Voyages to the Moon and the Sun by Cyrano de…

Voyages to the Moon and the Sun (1657)

by Cyrano de Bergerac

A hodgepodgy book in which Cyrano appears to be experimenting with or mocking several different styles, as well as lecturing on or mocking a variety of scientific and religious ideas. Apart from the fun of recognizing things which Rostand referenced in writing his play, it is most fun as a sampling of ideas from its time and for its hints of Gulliver's Travels which was certainly influenced by it. By the time I finished reading I had stopped hearing it in Jose Ferrer's voice. ( )
  Unreachableshelf | Apr 17, 2013 |
When I remember these stories were penned almost 400 years ago, it makes me appreciate their ideas and early science fiction. Every page delivers evidence of a fantasic imagination. Ideas which must have pushed the boundaries of accepted theory.
I must admit that sometimes I did not follow Cyrano's dialogue, but I am glad I have read it and can identify with many tales that have followed from it, from Lilliput to Dr Who's tardis, and "talking books". ( )
1 vote TheWasp | Feb 23, 2013 |
A remarkable book, written more than 350 years ago, narrates the journey (imagined?) of Cyrano to the moon and sun and provides comedy and escape in doing so. It clearly influenced Swift in his writing about Gulliver's Travels and provides material for many different types of readers and writers. Cyrano skewers conventional thinkers and the accepted wisdom by relating opinions of the "Great wits of the Sun" among others. It is truly a unique work that reminds me of Rabelais in its refusal to adhere to any literary rules. ( )
  jwhenderson | Sep 20, 2011 |
Loved this book. It was my transition from high school French to reading for pleasure. ( )
  ianitts | Apr 16, 2010 |
wahrlich, ein Vorgänger von Jules Verne ( )
  moricsala | Dec 7, 2006 |

Cyrano de Bergeracprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aldington, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strachan, GeoffreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Combined edition of "The Voyage to the Sun" AND "The Voyage to the Moon" - please do not combine with either.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,602,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible