Stealing the Mystic Lamb: The True Story of…

Stealing the Mystic Lamb: The True Story of the World's Most Coveted…

by Noah Charney

Hermann Göring and the Nazi Art Collection by Kenneth D. Alford (y2pk)
    y2pk: The Mystic Lamb is one of the artworks mentioned in the Goring book. Charney's chapters on World War II provide additional information about how the Nazi looting was accomplished.

Fascinating story of a 15th Century altar piece, looted several times. I was left with a sense that the most recent heist was an unfinished story. The detail and emphasis on the systemic Nazi looting somewhat overpowered the history of Van Eyck's masterpiece. I've not read Charney before, so I don't know whether such side-tracking in a story is typical of this author's work. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 24, 2017 |
Fascinating look at the troubled history of one of the most famous works of art, The Ghent Altarpiece. This book delves into the artist of the piece as well as the time, the people, and the other history surrounding it. The Ghent Altarpiece is the most stolen piece of art of all time. It has been stolen, illegally sold, hunted by Nazis, (think Monuments Men) dismembered and so much more. We read this book for our book club and there was so much to discuss. Who really painted it, the symbols found in the panels, where the missing panel is, and so forth. The only thing I did not like about the book were the pictures. They just did not do justice to the art piece. However there are several books out there that have great photos of it. If you are interested in art history at all, read this book! ( )
  bnbookgirl | Mar 15, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read a number of books similar to this, but I found Stealing the Mystic Lamb to be dry and slow. It is not a shining example of this type of book, although it is clearly very well researched. ( )
  paghababian | Mar 16, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What comes through in each section of Stealing the Mystic Lamb, much like his previous novel The Art Thief and his work with ARCA, is author Noah Charney’s absolute passion for his subject matter. His enthusiasm comes through his words, and it adds to the ease he is able to strike when speaking about art and history. Due to this enthusiasm and ease I find the strongest area of the novel to be the first section. As a former art history student I quickly learned how bland a dry formal analysis, discussions of iconography and historical context can be. To strike a compelling narrative for those in the field is difficult enough, but to make it both compelling and accessible to a nonprofessional is an achievement I think Charney reaches, at least in the first few chapters. The history of the painting’s various thefts moves along, weaving in the socio-cultural and political histories that accompany each situation, creating an interesting web of time, circumstance, and of course, the mystery surrounding each crime.

And then he reaches the Nazis.

And that is where the book falters. Two-thirds of the way (halfway?) through this turns from the story of art, crime and history to a book about Nazi plundering. The thieving the Nazis accomplished, especially in relation to the riches of art stolen for both the personal collections of high officials and Hitler’s secret museum is a huge and intriguing topic -- in fact there are whole books written on just that subject. But here, it takes over and brings down the intriguing story that came before it. Although he has the facts, Charney’s writing becomes long-winded and extremely repetitive at this point, especially as he constantly but almost frivolously brings up The Ghent Alterpiece as if to say “don’t worry I didn’t forget about my central thesis.” But he had. The excitement the author has about this period of time is shown by length, but pure word count does not rescue the weak connections to the van Eyck the author attempts to make as he continues to write on the subject.

The last chapter is interesting, but its highly speculative and after the huge extrapolation about the Nazis it seems like an afterthought just to wrap the book up. Although Charney’s projections about motive and possibilities helped move the narrative in earlier chapters, in the end they felt weak and lacked the same pizazz that was so interesting earlier on in the book.
  entropica | Jan 12, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It took me a long time to read this book and I'm really not sure why. The book was thorough, organized well and on a topic that interested me. So why on earth did it take me so long to get through it?

Someone mentioned it in their review too, that the author tended to digress. I agree with this. I feel like the overall book had a lot of good information, but it was presented in a round about, wordy kind of way. I think with a more exacting editor this book could be stream lined into a more interesting read. ( )
1 vote rosylibrarian | Dec 17, 2010 |

Noah Charneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Estrella, JuanjoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Urska, the love of my life, and to Hubert van Eyck, who taught me the joys of gnawing on one's own foot
Prologue
They found him in a whitewashed cottage nestled in a dark German forest.
As the oak door to the chapel swings open, one is first struck by the scents: the cool, ancient stone of the walls of Saint Bavo Cathedral, the smell of frankincense, and then the surprising notes of old wood, linseed oil, and varnish.

Presents a history of the world's most pilfered masterpiece--Jan van Eyck's "Ghent Alterpiece," treasured for its central panel, "The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb"--which has been looted in three wars, burned, forged, smuggled, hunted by the Nazis, and stolen thirteen times.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Noah Charney's book Stealing the Mystic Lamb was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

PublicAffairs

An edition of this book was published by PublicAffairs.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,761,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible