Through the language glass : why the world…

Through the language glass : why the world looks different in other… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Dr. Guy Deutscher

Member:electricsheep82
Title:Through the language glass : why the world looks different in other languages
Authors:Dr. Guy Deutscher
Info:New York : Metropolitan Books/Henry Holt and Co., c2010.

Through the Language Glass: Why the World Looks Different in Other Languages by Guy Deutscher (2010)

The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature by Steven Pinker (petterw)
    What Language Is: And What It Isn't and What It Could Be! by John McWhorter (amyblue)
    The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes (chmod007)
    chmod007: The first few chapters of Through The Language Glass talk about color as a cultural construct, drawing upon 19th century inquiries into the works of Homer and his seeming indifference to the finer hues of the spectrum. The beginning of TOOCITBOTBM starts with a similar exploration of ancient conceptions (or lack thereof) of consciousness, supported by linguistic evidence.… (more)

English (33)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
His charming writing style kept me going, but I think this could have been condensed into a long essay without losing any substance. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Just fascinating (but not quite as fascinating, for me, as his Unfolding of Language. This one has a slightly more generally-scientific bent while the other is more linguistic. I learned an awful lot about colour, the way we give directions, and much more. He's a terrific writer, and is on my "I will read him about any subject" mental list.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
My interest in [b: Through the Language Glass|8444621|Through the Language Glass Why the World Looks Different in Other Languages|Guy Deutscher|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1317066228s/8444621.jpg|13232704] came from a conversation with a friend about how the color blue was relatively recent 'invention.' This was not that the color blue didn't exist in antiquity, but rather that it didn't go by that name. How then, did the ancients view blue? How did they view colors? Like most things, there's a book for that.

[b: Through the Language Glass|8444621|Through the Language Glass Why the World Looks Different in Other Languages|Guy Deutscher|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1317066228s/8444621.jpg|13232704] not only delves into the complicated world of how language and culture affects how we organize colors, and perhaps even how we see them, but also how the science of how we perceive color and name it developed over time. The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is also delved into, as are the multitude of problems with it and where they just may have gotten things right. This book is dense with information, riveting in what new discoveries and alternative hypotheses it discusses, and rife with good humor.

While this book was a dry read at times, it was one I could not put down for the sheer interesting nature of all it discusses. It's a shame that so much of these topics have yet to be thoroughly discussed, but this book seems to be bringing glad tidings of a shift in focus that is more welcoming towards how culture affects language and perception. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
The Sapir-Whorf theory of sociolinguistics was trendy almost 100 years ago: it suggested that the language we use controls the way that we think. It's an initially intriguing hypothesis with a lot of instinctual appeal. If a language doesn't have a word for a particular phenomenon, or lacks a particular tense, why wouldn't speakers of that language have a hard time conceiving of that phenomenon or that kind of world? Until you realize that some languages, like the Italian I studied as an undergrad, have an entire tense for the remote past, passato remoto, while the English language doesn't. Does that mean English speakers can't conceive of events very far in the past? Of course not. Does that mean that we don't understand implicitly terms like saudade, a melancholy longing for things that are gone and will never come back? Again, of course not, but for a while educated people would have thought so.

Deutscher reinvigorates the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis among a very few limited lines: primarily, he focuses on the idea that our languages impact how we think about color, along with how we process geolocation, and objects in gendered languages. As speakers of a neuter language, we don't think about objects as inherently gendered things. But if you speak a language that thinks of bridges as masculine, like Spanish, bridges are strong and sturdy. If you speak a language that thinks of bridges as feminine, like German, however, you're much more likely to implicitly think of bridges as beautiful and delicate. And color! There's an incredible explanation of the Homeric description of the sea as "wine-dark" that I can't possibly condense, but if you're into this kind of thing, you'll be enraptured.

Fascinating stuff, for a person who has a real interest in psychology and language. If not, probably not a text for you. Since I'm the former rather than the latter, I loved this book and found it incredibly compelling. ( )
1 vote 500books | May 22, 2018 |
An easy to read introduction to the complexities of linguistics and some of its intriguing possibilities. I would have liked to read more about how word choice and grammar affect thinking, but Deutscher makes it seem like there isn't enough research to make that correlation. Instead he takes a more historical approach to explicating how the linguistics field has evolved to make his case that language DOES affect thinking, but perhaps not in the most obvious ways. A good read, and I now have a few other leads for more reading in this field. ( )
  e2d2 | Jun 2, 2017 |
Deutscher starts with the puzzling fact that many languages lack words for what (to English speakers) seem to be basic colors. For anyone interested in the development of ideas, Deutscher’s first four chapters make fascinating reading. Did you know that the British statesman William Gladstone was also an accomplished Greek scholar who, noting among other things the surprising absence of any term for “blue” in classical Greek texts, theorized that full-color vision had not yet developed in humans when those texts were composed? Or that a little-known 19th-century philologist named Lazarus Geiger made profound and surprising discoveries about how languages in general divide up the color spectrum, only to have his discoveries ignored and forgotten and then rediscovered a century later?

Deutscher argues that the key to differences between languages is a contained in a maxim of the linguist Roman Jakobson: “Languages differ essentially in what they must convey and not in what they may convey.” As an example, he quotes the English statement, “I spent last night with a neighbour”, in which we may keep private whether the person was male or female.

Guy Deutscherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pfeiffer, MartinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alma
"There are four tongues worthy of the world's use," says the Talmud:  "Greek for song, Latin for war, Syriac for lamentation, and Hebrew for ordinary speech."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080508195X, Hardcover)

A masterpiece of linguistics scholarship, at once erudite and entertaining, confronts the thorny question of how—and whether—culture shapes language and language, culture

Linguistics has long shied away from claiming any link between a language and the culture of its speakers: too much simplistic (even bigoted) chatter about the romance of Italian and the goose-stepping orderliness of German has made serious thinkers wary of the entire subject. But now, acclaimed linguist Guy Deutscher has dared to reopen the issue. Can culture influence language—and vice versa? Can different languages lead their speakers to different thoughts? Could our experience of the world depend on whether our language has a word for "blue"?

Challenging the consensus that the fundaments of language are hard-wired in our genes and thus universal, Deutscher argues that the answer to all these questions is—yes. In thrilling fashion, he takes us from Homer to Darwin, from Yale to the Amazon, from how to name the rainbow to why Russian water—a "she"—becomes a "he" once you dip a tea bag into her, demonstrating that language does in fact reflect culture in ways that are anything but trivial. Audacious, delightful, and field-changing, Through the Language Glass is a classic of intellectual discovery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

A masterpiece of linguistics scholarship, at once erudite and entertaining, confronts the thorny question of how--and whether--culture shapes language and language, culture.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,563,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible