (12), Buddhism (12), Christianity (12), Cold War (12), Foreign Policy (12), Iraq (12), political philosophy (12), political theory (11), psychology (11), Ecology (11), Reporting (11), Sustainability (11), finance (11), Existentialism (11), Political Biography (11), Technology (11), Finance (10), Fiction (10), Science (10), American Literature (10), Marxism (10), Imperialism (10), Publishing (10), Indigenous Studies (10), Criticism (10), British Literature (9), literature (9), Deception (9), United States (9), materialism (9), Australian Aboriginals (9), Intelligence (9), history (9), ethics (9), business (9), Critical Theory (9), memoir (9), Dystopia (9), Anthology (9), Australian Literature (9), Power (9), Reading (9), Australian Labor Party (9), Freedom (8), Iraq War (8), Illustrated (8), Alternative Theory (8), Freedom of Speech (8), Instructional (8), culture (8), Consumerism (8), Adventure (8), Language (8), Asian Studies (8), American Studies (8), Islam (8), Indonesia (8), poverty (8), Cultural Anthropology (8), political economy (8), Creativity (7), European History (7), Thinking (7), Security Studies (7), current affairs (7), Nietzsche (7), Deregulation (7), Communism (7), biography (7), Britain (7), Colonialism (7), government (7), Values (7), Travel Writing (7), International Affairs (7), travel (7), corruption (7), Oppression (7), Commentary (7), 19th Century (7), Libraries (7), critical theory (7), Military History (7), Defence (7), Inspiration (7), Postmodernism (7), Management (6), Satire (6), Interviewing (6), Consciousness (6), Work (6), 1960s (6), Radicalism (6), Foreign Affairs (6), Free Trade (6), Intellectual History (6), Methodology (6), Protest (6), Humour (6), Empire (6), Literary Theory (6), Ideology (6), France (6), Environmentalism (6), Futurology (6), New Age (6), Australian (6), banking (6), Media Criticism (6), Social History (6), Zen (6), Immigration (6), libraries (6), World War II (6), Corporate Culture (6), Rousseau (5), Geography (5), Military Studies (5), Persuasion (5), Anti-Capitalism (5), Marx (5), Modernity (5), Sartre (5), Authors (5), Australian Biography (5), Economic History (5), Peace Studies (5), Public Relations (5), education (5), Neoliberalism (5), Linguistics (5), Realism (5), consumerism (5), Social Policy (5), World War I (5), Social Change (5), Social Geography (5), creativity (5), History of Philosophy (5), Social Movements (5), Internet (5), Inequality (5), morality (5), India (5), anthropology (5), Modernism (5), Mythology (5), Norms (5), Innovation (5), Social Justice (5), United Kingdom (5), Vietnam War (5), Revolution (5), freedom (5), Aboriginals (5), Iran (5), Europe (5), American Culture (5), Nature (5), human rights (5), social policy (5), Australian Media (5), Afghanistan (5), Legal Studies (5), mental health (5), money (5), Plato (5), media (5), Mysticism (5), Bibliophile (5), Book History (4), Corporatism (4), Australian Society (4), Outback (4), progress (4), Social Class (4), Arnhem Land (4), technology (4), Marketing (4), essays (4), French Literature (4), power (4), Southeast Asia (4), Independence (4), United Nations (4), happiness (4), Poverty (4), Books on Books (4), social change (4), activism (4), Political History (4), Popular Philosophy (4), literary criticism (4), revolution (4), Yolngu (4), Media Control (4), Energy (4), Control (4), Economic Policy (4), Intellectuals (4), Urban Studies (4), Business History (4), globalization (4), Travelogue (4), Individualism (4), Violence (4), Mental Health (4), Orwell (4), writing (4), Civil Rights (4), Hegel (4), World History (4), Cambodia (4), Mining (4)
- Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, Tag Mirror
- 1001 Books to read before you die, 30-something LibraryThingers, A Pearl of Wisdom and Enlightenment, All Books Africa, Australian LibraryThingers, Biographies, Memoirs and Autobiographies, Bloggers, BookCrossing Australia!, Books Compared, Books in Books, Books on Books, Books that made me think, Buddhism, Burmese Reference Library Start-Up, Dystopian novels, Early Reviewers, Existentialism, Japanese Culture, Japanese Literature, Literary Snobs, Non-Fiction Readers, Philosophy and Theory, Political Philosophy, Progressive & Liberal!, Radical History, Readers Without Borders, The Prizes, TinyCat, Travel and Exploration literature, Used Books, What Are You Reading Now?, Worldwide Book Search!
- Jan 31, 2008
- Real Name
- Craig L Hodges
- About My Library
- "When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
Reminiscences of Henry Crabb Robinson, Jan. 10, 1824:
"I looked over (Charles) Lamb's library in part. He has the finest collection of shabby books I ever saw; such a number of first-rate works in very bad condition is, I think, nowhere to be found."
"Intellectual Freedom is the right of every individual to both seek and receive information from all points of view without restriction. It provides for free access to all expressions of ideas through which any and all sides of a question, cause or movement may be explored. Intellectual freedom encompasses the freedom to hold, receive and disseminate ideas." - Intellectual Freedom and Censorship Q & A
(I no naka no kawazu taikai wo shirazu)
Literally: A frog in a well does not know the great sea.
Meaning: People are satisfied to judge things by their own narrow experience, never knowing of the wide world outside.
- About Me
- I read in a rather serendipitous fashion, preferring non-fiction over fiction.
"Reading makes immigrants of us all. It takes us away from home, but more important, it finds homes for us everywhere." Jean Rhys
"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence."
Erich Fromm - The Art of Loving.
"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."
“Bibliophile” は日本語で何と言いますか? 書いてください
- Adelaide, South Australia
- Also On
- Currently Reading
- From Abbott to Turnbull : a new direction? : Australian commonwealth administration 2013-2016 by Chris Aulich
- Favorite Authors
- Martin Amis, Hannah Arendt, John Armstrong, Karen Armstrong, Timothy Garton Ash, Andrew Bacevich, Jean Baudrillard, Zygmunt Bauman, Walden Bello, Saul Bellow, Philip Bobbitt, David Brin, Anita Brookner, Joseph Campbell, Fritjof Capra, Noam Chomsky, J. M. Coetzee, Paul Collier, Steve Coll, John W. Dean, Anne Deveson, Eihei Dogen, Terry Eagleton, Barbara Ehrenreich, Rita Felski, Robert Fisk, Erich Fromm, Mahatma Gandhi, Susan George, Emma Goldman, Daniel Goleman, A. C. Grayling, William Greider, Thich Nhat Hanh, Michael Harrington, Seymour M. Hersh, E. J. Hobsbawm, Tom Hodgkinson, Aldous Huxley, Chalmers Johnson, James Joyce, Ryszard Kapuściński, Michael T. Klare, David C. Korten, Jon Krakauer, J. Krishnamurti, Joshua Krook, R. D. Laing, Christopher Lasch, Antony Loewenstein, Alberto Manguel, Robert Manne, Robert W. McChesney, Ian McEwan, Larry McMurtry, George Monbiot, Michel de Montaigne, Loretta Napoleoni, Friedrich Nietzsche, Joseph S. Nye, George Orwell, Amos Oz, Greg Palast, Orhan Pamuk, Michael Parenti, Robert M. Pirsig, Francine Prose, Lisa Pryor, Robert D. Putnam, Richard Rorty, Theodore Roszak, Nicolas Rothwell, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Philippe Sands, Jonathan Schell, Arthur M. Schlesinger, Richard Sennett, Charles Taylor, Henry David Thoreau, Alan Watts, Raymond Williams, Bob Woodward, Gao Xingjian, Howard Zinn, Slavoj Žižek
- Local Favorites
Bookstores: Alice's Bookshop, Ariel Booksellers (Paddington), Avid Reader Bookshop, Babble on Books, Berkelouw Books (Armadale), Berkelouw Books (Paddington Bookshop & Cafe/Wine Bar), Blackwell Charing Cross Road, Book Passion (Dickson Shops), Bookends, Books Kinokuniya - Sydney, Booktalk, Borders - South Yarra - Jam Factory, Camberwell Books, Canty's Bookshop, Carlton Secondhand Books, Chronicles Bookshop, City Basement Books, Co-op Bookshop (Australian National University), Cosmos Books (Tsim Sha Tsui), Cosmos Books (Wanchai), Exchange Bookshop, Flinders Books, Foreign Language Bookshop, Foyles (old Charing Cross branch), Gertrude & Alice Cafe Bookstore, Grub Street Bookshop, Imprints Booksellers, MARUZEN Bookstore - Nagoya Main /丸善 名古屋本店, Monument Books, National Library of Australia Bookshop, New International Bookshop, Page One (Harbour City), Paperback Bookshop, PolyEster Books, Quinto - MOVED, Reader's Feast Bookstore - Melbourne CBD, Readings - Carlton, Readings - Malvern, Readings - Port Melbourne, Readings - St Kilda, Sainsbury's Books, Syber's Books (Penny's), The Avenue Bookstore, The Basilisk Bookshop, The Merchant of Fairness, Waterstone's Kensington, Waterstones London (Piccadilly), Zabriskie Booksellers [Formerly Martin Smith's Bookshop.]
Libraries: AIATSIS Library, Baillieu Library - University of Melbourne, Bond University Library, British Council Library, Cairns City Library, City Library (Melbourne Library Service), Dickson Library (Libraries ACT), J.B. Chifley Library (Australian National University), Kensington Central Library, Kings Cross Library (City of Sydney Library), Malvern Library, National Archives of Australia, National Library of Australia, Pimlico Library, Prahran Library, St Kilda Branch Library (Port Phillip Library Service), State Library of New South Wales, State Library of South Australia, State Library Victoria, Thư viện Quốc gia Việt Nam (National Library of Vietnam), Toorak/South Yarra Library, University of Sydney Fisher Library, Westminster Reference Library
Other: Smiths Alternative
- Interesting Library
- AdamSmith, AIIANational, aiiansw, ajgoddard, alex19, AlexanderPushkin, AlfredDeakin, amandameale, andrewbm, Andy_Warhol, AnthonyBurgess, Antipodean, bcquinnsmom, BenjaminFranklin, BGP, bhowell, bluetyson, BrianLennon, C.S._Lewis, campbs1, ccarlsson, cebarrett, CharlesDarwin, CharlesLamb, Chatterbox, cjbonk, copyedit52, danieldaviswood, davidbawden, DavidFosterWallace, DavidMichie, discutant, dlmeyer, Edward_Gibbon, ejj1955, ElectricRay, epoliq, ErnestHemingway, EvelynWaugh, eye2eye, EzraPoundsLibrary, fdhondt, felius, Franz_Kafka, FrederickDouglass, FScottFitzgerald, gailpool, garlic, GeorgeOrwellLibrary, GloriaMundi, GrahamGreene, GustaveFlaubert, HannahArendtLibrary, hanneman, harold371, hermanmelville, iansales, illprose, ImNotDedalus, JamesJoyceLibrary, JamesKaufman, JasonKeith, jasonpettus, JDobisz, JemmyHope, jensenmk82, JerryMonaco, jmiedema, JohnAdams, johnandlisa, JohnFKennedy, johnivanko, JPourtless, justjim, Kaczynski_Library, KatharineHepburn, KevinCarson, KiplingLibrary, LeonardodaVinci, lonely_planet, LudicDespair, m.scroggins, mailerlibrary, marilynmonroelibrary, markell, mccallco, MindfulOne, MLister, Mr.Durick, mrspenny, Neil_Cotter, OscarWildesLibrary, ozpierre, pattricejones, patwagner, PhaedraB, Philip_Cunliffe, philosojerk2, Pummzie, RalphWaldoEmerson, rcc, Rembrandt, RichardFrancisBurton, riurik, robertmenzies, rwhe, SamuelJohnsonLibrary, SamuelRoth, Savages, sdarwall, shawjonathan, SilentInAWay, sonyagreen, srobertsthomson, stephandderek, stevenschroeder, SusanSontag, susiebright, SylviaPlathLibrary, Syme, teewillis1981, TELawrence, TempWmFExperiment, TheresaWilliams, ThomasJefferson, ThomasMann, timspalding, TomVeal, w.h.auden, WalkerPercy, wfzimmerman, WilliamButlerYeats, WilliamWilberforce, WolfgangAMozart, WoolfLibrary, wrmjr66, ZenCentrumAmsterdam