- Your library (2,191)
- littrature (57), american as coca cola (32), very french (21), old school (20), poetry (19), scifi (16), genuflect (16), fantasy (14), hippie daze (13), wacky (13), medieval (12), money (11), oh so very deep (9), mythical (9), malcontent (9), russky (9), absinthe-ful (9), think (8), travel (8), politics (8), futurama (7), american H (7), nazi (7), vive la femme (7), magical (7), spooky (6), beach fare (6), nasty (5), laudanum (4), oriental (4), the twenties (4), pretty pictures (4), euro H (3), musical (3), science (3), hero (3), tool (3), god help us (2), anthropo (2), carrot juice (2), chess (2), messianic and a trifle too satanic (1), swashbuckle (1), satire (1), biography (1), history (1), Cigar (1), mead (1), industrial history (1), mystic fog (1)
- Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, Tag Mirror
- Mar 20, 2008
- Real Name
- About My Library
Books I've read recently: http://www.librarything.com/topic/147582
Books which formed my worldview:
Zen Mind, Beginners Mind
Darwin Among the Machines
The Brothers Karamazov
Lark Rise to Candleford
And this story by Chekov, which has haunted me for almost half a century:
Create your own visitor map!
- About Me
- "I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you – Nobody – too?
Then there's a pair of us?
Don't tell! they'd advertise – you know!
How dreary – to be – Somebody!
How public – like a Frog –
To tell one's name – the livelong June –
To an admiring Bog!" - Emily Dickinson
And as a Nobody, I aspire to be a Nothing...
(anecdote from In Through The Labyrinth, by Peter Occhiogrosso)
"The highest rabbi of the city...comes to the synagogue on High Holy Days. When the Ark is opened he kneels down, prostrates himself, and says,'O, Lord,Thou art everything, I am nothing.' The local rabbi sees the big rabbi doing this, so he kneels down beside him and says, 'O, Lord, Thou art everything, I am nothing.'
The Cantor sees both of them, he kneels down and says, O Lord, Thou art everything, I am nothing.'
Then the little janitor - the shammash, the smallest officer in the entire establishment- sees what's going on. He kneels down and says 'O Lord, Thou art everything, I am nothing.'
So the cantor pokes the rabbi and says, 'Look who thinks he's a nothing!'"
- Also On
- Favorite Authors
- Charles Baudelaire, Elizabeth Bowen, Barbara Comyns, Emily Dickinson, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Lawrence Durrell, John Galsworthy, Robert E. Howard, Jack Kerouac, Tanith Lee, H. P. Lovecraft, W. Somerset Maugham, Iris Murdoch, Douglas Preston, Frederic Prokosch, Jean Rhys, Elizabeth Taylor, Alexander Theroux, Flora Thompson, Henry David Thoreau, Violet Trefusis, H. G. Wells, Antonia White
- Local Favorites
Bookstores: Authors Books and Music, Books in Stock, Books On The Avenue, Books, Books, Books, Bounce Back Books, City Books, Eljay's Used Books, Half Moon Books (Kingston, NY), Inquiring Mind, Lyrical Ballad Bookstore, Mondragon Bookstore, Old Saratoga Books, Our Bookstore (Saugerties, NY), Paradox Books, Riverow Bookshop, The Bibliobarn, Title Wave Books - Midtown Store, Webster's Bookstore Café
- alaskayo, AlexandraRobbins, anniemktx, asgalbraith, BenjaminHahn, BlackSheepDances, bookjunkie, CelesteM, ClayLord, copyedit52, DavidX, dchaikin, dcozy, ellengryphon, English99, erkie2007, errata, eyescorp, floyd_dangle, francescocaligiuri, freckles1987, g0ldenboy, iatethecloudsforyou, jcmcgowan, jmorian, kambrogi, kandinsky, keylawk, kjellika, KoobieKitten, kswolff, libraryhermit, lil_ghostcrab, LolaWalser, Macumbeira, mccardey, mediavirus, merry10, Michael_P, ncgraham, nobooksnolife, nohrt4me, nymith, paradoxosalpha, PensiveCat, Pfanner, PghDragonMan, pueben, Pummzie, RBeffa, redpersephone, rocketjk, Sandydog1, slickdpdx, theoldman, whitewavedarling, WillowOne, wunderkind
- Interesting Library