- All collections (2,886), 2023 Read (6), 2022 Read (1), 2021 Read (5), 2020 Read (13), 2019 Read (12), 2018 Read (10), 2017 Read (24), 2016 Read (26), 2015 Read (32), 2014 Read (30), 2013 Read (2), 2012 Read (38), 2011 Read (45), 2010 Read (50), 2009 Read (98), Library of America (125), Currently reading (5), Cookbooks (68), Read, not owned (15), Paused (3), Film Library (3), Wishlist (9), Favorites (10), To be read (147), Kindle E-Book (55), Your library (2,799)
- Military History (516), Science Fiction (481), Biography (352), Fantasy (318), US History (217), Sword and Sorcery (192), WW2 (185), US Military (160), Horror Fiction (157), US Army (150), History (149), Supernatural Fiction (131), Politics (110), Crime Fiction (107), 20th Century American Literature (86), Fiction (66), Recipes (57), Vietnam War (55), American Revolution (55), Literature (54), Film (51), Special Operations (47), Military Science (45), Historical Fiction (44), Mystery (44), Terrorism (44), Ancient Rome (43), Cultural Studies (42), Cooking (42), Noir (41), Ghost Stories (41), Third Reich (40), US Presidents (40), New Jersey (39), Philosophy (39), Religion (39), Baking (37), Ghosts (36), American Civil War (36), International Relations (34), Local Legends (33), 19th Century American Literature (32), Hauntings (32), Middle East (32), Poetry (31), Social Commentary (31), Film History (30), England (27), Cold War (25), Acting (25), Psychology (24), Intelligence (24), US Navy (23), Cthulhu Mythos (23), Ancient History (23), Economics (22), Asatru (22), Korean War (22), Sherlock Holmes (20), Germany (20), New York City (20), Filmography (20), Film Studies (20), Books (20), Science (19), Leadership (19), Heathenism (19), Food (18), Ancient Greece (18), Military Reference (17), WW1 (17), Mythology (17), Critical Thinking (17), Journalism (17), Literary History (17), Supernatural (17), Paratroopers (16), Book History (16), Operation Iraqi Freedom (16), Humor (16), Espionage (16), US Constitution (15), Speeches and Letters (15), Hard Boiled (15), Industry (14), 18th Century American Literature (14), Cookies (14), Spy Fiction (14), US Marine Corps (13), American Indians (13), Authors (13), Reference (13), Private Investigators (12), Cakes (12), Nutrition (12), Vampires (12), European History (12), Christianity (12), Crime (12), Islam (12), Napoleonic Wars (12), CS Army (12), US Foreign Policy (11), Roman Emperors (11), Iraq (11), Horror (11), Scotland (11), Myths and Legends (11), Breads (11), Cosmology (11), CIA (11), Soviet Union (11), Travel Guide (11), FBI (10), Art (10), Essays (10), Africa (10), 9/11 (10), Colonial America (10), Epic Poetry (10), Classical Music (10), Military Intelligence (10), France (10), Desserts (9), Israel (9), Submarines (9), Veterans Affairs (9), Pies (9), Literary Criticism (9), Classical Literature (9), POWs (9), Norse Mythology (9), Royal Navy (8), Survival (8), Sword and Soul (8), Jersey Shore (8), Paganism (8), Physics (8), Brownies (8), Afghanistan (8), Colonialism (8), Libertarianism (8), Agriculture (8), Directors (8), Cats (7), Letters (7), Comics (7), US Government (7), Backpacking (7), Japan (7), Writing (7), Pulp Fiction (7), Hiking (7), Old West (7), Combat Mindset (7), Western Fiction (7), Paranormal Investigation (7), Russia (7), Waffen SS (7), Royal Army (7), New York (7), Film Noir (7), Law Enforcement (7), Gunfighters (6), Operation Overlord (6), Scones (6), Civil Rights (6), Solitude (6), Roman Legions (6), Mercenaries (6), Diabetes (6), Dogs (6), Language (6), Halloween (6), Operation Enduring Freedom (6), Imperial Japanese Navy (6), Stoicism (6), Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (6), Pine Barrens (6), Pacific Theater of Operations (6), Spirituality (6), Foreign Policy (5), Iraq War (5), Music History (5), Diet (5), Local History (5), Technology (5), Farming (5), Royal Air Force (5), Mental Health (5), War of 1812 (5), Somalia (5), Horror Films (5), French and Indian War (5), Astronomy (5), Slavery (5), Business (5), Rangers (5), OSS (5), US Air Force (5), Desert Storm (5), Tycoons (5), Israeli Defense Forces (5), Muffins (5), Covert Operations (5), Tarts (5), Central America (5), China (4), Spiritualism (4), Canning (4), Pancakes (4), French Revolution (4), English Monarchs (4), Commerce (4), Medieval History (4), Conspiracies (4), Art History (4), Zombies (4), Shakespeare (4), Pulp (4), Carthage (4), Mexican War (4), Arthurian Legends (4), Pioneers (4), Quantum Theory (4), Fairy Tales (4), KGB (4), Music (4), Renaissance (4), Medicine (4), Physical Fitness (4), Knitting Patterns (4), Television History (4), Peloponnesian War (4), Animal Psychology (4), Greco-Persian Wars (4), Continental Army (4), Communism (4), Desert Shield (4), Soups (4), Animal Behaviour (4), Objectivism (4), Knitting (4), Comedy (4), Peanuts (4), Political Science (4), World Trade Center (4), Waffles (4), Memoir (3), 20th Century English Literature (3), Music Reference (3), The Bible (3), Steampunk (3), Stews (3), Film Criticism (3), Mass Media (3), Age of Reason (3), Gastronomy (3), Rock and Roll (3), Domestic Terrorism (3), Kriegsmarine (3), Crepes (3), Jersey Devil (3), Ancient Egypt (3), Korea (3), North Africa (3), Counter-Terrorism (3), Caribbean (3), Wehrmacht (3), Ground Zero (3), Ottoman Empire (3), Age of Enlightenment (3), Luftwaffe (3), Medal of Honor (3), Army National Guard (3), LRRPs (3), Uniforms and Equipment (3), Delaware Bay (3), Persian Gulf War (3), Asia (3), Internet (3), Information Technology (3), Pennsylvania (3), Training (3), Censorship (3), Werewolves (3), Superheroes (3), Pirates (3), Race Relations (3), Philanthropy (3), Health (3), Roman Empire (3), Quantum Physics (3), Guerilla Warfare (3), Photography (3), Medieval (3), Racism (3), Dictionary (3), Assassinations (3), China-Burma-India Theater of Operations (3)
- Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, Tag Mirror
- 40-Something Library Thingers, 75 Books Challenge for 2009, 75 Books Challenge for 2010, 75 Books Challenge for 2011, American Revolution & Founding Fathers History, BBC Radio 3 Listeners, Booze!, Cookbookers, Ghost and from beyond the graveyard, Ghost Stories, Past and Present, Happy Heathens, History Readers: Clio's (Pleasure?) Palace, History: On learning from and writing history, Libertarian Cooking, Military History, Political Conservatives, Science Fiction Fans, Second World War History, The Green Dragon, The Weird Tradition, Thing(amabrarian)s That Go Bump in the Night
- Jan 4, 2007
- About My Library
- JAN 2021: CURRENTLY READING
2021: READING FOR THE YEAR
2020: READING FOR THE YEAR
2019: READING FOR THE YEAR
2018: READING FOR THE YEAR
2017: READING FOR THE YEAR
2016: READING FOR THE YEAR
2015: READING FOR THE YEAR
2014: READING FOR THE YEAR
2012: READING FOR THE YEAR
2011: READING FOR THE YEAR
2010: READING FOR THE YEAR
2009: READING FOR THE YEAR
- About Me
- Born and raised in Noo Yawk City, I now live in rural small town South Carolina, far from the madding crowd. Here I find some measure of peace.
I scribble in my journal and on my blog. I read. I attempt to understand what happened. How the hell did I get from there to here.
Retired Army NCO (30 years been there, done that), an ex-soldier (if there is such a thing), I'm slowly creating my sanctuary/sacred space in the backyard with a shade garden. It's where I sit, read, write, and wax philosophical. Usually with my best friend Tina. My heart and my love, who helps me to find balance and a measure of peace.
