Im Schatten das Licht by Jojo Moyes

Im Schatten das Licht (edition 2017)

by Jojo Moyes (Autor)

When Sarah's grandfather gives her a beautiful horse named Boo--hoping that one day she'll follow in his footsteps to join an elite French riding school, away from their gritty London neighborhood--she quietly trains in city's parks and alleys. But then her grandfather falls ill, and Sarah must juggle horsemanship with school and hospital visits. Natasha, a young lawyer, is reeling after her failed marriage: her professional judgment is being questioned, her new boyfriend is a let-down, and she's forced to share her house with her charismatic ex-husband. Yet when the willful fourteen-year-old Sarah lands in her path, Natasha decides to take the girl under her wing.… (more)
Member:Fjodor
Title:Im Schatten das Licht
Authors:Jojo Moyes (Autor)
Info:Rowohlt Taschenbuch (2017), Edition: 7., 576 pages

The Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes

I'd give this novel 2.5 stars.

Although I did enjoy this novel, it fell short of Moyes' other work. The characters were strong yet the plot felt weak at times. This novel definitely could have been shorter as the characters kept harping on the same issues verbatim, which I found tedious.

Sarah is a young girl who after losing her mother and grandmother, is left in the care of her grandfather, Henri Lachapelle. Henri was once an elite horse master and now trains his granddaughter in the art. But when an unexpected stroke lands Henri in the hospital, Sarah is left to fend for herself. She ends up in the hands of Natasha Maccauley, an attorney who specializes in child law, but has a hard time adjusting to a new routine while trying to balance the extraneous and demanding work of maintaining and paying for her horse, Boo.

I won't go into too many details but I did enjoy a story about a young girl who has a deep passion for horses. It was a light read but left me feeling a little disappointed. I expected more emotion from Sarah and more insight throughout the novel rather than jamming the last 2 chapters with resolution. ( )
  booksforbrunch | May 5, 2021 |
This is a sweet story. There's a couple getting divorced, a young girl needing a home and an animal. You pretty much know how things are going to go, but you can't help getting your heart involved. Of course there are characters I didn't mention, and the girls devotion to the horse is an inspirational story itself. This book has a lot of emotional moments. I enjoyed it. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Feb 17, 2021 |
I loved this....partly because I am already a huge fan of Moyes---the way she writes just amazes me. How can she come up with so many, many stories? In The Horse Dancer I can understand that she personally knows a lot about horses but her characters interactions are so vivid. I have a terrible time putting one of her books down once I have started!! I keep thinking this one is the best....but really, I have never been disappointed with her writing. ( )
  nyiper | Jun 10, 2020 |
This is one of my all-time favorite books. Excellent portrayal of the love and trust between Sarah, a horse-loving teenager, and her horse. When her grandfather is hospitalized, she is fostered by Natasha and Mac who are dealing with a divorce at the same time. All of the characters are dealing with emotional issues and learning a great deal about themselves and each other throughout the book. Very satisfying. ( )
  terran | Dec 20, 2017 |
Not the finest of Jojo Moyes novels. The last third was captivating, but I found the beginning rather slow and tedious. Perhaps if I had a strong interest in horses, I might have appreciated it more. ( )
1 vote MM_Jones | Nov 1, 2017 |

Moyes, Jojoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hardingham, FionaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Show me your horse, and I will tell you what you are. - Old English Proverb
To C, S, H, and L and to Mecca Harris
He saw her yellow dress before he saw her, glowing in the fading light; a beacon at the far end of the stables.

Sarah's grandfather was a horseman of rare talent - only the exceptional are allowed into France's elite riding academy, Le Cadre Noir. But life took an unexpected turn, and now from a council estate in east London, the Captain hopes to train his granddaughter towards a better life.

Natasha is a lawyer whose job is to represent the best interests of children. Her confidence in her judgement has been shaken and her marriage has died - but an encounter with Sarah may lead to Natasha learning all she needs to know about life from a fourteen-year-old girl and a large horse named Boo....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,586,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible