The Fiery Cross: (Outlander 5) by Diana…

The Fiery Cross: (Outlander 5) (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Diana Gabaldon (Author)

Series: Outlander (5)

The year is 1771. Claire Randall is still an outlander, out of place and out of time. But now she is linked by love to her only anchor--Jamie Fraser. They have crossed oceans and centuries to build a life together in North Carolina. But tensions, both ancient and recent, threaten members of their clan. Knowing that his wife has the gift of prophecy, James must beleve Claire, though he would prefer not to. Claire has shared a dreadful truth--there will, without a doubt, be a war. Her knowledge of the oncoming revolution is a flickering torch that may light his way through perilous years ahead--or ignite a conflagaration that will leave their lives in ashes.… (more)
Member:Fourbee4
Title:The Fiery Cross: (Outlander 5)
Authors:Diana Gabaldon (Author)
Info:Arrow (2002), 1412 pages

The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon (2001)

English (147)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (150)
The fifth book in the Oulander series.
I'm pretty sure that as an aging male, I'm not the core fan demographic, but I'm enjoying the books. I came for the time travel aspect, and I'm staying for the good writing, the story telling, and finely crafted characters.
I noticed in this book how the author doesn't 'tell' the reader the nuances of a character, she 'shows' us - by describing actions, responses etc. A great skill, and done here really, really well.
The books are long. Very L O N G. but while i would prefer them to be shorter, the length has driven me away yet. I laughed at a reference in the book to Richardson's 'monstrous' Pamela, while the Outlander series clearly exceeds Pamela's length, and must also vastly outstrip Richardson's extremely monstrous Clarissa!!
Anyway, Volume 6 to come in a month or two. ( )
  mbmackay | Jul 18, 2021 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Jul 1, 2021 |
And of course now I'm watching season five of the show, which focuses on this book, and I haven't finished book four. Darn it.
  rjcrunden | Feb 2, 2021 |
Due to the awesome last 50 pages this is more of a 2.5 star. Unfortunately, the rest of the novel was a slog to get through. I usually devour Gabaldon's series but had to force myself to keep reading this one. I think it could have been edited a bit more; it dragged unnecessarily, particularly when a hundred pages only covered a few days. I also love this series for the history/action/adventure and this installment focused more on family and personal drama. It was also annoying that for most of the book, characters reacted to what they thought other people were thinking. Just communicate for once! When everyone started communicating near the end, things moved at a quicker pace and the action finally started.

I did love the end and am excited for the next installment. Gabaldon set up some great story lines for the next book so it should be a huge improvement. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
that was a monster to finish!!!! Can't wait to get to the next one and now I am ready to start watching Season 5!!! ( )
  aldimartino | Nov 24, 2020 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, Barbarasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ik heb oorlog meegemaakt, en veel verloren. Ik weet wat het waard is om voor te vechten, en wat niet.
Eer en moed zijn essentiële zaken, en voor datgene waarvoor een man bereid is te doden, zal hij soms ook willen sterven.
En dat, o verwanten, is waarom een vrouw brede heupen heeft: dat benige bekken is zowel het toevluchtsoord van een man als zijn kind. Het leven van een man ontspringt aan het lichaam van zijn vrouw, en in haar bloed vindt zijn eer zijn oorsprong.
Voor de liefde alleen, zal ik mij wederom door het vuur begeven.
This book is for my Sister, Theresa Gabaldon, with whom I told the first Stories.
I woke to the patter of rain on canvas, with the feel of my first husband's kiss on my lips.
The French translations of the Outlander series have been split in different ways by different publishers. Also, the same titles have been used for different splits. You can find information about the splits here: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chard... Please do not combine French translations with each other or with other language versions without checking that the content is the same. Thank you.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,650,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible