Timeless by Alexandra Monir

Series: Timeless (1)

Member:ScienceHouse
Title:Timeless
Authors:Alexandra Monir
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:Basement Boxes

Timeless by Alexandra Monir

WOW...

I love it....BUT....I don't...

Conflicted Much?

I finished this book last night and I was all confused about how I felt and what I would say...Well, I'm still feeling the same way..so, if it shows, then, you know why! :-)

I still don't know how I feel about this book. Part of me loves it...Another part of me is still saying its okay...That's why it only got 4 stars.

It would have gotten 5 if I hadn't had so many moments of boredom throughout the book. But the good thing is, the boredom didn't last long. Maybe page or two at most..Then it would pick back up.

I can say that during the last few chapters, I was looking forward to reading book 2 at least. I'm thinking about getting Secrets of the Time Society...Just to get a background of the Time Society

As I was reading this one, I went and peeked at the summary for Timekeeper and saw how things would go in that book. And that made me curious. Then, I finally get to the ending and see that I didn't need to peek at the other book.

How Do I Feel About The Characters?

Guess what?
I'm conflicted on that one too.

I don't know why I couldn't just fall in love with the characters in this book.

But I do love Clara. There was just something about her that I loved...Maybe it was her innocence? No, not the innocence like she was naive, maybe just the time she was in..she had that 1910s kind of innocence..that I wish was still around now-a-days.

Maybe the fact that she was the odd duck in the family? I always felt like the odd one out in my family, so I could relate with her on that one.

Don't get me wrong, I really, really liked..adored most of them but I couldn't love them the way I wanted to..

Now, I can say I was borderline despising the grandparents {until towards the end}...

When I finally got to that last page, all I could do was, close the book, sigh, smile and just sit there for a moment taking it all in...The last few chapters were the best to me...out of the whole book...those last few chapters made it all worth while...I'm glad I was able to make it through the whole book...

Now, if I could just get through Secrets of the Time Society and Timekeeper to see what happens and how they end up. I hope it goes as I expect it will and the do end up together, in the same time, and they don't have to go chasing each other again...

[bc:Timeless|8100422|Timeless (Timeless, #1)|Alexandra Monir|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1275460221s/8100422.jpg|12873812]

Oh, and did I say that I love this cover?

Because I really do! :-) ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
I realized there was going to be romance, but I didn't realize that that is what the entire book was going to be about. When Michele learns to time travel, she's too busy obsessing over pretty boy to truly realize that she can freaking travel through time! The author tried to hint at big surprises that she revealed at the end, but the hints made the 'surprises' extremely obvious within seconds. Not only is the entire book about the romance, but at the end the author goes "Never mind, they'll just be friends!" and then at the end she goes "Guess what? I lied; they'll be together but you have to read the next book to find out how!" I love a good time-travel story, but in a time-travel story, I would appreciate the focus being on the time travel.

"/> ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
I bought this book at a booksale and it's been sitting on my shelf for a while. I finally got around to reading and finishing it yesterday, and it was a pleasant surprise. Monir is quite adept at imagery, it's evident that she did a lot of research while writing this story. The concept of time travel and alternate universe has always fascinated me, so although the story isn't unique, the way events unfolded made for a riveting read. Michele and Philip are the type of characters you'd want to end up together. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel to see if that happens. ( )
  VavaViolet | Sep 2, 2016 |
Timeless war mein erster Roman, welcher das Thema Zeitreise aufgenommen hat. Dazu passt der Titel und das Cover perfekt. Leider konnte mich das Buch nicht 100%ig überzeugen. Ich werde der Thematik aber sicherlich noch eine Chance geben.

Meine Meinung:

Timeless ist ein Jugend- Romantasy- und Märchenbuch in einem. Mit der 17-jährigen Michele, dem romantischen Teil fürs Herz und der Zeitreisen spricht es gleich mehrere Geschmäcker an und kommt mit einer schönen Geschichte daher. Die Gestaltung ist dazu noch was für das Auge, das Packet passt hier also vollkommen. Zeitreise ist in diesem Buch ein großes Thema. Es ist der Stoff, aus dem diese Geschichte besteht.

Jedoch kamen für mich die Zeitreisen leider eher unglaubwürdig rüber. Klar, es ist eben kein realitätsnahes Thema, jedoch habe ich es bei diesem Buch als störend empfunden. Das fing schon an, als ihre erste Zeitreise aufgetreten ist. Micheles Reaktion(en) und ihre Art, damit umzugehen, waren für mich unglaubwürdig. Ihre Reaktion hatte für mich den Anschein, als wäre es eine alltägliche Sache, von Anfang an.

Interessant und spannend waren dafür die letzten 100 Seiten des Buches. Damals und Heute werden miteinander verbunden und diesen Aspekt hat das Buch intelligent und interessant rübergebracht. Was passiert in der Gegenwart, wenn die Vergangenheit geändert wird? In diesem Teil des Buches habe ich mit Michele und ihren Gefährten mit gefiebert und wurde nicht enttäuscht.

Die Charaktere waren eher neutral Es fehlt ihnen leider an Tiefe und, besonders bei Philip, an Glaubwürdigkeit. Hier trifft mal wieder das typische Klischee ein: Ich kam, sah sie und verliebte mich unsterblich! An solchen Punkten läuft für mich das Glaubwürdigkeitsfass über und das war leider auch in diesem Buch der Fall, schade.

Was man als Leser vorher wissen sollte: die Liebesgeschichte, welche beim Klappentext deutlich hervorgehoben wird, hat hier eher eine Nebenrolle. Ich würde es noch nicht mal als Liebesgeschichte betiteln, eher als kleine Romanze. Das Hauptaugenmerk sind hier eben die eigentlichen Zeitreisen und die Folgen daraus.

Fazit:

Eine interessante Geschichte, welche kurzweilige Unterhaltung geboten hat. Leider haben die unglaubwürdigen Zeitreisen den Lesespaß, besonders im ersten Teil, deutlich gemindert. Wer Zeitreisen und Romanzen mag und sich an Charakteren, welche wenig Tiefe haben nicht stört, dem empfehle ich dieses Buch. Von mir bekommt es 3 Sternen! ( )
  Wandapanda | Mar 13, 2016 |
[‎Friday, ‎October ‎11, ‎2013] I got this book yesterday night, since the first time I viewed the cover on amazon.com I thought it looked wonderful. I thought that the synopsis is kind of between Dead Beautiful series by Yvonne Woon and Gilmore Girls TV series... and the whole dreaming of a mysterious guy in her dreams so much like The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller.

Forced to live with her wealthy, estranged grandparents in New York City after her mother dies, sixteen-year-old Michele returns to her room where she finds a diary that transports her back to 1910 with life-changing consequences.

This book had the potential of being great but the idea and writing is undercooked. I listened to the 3 songs the author attached to the novel... I think this book is just her way to become a singer. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

After her mother is killed in an automobile accident, Michelle Windsor is flown from her cozy Venice Beach, California, neighborhood to the palatial New York City home of her grandparents, whom, due to strained family relationships, she has never met. In this new, wealthy environment, she is introduced to the family history through a diary that transports her back to 1910 and details a feud between the Windsors and the Walkers. In a riff on Romeo and Juliet, Michelle falls for Phillip Walker and must decide how to extricate herself from their romance so that he can live a rich and fulfilling life in his own time and space.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385738382, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2011: Music can draw us back into memories, moments, and places, and in Timeless, debut author and recording artist Alexandra Monir transports readers into the glamorous Gilded Age and Roaring Twenties with soulful lyrics and swooning jazz tones. Alexandra wrote two original songs for Timeless, the lyrics of which are trickled throughout the book, slowly revealing a decades-old family mystery. In Timeless, we are introduced to Michele Windsor, one of the modern bluebloods of the historic Windsor family. Struggling to find her place in a world of prestige and old-fashioned values, Michele sifts through family relics in search of answers. When she discovers her great-great-grandmother’s diary and begins poring through its pages, she finds herself whisked back in time to the Gilded Age. There, Michele meets the man whom she always wished existed, but hadn’t dared to believe in. Inextricably drawn to each other, the two fall in love. But as Michele drifts between modern life and the world of the past, she begins to piece together an alarming family mystery -- one that may doom her life and the life of the man she loves. Timeless is a captivating romance and mystery spanning three decades of high-society life and intrigue in New York City. --Jacqueline Segall

Amazon Exclusive: Alexandra Monir’s Timeless Playlist
(Click on the song name to listen to a sample)

Chapter 1
Schubert's "Serenade" by New York Philharmonic Orchestra

"Shining Down" by Lupe Fiasco feat. Matthew Santos

"Sodade" by Cesaria Evora

Chapter 7
Chopin's "Nocturne No. 19 in E Minor, Op. 72, No. 1" performed by Claudio Aurrau

Chapter 10

"Over There" by The Eric Rogers Chorale and Orchestra

"Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" by The Andrews Sisters

"The White Cliffs of Dover" by Vera Lynn

"I'll Be Seeing You" performed by Billie Holiday

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:03 -0400)

Forced to live with her wealthy, estranged grandparents in New York City after her mother dies, sixteen-year-old Michele retreats to her room where she finds a diary that transports her back to 1910--with life-changing consequences.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,537,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible