- All collections (3,883), Your library (3,136), Currently reading (6), To read (101), Favorites (35), Pamphlet boxes (63), Read but unowned (501), Wishlist (257)
- occult (738), science fiction (396), christianity (283), thelema (267), au br (213), yog-sothothery (210), comics (201), graphic novel (186), antiquity (181), medieval (177), sb st (166), freemasonry (154), theory of religion (145), sword and sorcery (130), au st (129), psychology (120), biography (115), erotica (113), sexuality (112), renaissance (101), poetry (97), islam (86), sword and planet (84), egypt (81), satan (80), gender (73), theater (70), rosicrucian (68), bible (68), art history (68), liturgy (67), nietzschean (66), paleognostic (65), hyborian age (65), alchemy (60), dreams (58), music (57), theosophy (56), classics (55), memory (53), sufism (52), espionage (52), metafiction (51), game milieu (51), periodical (51), philosophy of will (50), angels (50), lter (48), tarot (45), superhero (45), american history (43), jungian (43), first novel (43), games (42), pomo theory (42), psychopharm (42), high fantasy (42), bdsm (39), hellenic (39), math (39), cinema (38), illustration (37), surrealism (37), epistemology (37), mars (36), _C (36), 19c gd (36), neognostic (36), 666 bio (36), chess (36), decadence (35), memoir (34), government (33), egc2 (33), chaosium cthulhu (32), judaism (32), phallicism (31), enochian (31), tantra (31), _G (30), _K (30), qabalah (30), templars (30), subtle body (30), race (30), arkham horror (29), political science (29), heresy (29), augoeides (28), divination (28), new religious movements (28), hinduism (28), ritual exposure (28), yoga (28), taoism (28), scottish rite (27), fairy (27), astrology (27), detective (27), roleplaying game (26), literary criticism (26), hermetic (26), _D (26), libertine (26), blake (26), anarchism (25), architecture (24), dionysos (24), letters (24), _P (24), legerdemain (24), roman (23), rumpus (23), apocalypse (23), dictionary (23), diary (23), _O (23), neopagan (22), faust (22), heliolatry (22), space opera (22), _M (22), _J (22), ccxx (22), _L (22), _A (21), grail (21), history of science (21), buddhism (21), time travel (21), leadership (21), eucharist (21), traditionalism (21), ancient hebrew religion (21), atlantis (21), mystery cults (20), orientalism (20), utopia (20), _N (20), ufo (20), _I (20), elric (20), au pr (20), neoplatonism (19), wh40k (19), jordanus brunus nolensis (19), kabbalah (18), cabala (18), blue lodge (18), vocal (18), ethics (18), spiritualism (18), _E (17), literary theory (17), logical fantasy (17), death (17), grimoire (17), martian hierophant (17), neo-gd (16), ritual studies (16), _H (16), monasticism (16), crusades (15), philosophy of science (15), paleothelema (15), roman a clef (15), pp cows (15), jauniste (15), hypnerotomachia (15), theory of magic (15), poststructuralism (15), swedenborg (15), sociology (15), rhetoric (14), south atlantic quarterly (14), antichrist (14), illuminati (14), hymnal (14), hypnosis (14), equinox (14), history of ideas (14), cultural criticism (14), @ (13), libraries and books (13), eternal recurrence (13), comparative religion (13), _B (13), deconstruction (13), unscanned cover (13), alternate history (13), media criticism (13), yeats (13), barsoom (13), voodoo (12), theology (12), catholicism (12), nautical (12), shaggy god story (12), gurdjieffian (12), chivalry (12), mutation (12), hypergeometry (12), eich pi el (12), cerebus (12), war (12), marriage (12), ars_arch (12), aphorisms (11), i ching (11), arkham house (11), * (11), metareligion (11), hermetic brotherhood of luxor (11), logic (11), anthropology (11), autobiography (11), cathars (10), nazi (10), interview (10), changeling (10), heavy metal (10), middle english (10), fourier (10), physics (10), arithmology (10), heterology (10), ophiolatry (10), german (10), hermeneutics (10), deism (10), catabasis (9), parapsychology (9), sadean (9), onolatry (9), necronomicon (9), secrecy (9), steampunk (9), chiliasm (9), orgonomy (9), von bek (9), fantasy masterworks (9), secret chiefs (9), enlightenment (9), prophecy (9), memphis and mizraim (9), latin (9), hippie (8), prayer (8), satire (8), golden ass (8), mythicism (8), commedia (8), living chess (8), cultural history (8), apophaticism (8), wine (8), archaeology (8), greek (8), new thought (8), wicca (8), arthurian (8), eranos (8), anti-masonry (8), symbolist (8), prehistoric civilization (8), morphogenesis (8), martinism (8), atheism (7), goetia (7), marxism (7), assassins (7), atavistic resurgence (7), police (7), alternative history (7), banjo (7), cli fi (7), patristics (7), prince hall (7), africa (7), war in heaven (7), dying earth (7), antinomianism (7), oenopneumatology (7), church of satan (7), asherah (6), feuerfeast (6), hollow earth (6), chaoist (6), vampires (6), clip art (6), mariolatry (6), cookbook (6), essays (6), mycology (6), metempsychosis (6), chthonic (6), socialism (6), pan (6), historical method (6), travelogue (6)
- Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, Tag Mirror
- Ballantine Adult Fantasy, Book Organizers, Bookshelf of the Damned, Booze!, Chess, Cthulhu Mythos, Erotica, Freemasonry, Happy Heathens, Hobnob with Authors, Let's Talk Religion, List of the Month, Non-Fiction Readers, Philosophy and Theory, Postmodernism, metafiction and experimental literature, Pynchon Pandæmonium, Science Fiction Fans, The Bible of Hell, The Chapel of the Abyss, The Rabble Discuss Cabell: James Branch Cabell &c, The Red Circle, The Weird Tradition, Thelema, Theosophy, Thing(amabrarian)s That Go Bump in the Night, Thus Slake Zarathustra, Unread Support Group, Used Books, Weird Fiction
- Nov 17, 2006
- Real Name
- Dionysius Rogers
- About My Library
- "A fool may buy all the books in the world, and they will be in his library; but he will be able to read only those that he deserves to." --Vivekananda
"After all, what is reading but a vice, like drink or venery or any other form of excessive self-indulgence? One reads to tickle and amuse one's mind; one reads, above all, to prevent oneself thinking." --Mr. Scogan
Most volumes in my library are seldom circulated, but also rarely crucified.
My copious reviews have been originally written for diverse audiences: scholars, occultists, freemasons, and thingamabrarians, among others. Have a response to one of my reviews? Please leave a comment below.
Some unusual tags defined:
au st and sb st indicate books whose authors and subjects (respectively) are saints of the Gnostic Catholic Church.
19c gd is the 19th-century manifestation of the Golden Dawn magical order, while neo-gd includes its putative successors and revivals in the 20th and 21st centuries.
While kabbalah is the Jewish mystical tradition beginning in the Middle Ages, cabala is its Christian esoteric derivatives from the Renaissance onward, and qabalah is the heuristic, non-doctrinal "hermetic qabalah" of 20th and 21st century occultists.
Alternate history is the sub-genre of science fiction and fantasy which deploys variants of historical settings (e.g. The Years of Rice and Salt), but alternative history is the field of historical speculation associated with popular revisionism and conspiracy theory (e.g. Holy Blood, Holy Grail).
- About Me
- I am not an Atheist in your sense of the word: your doctrine is too coarse for any known blasphemy to shame it.
I am not an Atheist in your sense of the word: fancy a Priest let loose on Society!
As long as men and women shall bury their own perfect natures in fear, guilt, and shame--I am against Atheism, and for the Mysteries.
Every "rational enlightenment" has engendered new superstitions.
What if the Apocalypse has already happened?
The last board game I played was:
My Other Reader is a professionally trained librarian, as I am not. I was already an avid book collector before we met. In 2006 her principal gift to me at the Winter Solstice was a LibraryThing lifetime membership, where she had already entered over five hundred of my books. She has never become as active on the site as I have.
My engagement with LibraryThing has developed gradually. At first, I was very focused on getting my actual collection cataloged. Only in later years did I start to use more of the social features beyond keeping a short list of friends and reading reviews. Now I'm active in the Deep Ones weekly group reads on The Weird Tradition group; and since summer of 2009, I have posted a review for every book I've read.
HOMO SUM, DIVINI NIHIL A ME ALIENUM PUTO.
There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.
- Domus Arcanorum
- Also On
- Currently Reading
- Favorite Authors
- Apuleius, James Branch Cabell, Italo Calvino, Mary J. Carruthers, Giacomo Girolamo Casanova, Henry Corbin, Ioan P. Couliano, Aleister Crowley, John Crowley, Samuel R. Delany, Jeffrey Ford, Joscelyn Godwin, Nick Harkaway, M. John Harrison, Robert Irwin, Anna Bonus Kingsford, Jeffrey J. Kripal, R. A. Lafferty, Tanith Lee, Fritz Leiber, Jean-François Lyotard, David Madsen, Ian McDonald, Maria de Naglowska, Friedrich Nietzsche, Marguerite Porete, Thomas Pynchon, Ishmael Reed, Lee Siegel, Clark Ashton Smith, Thomas Burnett Swann, Algernon Charles Swinburne
- Favorite Lists
- Local Favorites
Bookstores: Alchemy Arts, Amaranth Books, Chicago Rare Book Center, Comix Revolution, Mutiny Now Art Books and Coffee, Myopic Books, Occult Bookstore, Quimby's Bookstore, Seminary Co-op Bookstore, Squeezebox Books & Music, , The Gallery Bookstore
Libraries: Bibliotheca Philosophica Hermetica, Henry S. Olcott Memorial Library, Miskatonic University Library, Newberry Library, Ordo Templi Orientis U.S. Grand Lodge Library, University of Texas Libraries - Harry Ransom Center
- 666777, ABAlexander, Aequinoctium, alclark0, AmaterasuBi, andrewlent, anna_graham, artturnerjr, AtemporalDrift, Atomicmutant, AumHaLodge, barbelo, Beebz, Beth.Kimbell, circusavatar, dayooper, dscottn, eevie, elenchus, Evil_Derek, FraterCerno, Ganeshaka, grizzly.anderson, IamSquid, iaosabao, isomeme, jasonpettus, jonpeters93, KathleenO418, KentonSem, Kikhos_ba-Midhbar, Kushana, lammassu, LiminalSister, Meretrix, Micko, omegabodhi, Ophiphos, panpiper, Phainolis, Phevos, PJMazumdar, plutopsyche, RandyStafford, rcc, sekhet_maat, SkottH, sphinxie, steve-adams, stevenryan, StormRaven, tandu, TheEphemeraRemix, thiebes, VenenumM, Vitriol418, workofwickedness, yuugen
- Interesting Library
- AnarchoHermetica, AsYouKnow_Bob, bibliorex, boris_balkan, camillahoel, carpentermt, ComtedeFortsas, DarthDeverell, DavidWineberg, DubiousDisciple, Ganeshaka, Glenn_Russell, hauptwerk, KateSherrod, Khem_Caigan, Korrick, leoden, LordBangholm, lukeasrodgers, marc_beherec, MeditationesMartini, Nicole_VanK, octafish, ossicones, pomonomo2003, quicksiva, Randy_Hierodule, ritaer, SeanSullivan, Seti_Scarabeus, setnahkt, southernbooklady, Star_Sapphire_Lodge, sturlington, tENTATIVELY, TomWaitsTables, veilofisis, zhukora