Jazz Fly 2: The Jungle Pachanga (book w/…

Jazz Fly 2: The Jungle Pachanga (book w/ audio CD)

by Matthew Gollub

A fly uses a combination of Spanish and jazz scat to ask a sloth, a monkey, and a mackaw to transport his band to a tropical concert site, and then to talk sense to an anteater who interrupts their performance. Includes author's note on how language, rhythm, color, and life are depicted in the book.

Gollub, M. (2010). Jazz fly 2: The jungle pachanga. (Ill. by Karen Hanke). Santa Rosa, California: Tortuga Press. 32 pp. ISBN: 978-1-889910-44-4 (Hardcover); $17.95.

Winning five different awards including Foreword Reviews Best Book of the Year, Gold Award Winner, Best Books 2010 Winning - USA Book News, International Book Awards Winner, Parent’s Choice Award, and Moonbeam Children’s Book Gold medal, Jazz Fly 2, the sequel to Jazz Fly, will keep children ages four and up engaged the entire time. Follow the fly and his band on their way to the termite nest for a “nest shakin’, termite quakin’ party,” and help the fly get rid of the anteater trying to ruin all of the fun! With wonderful, colorful illustrations done by Karen Hanke, children are sure to enjoy this book. Gollub uses different colors for different words (Latin Jazz words in green and Spanish words in fuchsia). Gollub has also created a CD that features the rhythmic storytelling. This CD is a must-hear! Not only does it tell the story, but it includes the actual musical instruments that a reader would not be able to experience just by reading; also, it is required hearing for anyone aspiring to read this text aloud. - Michelle
  michelle.1 | Oct 8, 2012 |
Has a CD of story
  aadkins | Jul 5, 2011 |
I thought this book was absolutely adorable! Not only is it very creative and illustrative, it also teaches children Spanish and jazz music. Having 7 years of Spanish study under my belt, I can certainly appreciate the bilingual tone that resonated throughout the book. I also happen to be a fan of jazz music, so this was right up my alley. Even though I'm a college student, I found this to be an excellent book for children. ( )
  sealford | May 3, 2011 |
I received this book through LibraryThing member giveaway and I am thankful for it.
I played the CD for my 2yr and 4yr old kids along with their 5yr cousin. My children enjoyed the music and preferred to dance and repeat "Choo-ka ting" than go over the actual pages of the book. The cousin on the other hand, really enjoyed the book along with the music. He loved the colors, "the bugs" and story-telling. So for that reason, I recommend this book for about 5 yrs and older.

I really enjoyed the book as a parent. The story was easy to follow and entertaining. I loved the bilingual nature, the story and beat of the music. This children's book is a great introduction to jazz music and to Spanish words beyond numbers, colors and fruit that my kids learn in school. ( )
  Ezinwanyi | Apr 10, 2011 |
I received this book through LibraryThing member giveaway. This was a delightful book with accompanying audio CD about a "jazz" fly and his band who are trying to get to their gig, via the jungle, after their limo breaks down. English, Spanish and Jazz scat, the latter some of the author's own invention, are spoken here and their text appears in different colors each. Rhyming and scatting fun among the languages tells the story and imparts some musicality too. The front and back pages enclosing the story have Spanish words and phrases which appeared in the story and their English translations, a smart addition. The audio version was a hit with my one year old who bounced and clapped to the instruments and rhythm. I've had the tunes in my head the last few days (in a good way, not a constant way) and find myself humming and da-da-daing them. If you have read and listened to the audio of Skippy John Jones and liked it I think you'll also like Jazz Fly. Yet the colors and illustrations in Jazz Fly are more vivid and engaging which makes reading it more appealing for the younger set. Fun story, catchy music, Spanish immersion, whimsical illustrations, it's all here, in Jazz Fly 2. ( )
  dgoo | Mar 15, 2011 |
The Jazz Fly 2 comes with its own audio CD that lets your child listen to the story including a variety of sounds such as percussion, piano, bongos and saxophone. The music is irresistible to children ages four and up and you'll delight when you see your child wiggle, jump and dance along with the creative songs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,805,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible