- All collections (10,315), Your library (10,315), Currently reading (9), Favorites (1)
- French (1,357), Tolkien (569), Fantasy (503), Modern Firsts (484), Poetry (440), Arthurian (405), Drama (360), ABC (356), 17th century (321), Early fantasy (292), Pleiade (283), 20th century (211), Medieval Literature (210), 16th century (194), Mystery (187), Shakespeare (180), Doyle (177), Theology (164), Children's (162), Early Editions (147), Renaissance Drama (145), Old French (145), 19th century (145), Ghost stories (139), World War I (133), 18th century (129), Middle English (112), Boswell/Johnson (108), Vintage adventure (103), Buchan (84), Library of America (80), Ornithology (75), EETS (72), Arthurian: Criticism (66), 20th century British (66), Arkham (62), Essays/Letters (60), Series (60), Pulp (60), World War II (55), General literary criticism (52), Vance (50), Literary biography (49), General military history (46), Art (45), Classics (45), Arthurian: Perceval (43), Military/Naval fiction (42), Yale (42), Pearl-Poet (40), Restoration Drama (39), Reference (38), Travel (35), Sapper (33), Short stories (33), Law (33), Nature (33), Donne (31), Musicology (30), Haggard (28), E (28), Pre-contemporary history (27), 21st century (27), Paleontology (25), Caxton (24), Arthurian: Chretien (23), Cooking (22), Lexicography (22), Dunsany (21), Manuscript Art (20), Early science fiction (20), Verne (20), Gothic (18), Sermons (18), NYRB Classics (18), Arthurian: Tristan (17), Arthurian: Lancelot (17), Old English (17), Machen (16), Art History (14), Espionage (14), Arthurian: German (14), Folio Society (14), Antiquarian (13), Walpole (13), Bouquins (13), Arthurian: Malory (13), Pre-modern literature (12), Baseball (12), Dickens (12), Churchill (11), Harvard (10), Anglo-Saxon (10), Mozart (10), Cartoons (10), French Revolution (10), * (10), Medieval literature (9), Civil War (9), Blake (9), 19th century British (9), Bibliography (9), 9780345499110 (9), Science fiction (9), Humor (8), Historiography (7), Dance (7), Philology (7), Parenting (6), Manuscript (5), Arthurian: Misc. French (5), ANTS (5), Robin Hood (5), Netherlandish art (5), Dutch (5), Printing/Bookselling (4), Politics (4), STS (4), 2 (4), Sports (4), Arthurian: Misc. French Texts (4), French Pulp (3), Supernatural fiction (3), 6 (3), Boswell/Johson (3), Holocaust (3), Arthurian: Merlin (3), 9780829401127 (3), 19th century non-fiction (3), 945 (3), Arthurian: Misc French (2), 19th century history (2), Wodehouse (2), Autobiography (2), Arthurian: French (2), Paleography (2), Medieval (2), Arthurian: Joseph (2), Memoirs (2), Wellesley (2), Milton (2), Orntithology (1), 'World War I (1), kecksies (1), 9781501143557 (1), Pre-Contemporary History (1), praed street dossier (1), Arthurian` (1), Arthurian: Geoffrey (1), Early editions (1), Pre-contemporary History (1), Boswell-Johnson (1), Military history (1), Arhurian (1), 19th/20th century adventure (1), Biography (1), Chaucer (1), Tokien (1), Literary Biography (1), Powys (1), 17th century history (1), Old Engish (1), Art history (1), Latin (1), Illuminated Art (1), Ornitholog (1), Art hisotry (1), Bibliogrpahy (1), World War i (1), Desert island (1), Pope (1), Ghost Stories (1), Fine Press (1), Emblem (1)
- Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, Tag Mirror
- 18th Century British Literature, Adventure Classics, Ancient and Medieval Manuscripts, Anglophiles, Antiquarian Books, Arthurian Legends, Baker Street and Beyond, Birds, Birding & Books, Christianity, Council of Elrond, E. F. Benson, Ernest Bramah, FantasyFans, Felony & Mayhem Press, Fine Press Forum, Flashman and Fraser, Folio Society Devotees, Geeks who love the Classics, Ghost Stories, Past and Present, History: On learning from and writing history, Inklings, Lawyers, Legacy Libraries, Library of America Subscribers, Military History, Nabokov!, New York Review Books, Political Conservatives, Rare, Old or Offbeat, Science Fiction Fans, Shakespeare, The Chapel of the Abyss, The Drones Club (all things P.G. Wodehouse), The Rabble Discuss Cabell: James Branch Cabell &c, The Turk's Head, The Weird Tradition, The Winston Churchill Discussion Group, Travel and Exploration literature, Weird Fiction, Written in Stone - The Literary Cemetery
- Apr 20, 2006
- Real Name
- James Clark
- About My Library
- Interests evolve, of course. Somewhat to my surprise, over the past few years I've been drawn into the net of "modern first" collecting, with a focus on my favorite authors and books (which do include some of the "high spots"): Tolkien, Haggard, Buchan, W.H. Hodgson, M.R. James, E.R. Eddison, Conan Doyle, Kipling, R.L. Stevenson, Stoker, Wodehouse, Sapper, Chandler, Agatha Christie. At the other end of my collector's interest is my collection of 16th century antiquarian literature, with high points in Sir Thomas Browne, Robert Burton, Milton, Shakespeare and Izaak Walton.
- About Me
- College, which ought to have led me to become an English lit scholar, instead took me to law school, where I learned just enough real law to become a humdrum "in-house" corporate lawyer. One great blessing of this unplanned vocation has been to enable me to buy and read all (or nearly all) the books I want, which is probably the next best thing to literary scholarship, with none of the publish-or-perish nonsense. I'm also married with two young daughters.
- Haverhill, Massachusetts
- Currently Reading
- Favorite Authors
- Lancelot Andrewes, C. E. W. Bean, Max Beerbohm, Algernon Blackwood, Kyril Bonfiglioli, James Boswell, Ernest Bramah, Sir Thomas Browne, Robert Browning, John Buchan, John Bunyan, Robert Burton, James Branch Cabell, Thomas Carlyle, J. L. Carr, Raymond Chandler, Leslie Charteris, G. K. Chesterton, Agatha Christie, Winston S. Churchill, Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, Edmund Crispin, John Crowley, Avram Davidson, Charles Dickens, John Donne, Norman Douglas, Arthur Conan Doyle, Lord Dunsany, Lawrence Durrell, Umberto Eco, E. R. Eddison, Steven Erikson, John Meade Falkner, Patrick Leigh Fermor, C. S. Forester, J. W. Fortescue, Robert Greene, H. Rider Haggard, William Hope Hodgson, Robert E. Howard, Samuel Johnson, Rudyard Kipling, R. A. Lafferty, C. S. Lewis, H. P. Lovecraft, John Lukacs, Arthur Machen, Herman Melville, A. A. Milne, John Milton, Vladimir Nabokov, Patrick O'Brian, Mervyn Peake, Arturo Pérez-Reverte, Alexandre Dumas, pere, Frederick Rolfe, William Shakespeare, Georges Simenon, Robert Louis Stevenson, Bram Stoker, Jeremy Taylor, J. R. R. Tolkien, Mark Twain, Jack Vance, Evelyn Waugh, Edward Whittemore, Charles Williams, P. G. Wodehouse, Gene Wolfe, Dornford Yates
- Interesting Library