In the kitchen I bake, using techniques and ingredients as close to real old-fashioned farmhouse style as possible. I use baking as a form of therapy along with my gardening.
Whether you are for, against or neutral about what is going on around the world I ask for one thing only. To be able to curl up with a book in the quiet moments is a balm for the mind and soul during tough times.
Visit here: Books For Soldiers
or here: Operation Paperback
"Live right so when it comes your time to die,
you will not be like those whose hearts are filled with
the fear of death, who weep and pray for a little more
time to live their lives over again in a different way.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."
"I was that which others did not want to be,
I went where others feared to go,
and did what others failed to do.
I asked nothing of those who gave nothing,
and reluctantly accepted the thought of eternal loneliness,
should I fail.
I have seen the face of terror, felt the stinging cold of fear,
and enjoyed the sweet taste of a moment's love.
I have cried in pain and in hope,
but most of all I have lived times others would say were best forgotten.
At least some day I will be able to say,
that I am proud of what I was.
"There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!"
-A Book by Emily Dickinson
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
-As You Like It (Act 5 scene 1), William Shakespeare
"I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book."
"The smallest bookstore still contains more ideas of worth than have been presented in the entire history of television."
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
"A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say."
-Italo Calvino, The Literature Machine
"I have often reflected upon the new vistas that reading opened to me. I knew right there in prison that reading had changed forever the course of my life. As I see it today, the ability to read awoke in me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive."
I grew up in a house full of books and will be eternally grateful to my parents for that. I have been there and done that and helped to make history with the places I have been, things I have done and things I have seen. Thirty years, one month, and eleven days down this road as a soldier but it has come to an end. I'm now retired for medical reasons. The infantry is not a good environment for a half-deaf diabetic with bum knees.
- Newberry, SC
- Currently Reading
- Favorite Authors
- Rick Atkinson, Nicholas A. Basbanes, Daniel P. Bolger, Max Boot, Bruce Chadwick, Raymond Chandler, C. J. Cherryh, G. K. Chesterton, Michael Dirda, Arthur Conan Doyle, David Drake, James F. Dunnigan, David Hackett Fischer, Alan Furst, Peter F. Hamilton, Dashiell Hammett, Robin Hobb, Robert E. Howard, Tanya Huff, Paul Johnson, Robert D. Kaplan, Tom Kratman, H. P. Lovecraft, Alberto Manguel, Dave R. Palmer, H. Beam Piper, John Ringo, David J. Skal, S. M. Stirling, Karl Edward Wagner, David Weber, Michael Z. Williamson
- Local Favorites
- Anastasia169, Aragmar, Busifer, callmejacx, clamairy, codyed, davidabrams, docjohnb, Doug1943, drneutron, Eddie_Long, erinlale, GeorgiaDawn, janetemorris, Jesse_wiedinmyer, jillmwo, KentonSem, kidzdoc, LisaShapter, littlegeek, LucyMarie, MerryMary, mgnlcs, mhatchett, missylc, mmignano11, Morphidae, mrgrooism, MrsLee, MuseofHell, pambonnell, RachelfromSarasota, rawREN, rnsulentic, smartblonde, steiac, TerryD.Hooker, Tina.Miller
- Interesting Library
- 111ScienceFiction, ACDoyleLibrary, Ammianus, AsYouKnow_Bob, Auz_from_Ottawa, Barton, Billhere, blackdogbooks, bluetongue, bookbesotted, bookstothesky, cal8769, clamairy, CSL, Dann_D, docjohnb, Donogh, DVanderlinde, ejj1955, GeorgeSPatton, Glassglue, goddesspt2, haiirouchuujin, HarmlessTed, Highlander99, jfclark, jmnlman, JPB, kathi, KentonSem, kidzdoc, ksmyth, LamSon, littlegeek, LucasTrask, MAJGross, McFarland, MerryMary, mhatchett, MikeBriggs, Morphidae, nathanm, NativeRoses, Nicole_VanK, PaulFAustin, pithhelmet, QuesterofTruth, RobertEHoward, RoseCityReader, rudel519, sergerca, sgtbigg, Shrike58, spinster_with_cats, steiac, StormRaven, surly, TadAD, Tanks, thequestingvole, Urquhart, usnmm2, varielle, WholeHouseLibrary