Delirium (Delirium Trilogy) by Lauren Oliver

Delirium (Delirium Trilogy) (edition 2016)

by Lauren Oliver (Author)

Series: Delirium (1)

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, when she falls in love.
Member:Tania57
Title:Delirium (Delirium Trilogy)
Authors:Lauren Oliver (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2016), Edition: Reprint, 480 pages

Work Information

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Matched by Ally Condie (foggidawn)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Kerian)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (BeckyJG)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Kerian, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these intense dystopian novels, teenage girls start to question the life-changing operation their oppressive government mandates for teens. Both girls redefine their values and grapple with the possibility of escaping to a rebellious colony in the wilderness.… (more)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (BeckyJG)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (Kritik)
    Kritik: Dystopia
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (keeneam)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (kaledrina)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (kaledrina)
    A Very Private Life by Michael Frayn (atreic)
    atreic: Both these books have a teenage protagonist who breaks out of her distopian existance because they suddenly fall in love...

English (488)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (494)
The first half is interesting enough but the world-building is terribly thin and without rationale so the tale doesn't hold up. There's never any explanation for why a society would choose to do away with love or what end is served by such a decision.

Its such a forgettable book that it wasn't until I wrote the above review that I realized I had started reading this book 6 years ago and abandoned it due to lack of interest halfway through. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
A littel slow in the beginning, but then I was hooked. Awesome story and concept. ( )
  ElizaTilton | Nov 5, 2021 |
I thought this was a book that I read a long time ago, but once I got started I realized that I had never read this before. I really enjoyed it. That ending was seriously intense and I have to know what happens next! ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
"Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't." ( )
  Gmomaj | Aug 31, 2021 |
I think that the idea of a society where love is viewed as a disease is quite interesting. The writer described the atmosphere of life in that world really well. The epigraph for each episode added more details and helped to understand the story's background more clearly.

The love story appeared too predictable for me. Nevertheless, I liked the main heroes, and the ending just left me without any choice. So, now I just need to read the second book:) ( )
  Diana_Hryniuk | Aug 28, 2021 |

Helanen-Ahtola, Marjasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lempens, Willekesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ridelberg, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valle Simón, CarmenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well.

--Proverb 42, The Book of Shhh
For all the people who have infected me with

amor deliria nervosa in the past--

you know who you are.

For the people who will infect me in the future--

I can't wait to see who you'll be.

And in both cases:

Thank you.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,459,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible