Gateways by Elizabeth Anne Hull

Gateways

by Elizabeth A. Hull (Editor)

Other authors: Brian W. Aldiss (Contributor), Alex Eisenstein (Contributor), Isaac Asimov (Contributor), Greg Bear (Contributor), Gregory Benford (Contributor)26 more, Ben Bova (Contributor), David Brin (Contributor), Cory Doctorow (Contributor), Gardner Dozois (Contributor), Alex Eisenstein (Contributor), Phyllis Eisenstein (Contributor), James Frenkel (Afterword), Neil Gaiman (Contributor), James Gunn (Contributor), Joe Haldeman (Contributor), Harry Harrison (Contributor), David Lunde (Contributor), Elisabeth Malartre (Contributor), David Marusek (Contributor), Larry Niven (Contributor), Jody Lynn Nye (Contributor), Emily Pohl-Weary (Contributor), Mike Resnick (Contributor), Frank M Robinson (Contributor), Robert J. Sawyer (Contributor), Robert Silverberg (Contributor), Joan Slonczewski (Contributor), Sheri S. Tepper (Contributor), Vernor Vinge (Contributor), Connie Willis (Contributor), Gene Wolfe (Contributor)

73None232,718 (3.69)None

Tepper, Sheri S.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vinge, VernorContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Willis, ConnieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolfe, GeneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I dedicate this festschrift to my beloved husband, Frederik, of course; and to those who are still alive but couldn't contribute-you know you are-and to those I couldn't even are, including Fred's boyhood friend Isaac (I would have loved to have had a story from you, and thanks to Janet, we do have your chapter on Fred from I, Asimov; Jack Williamson (no on jerked beef or made overnight oatmeal to equal yours); Judith Merril (my co-grandmother to the Canadian clan); Robert Sheckley (Fred always regretted not being your Best Man); Algist (A.J.) Budrys (a treasured friend before I ever met Fred); Charles N. Brown (how I wish I could share this book with you as we've shared so many others in our travels); Ian Ballantine (whom I used to translate for Fred when Ian spoke obliquely); Elsie (my "other mother") and Donald A. Wolheim; Judy-Lynn Benjamin (Fred's one time assistant) and Lester del Rey (our Best Man); Poul Anderson (who probably got as frustrated as Fred at the Poul/Pohl confusion among readers); Forest J. Ackerman (no one else addresses me as Auntie SC Fi now); Robert A. Heinlein (who thought I called him a prude even though I didn't); Fred W. Saberhagen (another pre-Fred friend); Frank Herbert (who graciously agreed with my critique of the movie Dune); Hal Clement (fellow teacher); Roger Zelazny (who shopped while we waited on the bus); Philip Jose Farmer (so nearby yet so seldom visited except at cons-bless the cons!), and many, many more in the extended family that is the global SF
community.

--Elizabeth Anne Hull
This collection of stories should not be combined with any individual story, even if the individual works are incorrectly cataloged with the ISBN of the collection.

An anthology of new, original stories by bestselling science fiction authors, inspired by science fiction great Frederik Pohl

It isn’t easy to get a group of bestselling SF authors to write new stories for an anthology, but that’s what Elizabeth Anne Hull has done in this powerhouse book. With original, captivating tales by Greg Bear, Gregory Benford, Ben Bova, David Brin, Cory Doctorow, Neil Gaiman, Joe Haldeman, Harry Harrison, Larry Niven, Vernor Vinge, Gene Wolfe, and others, Gateways is a SF event that will be a must-buy for SF readers of all tastes, from the traditional to the cutting edge; from the darkly serious to the laugh-out-loud funny.

Each author has written a story that he or she feels reflects the effect Pohl has had on the field—in the style of writing, the narrative tone, or the subject matter. It says a lot about Pohl's career that the authors represented here themselves span many decades and styles, from the experimental SF of British SF author Brian W. Aldiss to the over-the-top humor of Harry Harrison and Mike Resnick, from the darkly powerful drama of Hollywood screenwriter Frank Robinson to the satiric pungency of multiple Hugo Award-winner Vernor Vinge. Every story here is uniquely nuanced; all of them as entertaining and thought provoking as Pohl's fiction.

In a career dating back to 1939, Pohl has won all the awards science fiction has to offer: Hugos, Nebulas, the SFWA Grand Master Award. Having written more than two million words of fiction and edited the groundbreaking Star anthologies and Hugo Award-winning magazines and books, Pohl is an SF icon. This anthology of brilliant, entertaining SF stories is a testament to his stature in the field.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:20 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,804,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible