Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle

Many Waters (original 1986; edition 2007)

by Madeleine L'Engle

The fifteen-year-old Murry twins, Sandy and Dennys, are accidentally sent back to a strange Biblical time period, in which mythical beasts roam the desert and a man named Noah is building a boat in preparation for a great flood.
Member:Andyr27
Title:Many Waters
Authors:Madeleine L'Engle
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages

Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle (1986)

I would not recommend this book for children. There were inappropriate and surprisingly coarse, sexual details as well as a description of the Lord in a way that is false and progressive. I found myself pausing and pointing out to the kids that several allusions in the book seemed Unitarian, pantheistic and totally misleading in regards to the Lord.

Her imagery was oftentimes beautiful. There was quite a lot of suspense for a children’s book. The element of time travel was interesting. Learning details of the geography and realities of Noah’s time was neat. The contrast between the seraphim and nephilum was noteworthy particularly in showing the wickedness of seduction.

I take it, though, that L’Engle was perhaps a progressive Christian? Her thoughts on the Lord, some of the major themes of the Bible, and her views on human depravity are misguided. I pointed out to the kids how liberal views seen in this book are in many churches and our culture. It’s misleading, deceptive in describing who the Lord is, and leads people astray that involves eternal peril. The end of this book reminded me of a quote I read where the author mentioned when a church chooses to believe the Bible is inspired but not inerrant it soon becomes dead. It’s important to be kind and gracious yet in the same breath discerning and astute in regards to the Lord and mankind. Nonetheless, even though I was disappointed I hope my older kids learned a little to discern progressive Christianity and see the perilous dangers of it.

Christian-3 stars
Julia - 3 1/2 stars
Zacky - 4 stars (I doubt he picked up on what I noticed.) ( )
  Sparrowgirl | Dec 21, 2019 |
I preferred it to A Swiftly Tilting Planet quite a lot, maybe not quite as much as A Wrinkle in Time...but close. It was an odd jump backwards in time, but I suppose I should have expected that eh? I read it rather quickly, which is a good sign. But, I started the last book in this series already and it seems a bit log she's flogging the proverbial dead horse at this point. Hopefully my 13 year old niece will enjoy it more, I've been passing them down to her as I finish them. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
The fourth and (IMHO) weakest of the Wrinkle in Time series (so far). This book had the most overt religious themes of the those I've read. I still have the fifth book to go, but may put it off for a while. ( )
  MarysGirl | Dec 18, 2018 |
Simplemente, não curti! ( )
  karinbezeoli | Nov 9, 2018 |
The twins are accidentally sent back to the time of Noah.

Having the people dress in loincloths seems an odd choice for people living in a dessert. And pet miniature Mammoths.

Nephilim was the name for the offspring of the angles who came to earth and humans, not the angels. That annoyed me as I read it.

The disagreement between Noah and his father didn't make a lot of sense in a patriarchal society. But it gave the twins a chance to play peacemaker.

And I really don't see the point of creating Yalith and her story line. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jul 1, 2018 |

Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sis, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stephen Roxburgh
A sudden snow shower put an end to hockey practice.
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,596,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible