Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty

by G. Neri

"A graphic novel based on the true story of Robert "Yummy" Sandifer, an eleven-year old African American gang member from Chicago who shot a young girl and was then shot by his own gang members"--Provided by publisher.

English (44)  Spanish (1)  All languages (45)
Short and sad, just like Yummy's life. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
I was at my local library looking at the graphic novels. The word Yummy caught my eye so I pulled it out of the stacks. I was really expecting some cute little story. Instead I saw a serious looking book about a serious topic.

I read this book in one sitting, and all I can say is "Wow!" What an amazing and touching story. The story of Yummy is told through the eyes of another 11 year old, Roger. He is trying to make sense of the short, tragic life of Yummy.

I was very moved by the story. Having grown up in the suburbs, the way of life depicted in the book is very foreign to me. It makes me sad that people are living this way. I liked the way the author tried to balance out the story, showing the sweet, little boy side of Yummy, vs the gang member/killer side. I loved the stark black and white drawings. They added so much to the story. This was a really good book. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
A sad story, told in an engaging manner and with sensitivity to everyone involved. ( )
  brokensandals | Feb 7, 2019 |
gang violence and kids
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
In 1994, Robert "Yummy" Sandifer, was only 11 when he accidently killed a 14-year-old girl trying to prove himself to his gang. This book gives a small insight into his early life and the events that led him to join the gang and to commit the murder. After the murder, Yummy ran from the cops only to be killed by his own gang because of the media attention he was bringing to them.

Although this book portrays violent events it doesn't overdue it. There isn't an insane amount of blood, profane language, or gruesome detail that is so often found in gang-related books. The author was still able to get his point across without needing every brutal detail, because of this, I think this book would be appropriate to read in high school. It's a true story and people should know about it. This is a great discussion book. ( )
  JessicaGarcia6 | Mar 27, 2017 |

This is a great book for adolescents who have lived in urban areas and have seen what goes on day to day, from sun up to sun down. If you have not been to the ghetto like myself, then this book will give you a glimpse of what a teen boy goes through when he is trying to survive in the hard life of a gang member. This life can also lead to innocent people getting killed in the line of fire. People who don't care about what gang your in but they are at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lee & Low Books

An edition of this book was published by Lee & Low Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,911,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible