Freakangels, Vol. 4 by Warren Ellis

Freakangels, Vol. 4 (edition 2010)

by Warren Ellis

Member:dennymeta
Title:Freakangels, Vol. 4
Authors:Warren Ellis
Info:Avatar Press (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 144 pages

Freakangels, Volume 4 by Warren Ellis

So after that pretty awesome cliffhanger in Volume 3, the 4th book opens with.. a flashback! Part of me was annoyed because I needed to know what was going to happen immediately. My first thought was, "MAN! I'm glad I wasn't reading this on a week to week basis". However, once I realized the flashback was finally going to give me some information about how the world ended up in the state it's currently in, I was satisfied.

The fourth entry in the Freakangels saga is a pretty awesome one and may be the best yet. Not only does it contain two rather big events and loads of pretty graphic violence, we're treated to a glimpse into the 14 year old lives of the Freakangels. What we're shown makes certain current situations that much more heartbreaking given the personalities that have developed. For example, given the general consensus on the outlawed Freakangel Mark, it's hard not to like him in these flashbacks - it makes you wonder what went wrong.

It's hard to really single out one character but I think I'm more than partial to KK. Not only does she have the technical know-how when it comes to building and creating new machines, she has some pretty great scenes and dialogue. I'm hoping she grabs a bigger role in the two volumes yet to come.

This is turning into quite the series. I've yet to be disappointed over any twists, turns or developments. No complaints from me.

On to book 5! ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Although I think they have the same page count, and quite nearly the same panel count, each successive volume of FreakAngels seems to read faster than the one before. In this fourth installment, there are some substantial background stories of the teenage years of the FreakAngels, both before and during the cataclysm that flooded London and left them in their current situation. The internecine violence that has been building through the eariler volumes comes to a decided head in this one, although I can't say it's been resolved.
2 vote paradoxosalpha | Nov 20, 2012 |
I've started reading this online in weekly instalments, but still find it useful to buy the trades as I get to read a larger chunk of story in one go. Bechdel: pass. ( )
  elmyra | Jun 19, 2010 |

Warren Ellisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duffield, PaulIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, KateAssistant Coloristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, AlanaAssistant Coloristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

'Twenty-three years ago, twelve strange children were born in England at exactly the same time. Six years ago, the world ended. This is the story of what happened next."--P. [4] of cover

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,024,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible