Mrs. Mike: The Story of Katherine Mary Flannigan (1947)

by Benedict Freedman, Nancy Freedman

Series: Mrs. Mike (1)

Mrs. Mike is the love story of Katherine Mary O'Fallon, a young Irish girl from Boston, and Sergeant Mike Flannigan of the Canadian Mounted Police, who is priest, doctor and magistrate to all in the great Canadian wilderness area under his supervision.

English (38)  German (1)  All languages (39)
In the early 1900s, Katherine (Kathy) is sent to Calgary, Alberta to live with her uncle due to her health, where she meets RCMP Mike. Although Kathy is only 16, they get married and move further north – where there aren’t many white women, and life is much more primitive than Kathy is used to.

Apparently this is based on a real person – I only found that out by looking at a few other reviews. I listened to the audio, which wavered in and out on holding my attention (or not). It was ok. Some parts I liked, but overall, ok. Had a hard time with a couple of parts about injured animals. I’m not sure I particularly liked any of the characters. Except for one secondary character (due to the unusual name), I tended to get those secondary characters mixed up. One of the good things, though, were descriptions of hardships encountered: loss, fire... ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 12, 2021 |
Loved this book when I read it as a high school freshman. Definitely worth a re-read as that is an embarrassing number of years ago..... ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
This story is about sixteen year old Katherine Mary O’Fallon, a 16 year old Irish girl from Boston in 1907, and the man she falls in love with, Sargent Mike Flannigan, a hero who is handsome, chivalrous, strong and fearless. Kathy is suffering from pleurisy and is sent alone to Canada to recover at her uncle's home in Calgary. Mike is a Canadian Mounted Policeman, who falls in love with her and takes her to the Northwest Territories of the Canadian wilderness. We follow along with Kathy and Mike and witness their life in the harsh and beautiful land, which includes isolation, snow, fire, death, bears, and even deadly mosquitoes. Kathy and Mike learn respect for the Indians, their beliefs and their way of life. It's also a timeless love story.

I first read this book when I was twelve and, of course, fell madly in love with Mike. I definitely wanted to grow up and marry a Canadian Mountie and live in a cabin in the wilderness. (Ironically, I married someone named Mike, and lived in Alaska for three years but it just wasn't the same). Reading the book fifty years later is a bit disheartening for me. I saw Mr. and Mrs. Mike in a much more jaundiced way. Of course, since the book was published in 1947, the attitude and language with reference to Indians and women might offend many readers. Over the years there has been some indications that the “true” story was highly fictionalized by the Freedman's.

Nevertheless, it remains one of the most memorable books I've ever read. I needed to pull out some tissues a couple of time. I still think of Mrs. Mike as one of the first books that contributed to my lifelong love of reading and of historical fiction. I have a shelf called “nostalgia” and it's the perfect place to put this gem. The book was “based” on a true story and doesn't claim to be non-fiction. It's love story that emphasizes what friendship, community, family and love are all about. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
If you have not read Mrs. Mike then you are missing out one of the most beautiful and captivating love stories ever written. To read the rest of my thoughts on Mrs. Mike, please visit http://bookreviewsandmorebykathy.com/?p=41 ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
A "just one more chapter before turning off the light and going to bed" type of book, full of location details and human relationships within the pages. It never was boring, often touched my heart, and kept my interest for the entire read. ( )
  fuzzi | Nov 2, 2018 |

Benedict Freedmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Freedman, Nancymain authorall editionsconfirmed
McCrea, Ruth D.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nana
The worst winter in fifty years, the old Scotsman had told me.
When little things are so important, it’s because there aren’t any big ones.
She had had sorrow: her family, all her children, gone. But death does not stand at the end of life, it is all through it. It is the fear of losing, the knowledge of losing that makes love tender.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,360,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible