- fantasy (121), young adult (117), form : manga (115), KLC childhood reading (109), general fiction (104), setting : england (96), children's (95), genre : historical fiction (88), genre : mystery (78), genre : romance (72), history (57), time : 1800s (57), genre : shonen manga (44), memoir (42), books (40), time : 1900-1950 (38), american history (37), gothic (37), reading (35), amateur detective (32), the sea (27), design (26), genre : science fiction (26), time : 1951-2000 (25), form : graphic novel (22), setting : japan (22), series : inu yasha (22), essays (21), the city (20), genre : historical mystery (20), genre : historical romance (17), time : 1700s (17), african americans (17), setting : new england (17), photography (16), infrastructure (16), setting : london (15), series : mars (15), series : nancy drew (15), series : maison ikkoku (15), genre : high fantasy (15), reading the landscape (15), series : love hina (14), genre : harem manga (14), coming of age (14), dragons (14), new england (14), architecture (13), genre : shojou manga (13), family (13), high school (13), alternate universe (13), format : picture books (13), series : lord peter (13), middlebrow fiction (12), series : red river (12), setting : new york (12), humor (12), women's history (12), setting : france (12), teenagers (12), setting : american south (12), series : hot gimmick (12), alternate history (11), colonial america (11), celtic mythology (11), appeal : hauntings by the past (11), decorative arts (10), setting : boarding school (10), series : babar (10), genre : women's fiction (10), industrial sites (9), series : farseer saga (9), series : dragons of pern (9), setting : new orleans (9), literary criticism (9), libraries (9), pioneers (8), setting : american frontier (8), genre : police procedural (8), parenting (8), series : kushiel's legacy (8), form : epistolary novel (8), setting : maine (8), gift (8), series : chobits (8), autobiographical fiction (7), series : little house (7), new york (7), setting : canada (7), setting : india (7), american revolution (7), sociology (7), ghosts (7), setting : america (7), english history (7), series : benjamin january (7), nature (7), genre : thriller (7), genre : comfort fiction (7), marriage (7), archives (6), biography (6), cooking (6), racism (6), indian diaspora (6), shipwrecks (6), season : summer (6), season : christmas (6), vampires (6), time : 1600s (6), series : anne of green gables (6), series : wolves chronicles (6), genre : pastoral fiction (6), series : ramona (6), series : harry potter (6), home (6), tunnels (6), erotica (6), series : dark is rising (5), contemporary fantasy (5), setting : louisiana (5), series : chronicles of prydain (5), clip art (5), needlework (5), mythology (5), setting : scotland (5), genre : romantic thriller (5), genre : lowbrow fiction (5), chick lit (5), race (5), poetry (5), military fiction (5), embroidery (5), puritans (5), setting : boston (5), setting : los angeles (5), series : merrily watkins (5), anthropomorphic animals (5), in reading queue (5), series : temeraire (5), series : fruits basket (4), urban theory (4), series : rei shimura (4), Fantasy (4), knitting (4), series : Moosepath League (4), series : southern vampire mysteries (4), series : sharing knife (4), india (4), format : advance review copy (4), series : wish (4), fairy tales (4), space opera (4), greek mythology (4), series : barsetshire (4), series : thursday next (4), patterns (4), genre : time travel romance (4), cozy mystery (4), Series : outlander (4), religious studies (4), short stories (4), format : uncorrected proof (3), genre : highbrow fiction (3), appeal : dual narrative (3), cleric sleuth (3), subject : librarianship (3), era : WWII (3), appeal : forgotten classics (3), on shelf (3), series : lady emily ashton (3), series : genshiken (3), series : peter decker and rina lazarus (3), siblings (3), amish people (3), series : julia grey (3), Nature (3), setting : north carolina (3), setting : barsetshire (3), series : thirkell barsetshire (3), pesonal essays (3), robin hood (3), series : the rescuers (3), series : princess diaries (3), quilting (3), science (3), slavery (3), boston (3), spirituality (3), poverty (3), christianity (3), setting : new hampshire (3), gay people (3), series : tales of alvin maker (3), series : liveship traders (3), intellectual history (3), cultural criticism (3), ruins (3), classics (3), series : lynley havers (3), needlepoint (3), series : flowers in the attic (3), gilded age (3), adventure (3), transcendentalism (3), setting : massachusetts (3), subways (2), mental illness (2), sisters (2), the south (2), new weird (2), yale (2), series : rather (2), series : penderwicks (2), middle east (2), series : traitor to the crown (2), era : victorian (2), era : american revolution (2), series : rain wilds (2), television (2), sex and sexuality (2), contemporary romance (2), setting : vienna (2), genre : hard science fiction (2), college (2), genre : supernatural mystery (2), genre : supernatural romance (2), appeal : textual mystery (2), children (2), genre : travel writing (2), england (2), friendship (2), time : wwii (2), time : english restoration (2), illustration (2), genre : hard boiled (2), magical realism (2), appeal : orientalist fiction (2), mermaids (2), animals (2), art (2), genre : literary nonfiction (2), female friendship (2), paganism (2), reference (2), storytelling (2), secret societies (2), series : lily dale (2), setting : upstate New York (2), bible (2), landscape (2), setting : california (2), literary history (2), motherhood (2), setting : cornwall (2), series : chalion (2), anorexia (2), indian americans (2), setting : mississippi (2), setting : cape cod (2), believer magazine (2), japan (2), series : hornby reading (2), veterenarians (2), series : meg moore (2), setting : ireland (2), series : fables (2), series : joe sandilands (2), luna books (2), setting : napoleanic wars (2), setting : new york state (2), kayaking (2), shakespeare (2), sewing (2), series : spymaster (2), iliad (2), series : hyperion (2), mothers (2), cozy fiction (2), maritime history (2), series : earth's children (2), publishing (2), the mitfords (2), jewish people (2), kindle (2), ephemera (2), spies (2), england between the wars (2), series : maisie dobbs (2), aging (2), historiography (2), spiritualism (2), series : ivy league (2), oceanography (2), series : ixia (2), setting : europe (2), series : baroque cycle (2), post-colonial literature (2), genre : steampunk (2)
- Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, Tag Mirror
- Jun 25, 2006
- About My Library
- I aim to record my entire reading life with this bibliography.
How I read:
I read several books at once. At the simplest, I have one non-fiction book and one fiction book going at the same time. In practice, I usually have one book from each of my major genres at once. This comes out to one history book, one general fiction work, one mystery, one historical novel, and one fantasy or science fiction book. This means that it can take me up to a month or more to finish a single book, because I'll put it down for days at a time while I'm concentrating on others.
How I read series:
I like to begin with the first book in a series if possible. Sometimes, if I feel like the first book may be a little weaker than later ones, or less mature, I'll read a representative book from the height of the seies and then go back to the start if I like it. I don't read series all at once. I'll read one book, then let it sink in and read other things, then read another. This means that I'm always in the middle of a bunch of series.
Permanent collection: Books I own and will not discard any time soon. I may or may not have read them. Books in my "book book" collection are not always read.
CS Monitor giveaway: Applied to books taken from the Christian Science Monitor office's giveaway pile. These are books sent to the monitor by publishers for review. When they are not reviewed, or when the staff is done with them, they are put on a cart to be given away to staff on the Christian Science Plaza. I visited this pile once a week and almost always took something during the year and a half I worked at the Christian Science Plaza. This is one of the best things to happen in my reading life, EVER. Thank you, Christian Science Monitor!
To read: Books I want to read but have not gotten yet.
In reading queue: Applied to books I own or have borrowed that are waiting to be read.
In reading: Applied to books I'm currently reading. I usually have three books going at a time: a work of general fiction, a genre work, and a non-ficion book. Sometimes this will be expanded to include a serious non-fiction work and a light non-fiction work, more than one variety of genre fiction, or a high-brow work of general ficiton as well as a middle-brow work. But I ry to never have more than one of any of these categories at once.
KLC childhood reading: A list of all the books I can remember reading as a kid. Not complete by any means. Most of the books on the list are no longer owned, or never were. Some are probably still in my parents' collection.
Note on the "date read" field: When it says I read a book on January 1, it probably means that I read it sometime that year. If it says the 1st of any month, it probably means that it was sometime during the month (or even around that time of year). Similarly, I seem to be broadly estimating childhood reading at 1985. So if a books says I read in on Jan 1, 1985, that means just sometime when I was a kid. Sorry I can't be more precise. Again similarly, as I'm loading data here in mid-2006, I seem to be broadly estimating reading of "a few years ago" to be 2003 or 2004. As I begin to add books I've read since I started this catalog, it should get more and more precise.
- About Me
- Librarian, archivist, and information manager. Professional interests include: popular reading, archives, personal papers, American history.
Favorite genres: mystery, science fiction, fantasy, YA, historical fiction.
I am also an avid crafter: papercrafts, knitting, embroidery, bookbinding.
- East Windsor, NJ
- Currently Reading
- My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams, With a Foreword by Joseph J. Ellis by Abigail Adams
- Interesting Library