Ghost Shadow (The Bone Island Trilogy) by…

Ghost Shadow (The Bone Island Trilogy) (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Heather Graham (Author)

"There are those who walk among us who are no longer alive, but not yet crossed over. They seek retribution, vengeance, to warn. Among the living, few intuit their presence. Katie O'Hara is one who can. As she's drawn deeper and deeper into a gruesome years-old murder, whispered warnings from a spectral friend become more and more insistent. But Katie must uncover the truth: could David Beckett really be guilty of his fianceé's murder? Worse--the body count's rising on the Island of Bones, and the dead seem to be reenacting some macabre tableaux from history."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)
Member:TVNerd95
Title:Ghost Shadow (The Bone Island Trilogy)
Authors:Heather Graham (Author)
Info:MIRA (2010), Edition: Original, 368 pages
Collections:Finished, Your library
Rating:**
Tags:audiobooks-i-own, romance-paranormal, romance-mystery, mystery, paranormal

Ghost Shadow (The Bone Island Trilogy) by Heather Graham (2010)

Just not sure on this one. I never know how to rate a book where I liked the story but didn’t really like any of the characters. I take that back I did enjoy Sean and Bartholomew. The mystery is very intriguing and the setting is phenomenal – makes me want to visit and explore Key West.

I had a hard time buying the romance between Katie/David. David is a very stiff character to the point even the narrator talked in a very formal stiff manner when voicing him. Very little emotion to help me feel like he really felt anything for anybody.

The story lost a star because the conclusion was so obvious early on that it made the characters in the book seem almost stupid for not realizing it sooner. The author also seemed to be in denial about the villain. She used “dramatic pauses” (I don’t know how else to explain it) where the characters go “OMG I know who the killer is” and then the scene changes. She also kept referring to “the killer” when it was well past time to use the character’s name.

The narrator was very good on the female characters but I got a little confused on the male characters except for David. I will continue the series as I already own it. ( )
  TVNerd95 | Oct 9, 2019 |
Ghost Shadow by Heather Graham
Book #1 in Bone Island Trilogy
2 Stars

Synopsis:
Katie O’Hara can see and speak to ghosts. She plans on purchasing and refurbishing a wax museum where the gruesome discovery of a corpse was made several years before. Now, with the suspects returning to Key West and the new bodies piling up, Katie, with the help of her ghostly friends and the original victim’s ex-fiancé, must discover the identity of the killer before she becomes his next victim.

Review:
The macabre details of Key West’s history are very intriguing, however, they cannot compensate for the poor writing and predictable plot. Graham has a bad habit of repeating clues as if she thinks the reader will miss them - unfortunately, she even uses the same words to do so.
The killer is also predictable and can be guessed in the first third of the book.
One of the only other positive elements is the hilarious ghost, Bartholomew, whose wisecracks make the book somewhat readable.
I will not be reading any more in the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
This was a pretty good easy read. Looking forward to reading the next one ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
I recently decided to read the Bone Island Trilogy by Heather Graham because it fit a challenge I was participating in. I don't normally care that much for paranormal romantic suspense but this wasn't too bad. The first book in the trilogy, Ghost Shadow, revolves around photographer David Beckett. He left Key West under the shadow of suspicion ten years ago when his former fiancee was found dead in the wax museum owned by his family. He had an alibi, but since the killer was never caught, there's still a great deal of suspicion surrounding him. Katie O’Hara has been negotiating with the estate to buy the museum. When a stripper is murdered and her body displayed in another museum, she and David convince the police to reopen the old murder case.

This is primarily a romance series, with the paranormal focused on an interesting ghost named Bartholomew, who used to be a privateer. There was a fascinating timeline at the beginning of the book that described the historical events alluded to in the story. I thought the main characters were predictable and the best part of the story always involved Bartholomew. Nevertheless, if you are a fan of paranormal romance you might like this book a lot more than I did. I'm going to continue the trilogy and see if it improves.

Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Ten years ago, David Beckett was under suspicion for killing his ex-fiancée when her body was discovered in one of the displays of his family's museum. David was cleared and left Key West. Now Katie O'Hara wants to buy the museum. David doesn't want the museum to re-open, so he returns to Key West to put a stop to the sale. While he's back, he also wants the cold-case of his ex-fiancée's murder re-opened since the killer was never found. And then more murders start happening.

This was an extremely enjoyable romantic suspense story with a touch of paranormal. Katie and David were both very likable characters. I liked how Katie was able to see and communicate with ghosts, especially her ghost-friend, Bartholomew. It was creepy how the murder victims were placed in museum displays of famous people from Key West's history. I enjoyed reading about the history of Key West and some of its bizarre tales. The story was very atmospheric and I loved the Key West setting as it was preparing for its annual Fantasy Fest. The descriptions were well done and I felt like I was there in this thoroughly entertaining read. ( )
  PaulaLT | Oct 19, 2016 |
With lots of love and thanks to Jen Boise and “my cousin” Walt Graham, Steve, Toni, Mike, and Lili

And for Boogie Man George and Brian Penderleith

Bernie and Petey

Titanic Brewery, Waxy O’Connor’s, Red Koi, John Martin’s, Mr. Moe’s, Sgt. Pepper’s, and especially, Jada Cole’s

Two Friends Patio and Ric’s

And the wonderful, crazy, historic, wild, wicked, and sweet city of Key West, Florida
Prologue

Then

The blue light made the hallway dark and eerie, though just beyond the doors of the museum, the magic sunlight of the island glowed upon tourists and the few locals who considered early morning to be a time before noon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,943,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible