Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty…

Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty (edition 2010)

by G. Neri (Author), Randy DuBurke (Illustrator)

"A graphic novel based on the true story of Robert "Yummy" Sandifer, an eleven-year old African American gang member from Chicago who shot a young girl and was then shot by his own gang members"--Provided by publisher.
Member:TPA_Library
Title:Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty
Authors:G. Neri (Author)
Other authors:Randy DuBurke (Illustrator)
Info:Lee & Low Books (2010), Edition: 34443rd, 96 pages

Work Information

Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty by G. Neri

English (45)  Spanish (1)  All languages (46)
Here's what I wish--I wish this book had been better illustrated, and perhaps longer. Yes, it deals with a pitiful, damaged boy, and makes for uncomfortable reading. Yes, it's written through the eyes of another boy of the same age, and is meant to (quickly) capture a young male audience. But either the book shortchanges the effort to plumb the depths of Yummy's short life, or maybe I am too jaded: I KNOW kids are killing kids on Chicago's South Side. I KNOW there are plenty of heartbreaking stories that never make the papers. What I wanted to know was why, and I didn't find it.

It's not a poor book -- it's good for some audiences. But I'd hoped that the graphic novel format could convey what words cannot in this story, and I was disappointed. The story is horrific -- what 11-year-old human can bear the responsibility of a gun? -- but I felt the artwork could have done a better job of Showing, rather than simply accompanying the Telling. ( )
  FinallyJones | Nov 17, 2021 |
A story I've heard and seen before, but it didn't stop this stark b&w graphic novel from making a power impact on me. I cried at the end, because so many things have not changed. ( )
  RakishaBPL | Sep 24, 2021 |
Short and sad, just like Yummy's life. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
I was at my local library looking at the graphic novels. The word Yummy caught my eye so I pulled it out of the stacks. I was really expecting some cute little story. Instead I saw a serious looking book about a serious topic.

I read this book in one sitting, and all I can say is "Wow!" What an amazing and touching story. The story of Yummy is told through the eyes of another 11 year old, Roger. He is trying to make sense of the short, tragic life of Yummy.

I was very moved by the story. Having grown up in the suburbs, the way of life depicted in the book is very foreign to me. It makes me sad that people are living this way. I liked the way the author tried to balance out the story, showing the sweet, little boy side of Yummy, vs the gang member/killer side. I loved the stark black and white drawings. They added so much to the story. This was a really good book. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
A sad story, told in an engaging manner and with sensitivity to everyone involved. ( )
  brokensandals | Feb 7, 2019 |

This is a great book for adolescents who have lived in urban areas and have seen what goes on day to day, from sun up to sun down. If you have not been to the ghetto like myself, then this book will give you a glimpse of what a teen boy goes through when he is trying to survive in the hard life of a gang member. This life can also lead to innocent people getting killed in the line of fire. People who don't care about what gang your in but they are at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lee & Low Books

An edition of this book was published by Lee & Low Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,298,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible