The Tiger's Wife: A Novel by Tea Obreht

The Tiger's Wife: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Tea Obreht (Author)

4,4843141,788 (3.53)1 / 601
Remembering childhood stories her grandfather once told her, young physician Natalia becomes convinced that he spent his last days searching for "the deathless man," a vagabond who claimed to be immortal. As Natalia struggles to understand why her grandfather, a deeply rational man would go on such a farfetched journey, she stumbles across a clue that leads her to the extraordinary story of the tiger's wife.… (more)
Member:danisaur
Title:The Tiger's Wife: A Novel
Authors:Tea Obreht (Author)
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2011), Edition: First Edition, 384 pages

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (2011)

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: The Jungle Book is the book Natalia's grandfather loves in The Tiger's Wife and features Shere Khan, the tiger.
    The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri (Anonymous user)
    Gingerbread by Robert Dinsdale (avatiakh)
    Ingrid and the Wolf by André Alexis (Anonymous user)
    The Ministry of Special Cases by Nathan Englander (Anonymous user)
    Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt (Anonymous user)

English (307)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (311)
The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht I think is set in a landscape that may have been what we used to call Yugoslavia but then again it could have been any land that has seen civil war or it could be entirely mythical.

The war runs as a sub-plot to this novel which is really about something else. Like secrets, grief, duty, love, obligation and superstition.Incredibly well written with that sense of unreality that often accompanies accounts of wartime.

That kind of writing that doesn't quite explain everything so you have lots of gaps on which to hang the narrative instead. This gives the story a spacey back and forwards in time feel in that it deals with past and the present and the future all simultaneously.Brilliant, sad mystifying and rewarding. ( )
  Ken-Me-Old-Mate | Sep 24, 2020 |
Full review

The Tiger’s Wife remains me of The Thirteenth Tale by Dina Satterfield. It has the format of a story within a story about someone that a person they admire. Their told about that person past being stranger than fiction.

The writing is beautiful. At times I find myself capture in the stories that are told. The one about the deathless man is my favorite.

The story does jump around a bit. One moment be reading about Natalia going the orphanages then a flashback about Natalia life growing up during the war and then a story of the Tiger’s wife.
All these story do connect together. From these stories a deep history of a side character will be told. Is this necessary? The author wants to give the reader a deep understanding of someone and it involves a deep connects for all these stories to weave together. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
Full review

AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
While it was beautifully written it was far from riveting. I lost interest mid-way and found myself skimming through parts just to finish. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
4.5 stars

I really enjoyed Miss Obreht's first book. A young woman in an unnamed Balkan country, learning of the unexpected death of her grandfather, remembers him and the stories he shared with her. It's very well written and has elements of magical realism. There's a scene early in the book with a circus elephant, not much happens really, but I think it's so beautifully written it brings tears to my eyes every time. ( )
  ultimaultrona | Aug 20, 2020 |

Obreht, Téaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doeschate, Anke tenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gómez Calvo, IgnacioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Štefan Obreht
In my earliest memory, my grandfather is bald as a stone and he takes me to see the tigers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Téa Obreht's book The Tiger's Wife was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,805,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible