HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Gathering

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Darkness Rising {Armstrong} (1)

Sixteen-year-old Maya suspects there may be a relationship between her paw-print birthmark, her connection with wild animals, and strange events occurring in her tiny Vancouver Island community, where a medical research facility harbors big secrets.

Re-reading this now so I can read the new one! ( )
  panamamama | Aug 2, 2022 |
After closing the last page and saying goodbye to Chloe in the [b:The Reckoning|6468666|The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)|Kelley Armstrong|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327154591s/6468666.jpg|6659237] I was very eager to read the next installment in Kelly Armstrongs YA series.

It was ok...but I didnt love it as much as the adventures of Chloe and the gang.The best word for my feelings about it would be, underwhelmed

It just lacked the thing that makes me love a book.

I couldnt really connect with maincharacter Maya,she struck me as a bit too composed. I wanted something to shake her up a bit and create a conflict.

Also the he part with her being a native american and being really into nature things struck me as very cliche.

This is the first book by KA that I skimmed the last part of. I wont rush to get the other books in this series.

Litrvixen | Jun 23, 2022 |
I would have given this FIVE stars except the ending PISSED ME OFF. I really hate the whole "cliffhanger" ending in books. REALLY hate it. BAH. So many questions unanswered. Why can't series books have endings leaving you wanting more (like the Harry Potter books) but not make you ANGRY with how little that was answered. ::grrr:: ( )
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |
The Gathering is the first of a series of three books. I had some trouble with this book because I kept wondering when I was going to get to the real story. By the time I finally got to the meat of the story, the book abruptly ended in the middle of a forest fire of unexplained origin. The beginning of the book was about the mysterious death of one teenager who was captain of her swim team and yet drowned in a lake. The other teenager who survives becomes the protagonist. The rest of the story mildly unfolds. A young teenage girl in a small Canadian town who tries to deal with her parents and figure out her relationships with friends is a pretty familiar plot line and doesn't change until the middle of the book when we finally get clues about the possibility of the young girl being a skin-walker. Though we see signs throughout the rest of the book that this might be true, there is also a murder and several unsolved mysteries that the author leaves hanging at the end of the book. The book does attempt to grab the readers' emotions at several points in the story, it just doesn't grab hard enough. I'm not yet sure if I want to take the time to read the other two books in the Darkness Rising series. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
Somehow my rating and review for this book was lost, so it won't be as detailed as before.

This is another book series for Kelley Armstrong and another one that I loved reading. I think I like this one more, but only a little bit.

I loved the main character Maya, she is strong, level-headed and a natural leader. The beginning is building the world up and getting to know the characters. The main action doesn't start til close to the end and will continue on into the next book.

I didn't mind that about this book, since I loved getting to know the characters and Maya is not annoying to read from her POV.

I would recommend this book and the series to anybody. I read them all quickly and enjoyed them very much. ( )
  payday1999 | Dec 8, 2020 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fitzsimmons, ErinCover design & typographysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechter, CarrieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Julia.
Serena stood on the rock ledge twenty feet above the lake, singing in a voice known to bring tears to the eyes of everyone who heard it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,946,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible