- Your library (660)
- Borrowed (54), horse-racing (34), thrillers (34), Spenser mystery/thriller series (33), suspense/thriller (29), Regency romance (25), science fiction/political philosophy (22), suspense/thriller/series/Travis McGee (21), contemporary romance/supernatural/Barbara Mertz (20), series mystery/China Bayles/herbal lore (17), mystery thriller series/Alex Delaware (16), mystery/thrillers/series/Matt Scudder (16), Espionage thriller/1940s and 1950s/ Tommy Hambledon series (15), suspense/thriller/series (14), contemporary romance/British/ no explicit sex/ Borrowed (13), science fiction/fantasy (12), historical fiction (11), historical novel (11), late 18th -early 19th century England (11), Poldark series (11), legal thriller series/ Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi (10), children's classic/American pioneer life after the Civil War (10), historical romance (9), food history (8), humorous thriller series / Stephanie Plum bounty hunter (8), children's classic/modern classic/fantasy (7), Jesse Stone mystery/thriller series (7), contemporary romance/British/ no explicit sex (7), science fiction series/ Miles Vorkosigan (7), mystery/thriller/Deep South (7), historical romance/well-written & well-researched/ medieval England (6), romantic suspense - thriller (6), British mystery (5), British history (5), mystery/thriller (5), world history (5), mystery thriller series/Peter Decker (5), humorous tales of a 1950s Italian priest (5), Sunny Randall mystery/thriller series (5), contemporary thriller (4), mystery/thriller series/FBI Special Agent Pendergast book (4), mystery/series/humor/Bernie Rhodenbarr (4), Owned (4), American history (4), current events (4), suspense/thriller/series/Jane Whitefield (4), humor (4), historical romance/Amelia Peabody (4), true crime/forensic profiling (3), Borrowed/mystery/thriller series/FBI Special Agent Pendergast book (3), To be Read/American history/atheism (3), suspense/thriller/short stories (3), historical romantic thriller (3), 1950s American life (3), On Wish List to be Owned (3), mystery thriller short stories (3), world history/food history (3), food history/world history/recipes (3), historical romance/thriller/elements of the supernatural (3), contemporary thriller/genetic manipulation (3), world culture (3), Islamic culture (3), science fiction/series/Heris Serrano/strong heroine (3), science fiction series/ Vorkosigan universe (3), historical fiction/Spanish conquest of Mexico (2), Borrowed/ classic adventure tale (2), pirate swashbuckler (2), historical mystery/Jane Austen as sleuth (2), legal thriller series/Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi (2), historical fiction/ancient Greece (2), classic mystery series (2), early Roman emperors (2), suspense/thriller/series/Keller (2), Borrowed/On Wish List to Own (2), children's literature/Jewish tenement life in turn of the century NYC (2), feminist history (2), science fiction/series/Esmay Suiza/strong heroine (2), Borrowed/contemporary suspense thriller/mystery series/Quinn Parker series/On Wish List to Own (2), Roman history (2), short stories (2), medical thriller (2), social history (2), fictionalized (2), early 20th century (2), swashbuckler (2), Regency England (2), with recipes (2), British mystery/romance (2), exceptionally well-written (2), Borrowed/contemporary thriller (2), feminism (2), contemporary mystery/thriller/ESP (1), contemporary thriller/extraterrestrial contact (1), contemporary thriller/genetic manipulation/dog as hero (1), contemporary thriller/Japanese business culture (1), classic children's literature/ turn of the 20th century China/ growing up/ (1), set in Sarasota (1), based on four real-life histories/heart-breaking (1), medical thriller/bioterrorism (1), FL (my current county of residence) (1), horror/the supernatural/demonic possession (1), medical science/emerging viral threats (1), legal thriller/ mystery / set in Sarasota (1), science fiction/political philosophy -- 1st Heinlein book ? (1), contemporary thriller/time travel (1), contemporary American history (1), Borrowed/ contemporary thriller/atheism & religion (1), Borrowed/ mystery/thriller (1), mystery/thriller/ southwest archaeology/Anasazi Indians (1), contemporary thriller /sexual harassment (1), contemporary thriller/nanobots (1), historical fiction/based on BBC series Upstairs /late 19th century Britain (1), fictionalized story of a chimpanzee raised in a human family (1), Sunny Randall mystery/ thriller series (1), historical fiction/alternate version of Beowulf (1), contemporary medical thriller/viruses from space (1), mystery/thriller series/Agent Wyman Ford/sequel to THE CODEX (1), contemporary thriller/mutated gorillas (1), life pre-and post-Civil War (1), literary excerpts about food (1), Borrowed/nonfiction/adoption/special needs child/autobiographical (1), Borrowed/Western/gunslingers (1), Borrowed/contemporary thriller/Lucas Davenport series/police procedural (1), Borrowed/classic literature/women's fiction mid 1800s (1), Social history/American history/Amish customs (1), Borrowed/true crime thriller/spiritualism/mediums (1), Borrowed/contemporary thriller/Priestly pedophilia/A Jumbled Mess of a Book (1), Borrowed/period mystery/Mary Russell series (1), Borrowed/contemporary crime stories by new writers (1), Borrowed/contemporary suspense thriller/Doc Ford series (1), Borrowed/contemporary thriller/A Jumbled Mess of a Book (1), Borrowed/social history/fiction/circus life (1), Borrowed/contemporary thriller/Einstein (1), Borrowed/contemporary history/slavery in the Arab world (1), Borrowed/contemporary history/Islamic culture (1), Borrowed/contemporary thriller/Elvis Cole series (1), contemporary thriller/Carol Starkey series (?) (1), Borowed/contemporary nonfiction/Spiritualism/Life after Death/On Wish List to Be Owned (1), Borrowed/classic literature/escapism (1), Early Reviewer copy/contemporary murder mystery (1), Current Events/World Culture/Women's Issues (1), Borrowed/contemporary thriller/Keller series (1), Borrowed/contemporary medical thriller (1), Borrowed/period mystery/post WWI England coal strike (1), Borrowed/fantasy/retelling of the Beowulf saga (1), historical fiction/the tale of the end of the Golden Age of Athens (1), historical fiction/the life of Alexander the Great (1), American cultural and food history (1), food history/American history19th century recipes (1), Mary Poppin's recipes with accompanying stories (1), historical fiction/the early life of Alexander the Great (1), historical fiction/aftermath of Alexander the Great's death (1), humorous essays on English history (1), romantic thriller/late 18th century Cornwall/ supernatural elements (1), historical romance/thriller (1), historical fiction/story of Theseus (1), American social and food history /1950s and 1960s (1), American social and food history (1), Borrowed/ classic adventure tale/ On Wish List to Own (1), Borrowed/Scottish police procedural (1), Borrowed/short crime stories based on traditional fairy tales (1), Borrowed/contemporary suspense thriller/Jack Reacher series/On Wish List to Own (1), Borrowed/ Scottish police procedural (1), food history/American history/recipes (1), from the 1900s through the 1960s (1), chatty notes and recipes from a lover of food (1), and words (1), fantasy/horror short stories (1), mid 20th century America (1), children's literature/growing up in Plymouth Plantation/ Owned (1), Victorian series mystery (1), historical mystery/British cozy (1), To be Read/Home Repair is Homicide series (1), To be Read/popular author/suspense thriller (1), To be Read/current events/Islamic extremists (1), mystery/British/humor (1), British mystery/history/Richard III (1), and recipes (1), with photographs (1), science fiction/alternative history (1), Elizabethan adventure (1), suspense/thriller/British/horse-racing (1), To be Read/thriller/series/Jack Reacher (1), mystery/thriller/Petra Connor (1), To be Read/feminism/current events/U.S. history (1), mystery thriller series/Alex Delaware. Owned (1), mystery thriller series/Lucas Davenport (1), murder/mystery/Jerusalem (1), To be Read/American history (1), mystery thriller series/Evan Tanner (1), mystery thriller series/Chip Harrison (1), volume 1 only/classic mystery series (1), pastiche of Sherlock Holmes/modern (1), LOST (1), early American history (1), Civil War (1), science fiction (1), Russian history (1), tribalism (1), Renaissance Italy (1), women's studies (1), 19th century literature (1), religion (1), murder mystery (1), 1970s (1), commentary (1), gardening (1), food in literature (1), fundamentalism (1), FL (1), Africa (1), horror/supernatural (1), political commentary (1), American social history (1), Restoration England (1), interracial marriage (1), Charles II (1), Elizabethan England (1), historical fiction/the Sun King/Louise de la Valliere (1), legal thriller series /Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi (1), science fiction/ Vorkosigan universe (1), science fiction series/Miles Vorkosigan (1), contemporary romance/British/ no explicit sex / Borrowed (1), forensic mystery/thriller series/ Nick Polchak/ Borrowed (1), contemporary romance/British/no explicit sex (1), mystery/thriller/contemporary (1), Mary Todd's Family and President Lincoln (1), historical fiction/historical romance/Elizabethan England (1), contemporary romantic thriller (1), historical fiction/historical romance/Regency England and Revolutionary France (1), historical fiction/historical romance/late Victorian era England/historical thriller (1), historical fiction/ part of the BBC series (1), historical fiction/War of 1812 era (1), historical fiction/life of boy emperor Varius Antoninus/Roman history (1), Italy and England / mid to late -1700s (1), science fiction/fantasy classic (1), humorous thriller series/Stephanie Plum bounty hunter (1), contemporary romantic thriller/mystery (1), historical fiction/romance/British/late 18th century (1), historical fiction/War of 1812 era/America (1), retitled as The Master of Penrose/historical fiction/War of 1812 era (1), historical fiction/ War of 1812 era/British (1), historical fiction/romance/thriller/early 19th century Portugal (1), classic children's literature/life in late 17th century Connecticut colony/ Owned (1), period writing/feminist literature/mid-Victorian era America (1), Spanish conquest of Mexico (1), 1500s Spain (1), the beginnings of the French Revolution (1), privateer romance (1), France 1400s (1), historical fiction/life and times of Louis XI (1), Borrowed/ On Wish List to be Owned (1), horror/classic (1), the Borgias (1), France 1523 (1), white slavery in Jamaica (1), "The Merry Monarch" (1), historical fiction/conquest of Babylon (1), first English settlers in Virginia/ historical romance (1), historical fiction/historical romance/late Elizabethan era (1), period writing/the blood and thunder stories of L.M. Alcott/mid-Victorian era/post-Civil War America/feminist literature (1), historical fiction/early British history/pre-Norman conquest (1), historical fiction/alternative life of Queen Guinevere (1), pact with the Devil (1), historical fiction/Queen Isabella's fight to defeat the Moors/ Owned (1), historical fiction/ France and Constantinople 1400s (1), To Be Read/historical fiction/life and travels of Marco Polo (1), humorous thriller series /Stephanie Plum bounty hunter (1)
- Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, Tag Mirror
- American History, Awful Lit., Baker Street and Beyond, Battlestar Galactica, Books Compared, Booze!, Crime, Thriller & Mystery, Go Review That Book!, Happy Heathens, Historical Fiction, King's Dear Constant Readers, LTers with dogs, MyPeopleConnection Book Clubs, Name that Book, Non-Fiction Readers, Orson Scott Card, Pro and Con, Reading Resolutions, Richard III, Science Fiction Fans, The 'verse, The Black Orchid (A Nero Wolfe Group), The Green Dragon, Unread Support Group, Used Books, What Are You Reading Now?, Women of Mystery
- Jun 8, 2008
- Real Name
- Rachel Wasserman
- About My Library
- My library extends from childhood favorites (The Wind in the Willows, the Miss Bianca books, a few of Frances Hodgson Burnett's children's classics) to works on social history (my particular love). I enjoy classic sci-fi (Heinlein, Zelazny, the great Orson Scott Card, Doris Egan, Lois McMaster Bujold), fantasy (Marta Randall, Marion Zimmer Bradley, the inimitable Tolkien and JK Rowling's Harry Potter,and of course Terry Pratchett's Disc World delights)to mysteries and suspense thrillers. I enjoy dipping into an Edgar Wallace (no, I'm not that old, but I am an antiquarian in some ways)and own almost all of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe oeuvre. I still adore Manning Coles (set pre and immediately post WWII), and once in a while indulge in a little masochistic Matt Helm (say what you will, Donald Hamilton was a hard-headed realist who could write darned well). I enjoy Harlan Coben, adore Lee Child, was an aficionado of both Dick Francis and Robert K. Tanenbaum's work until their writing style changed so drastically -- Francis b/c old age and then death prompted other, and far less gifted writers to insert their words under his name; Tanenbaum for what I can only assume were personal reasons after the loss of his partner; and even read a Regency romance or two (the EARLY Roberta Gellis's, Georgette Heyer, Sheila Bishop).
A few things to note about my library catalog. I'm still in the process of adding books, both those I own and those I've borrowed from the library. I have read almost every book on in my library list, even if I haven't always rated it. I do NOT own every book in my catalog, mostly because as a single mom and a high school teacher in southwest Florida, I hover between being poverty-stricken and barely making ends meet. So, since I am on a draconian budget (and have been for much of my adult life) I am an avid and frequent borrower from the public library system. I can't afford new books -- even paperback prices are usually beyond my budget. So I prowl through used book stores, and try to restrict my book acquisitions to those I know that I'll want to read, and reread.
I'm in the process of adding the tag "Borrowed" to my catalog to indicate that these are books I do not own.
Unlike many LTers, I have only a small pile of TBR books -- those few I have on hold through my local library system, or the few I've purchased b/c I know they'll make great additions to my classroom library. I'm thinking of emulating the few teachers I've met on LT who post lists of their classroom book collections and their professional reference shelves. (So many tags, so little time!)
I'm always looking for interesting books to tempt my students to read. I am close with a number of my students, and my room is always open to them at lunch (I haven't eaten in the teacher's lounge for almost the ten or eleven years I've been teaching), so I get to know what interests them.
And one other thing about my reading habits -- I am an avid reader, but that includes rereading old favorites. See ABOUT ME for more on that.
- About Me
- I am a high school history teacher in Sarasota, Florida, and an inveterate, voracious, almost omnivorous reader. During the school year I read one or two new books a week (new in the sense that I haven't read them previously), and average between four and seven new books a week during my summer break. My addiction to the written word dates back to third grade; and while I haven't yet gotten to the point of holding up convenience stores to support my habit, it is indicative that most of the used bookstores in the area know my face if not my name! Thank God for Goodwill -- great hardcovers for as low as $2.99. And I've already had to replace my library card, as it was practically worn through (not an easy feat since it's plastic!). But as much as I LOVE to read, I love to TALK about what I've read just as much -- and herein lies the problem. I have had enormous difficulty in finding kindred spirits in this area, both in the flesh and on-line. While many folks do indeed love to read, it seems darned few are either interested in or capable of engaging in a literate and articulate discussion about what they've read. I've joined both Shelfari (ugh!) and individual author e-groups, and have been frustrated beyond belief by the inability or unwillingness of most of my correspondents to engage in any kind of in-depth discussion about the books we have in common. So. . .dialogue definitely desired!
- Sarasota, Florida
- Favorite Authors
- Louisa May Alcott, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Lois McMaster Bujold, Elizabeth Cadell, Manning Coles, Michael Crichton, Arthur Conan Doyle, Doris Egan, Dick Francis, Donald Hamilton, Robert A. Heinlein, Georgette Heyer, Jean Kerr, John D. MacDonald, Elizabeth Moon, Andre Norton, P. J. O'Rourke, Robert B. Parker, Elizabeth Peters, Terry Pratchett, Mary Renault, Dorothy L. Sayers, Rex Stout, Josephine Tey
- AngelicaHarris, Bookshop_Lady, cancer53, cmbohn, DianeS, dmschoeller, edlynskey, emaestra, GeorgiaDawn, hobbitprincess, janeajones, janiswatson, Kirconnell, ladymacbeth1, lillesmilla, margad, MarianV, MarthaHuntley, mckait, MrsLee, ninjapenguin, OldSarge, ShirleyUgest, Starsong, theoldman, Thomas.Taylor, TKKenyon, vq5p9
- Interesting Library