Der Monstrumologe und der Fluch des Wendigo:…

Der Monstrumologe und der Fluch des Wendigo: Roman (Fantasy. Bastei… (edition 2013)

by Rick Yancey (Author)

Member:TheFallingAlice
Title:Der Monstrumologe und der Fluch des Wendigo: Roman (Fantasy. Bastei Lübbe Taschenbücher)
Authors:Rick Yancey (Author)
Info:Bastei Lübbe (Bastei Lübbe Taschenbuch) (2013), Ausgabe: Aufl. 2013, 400 Seiten

The Curse of the Wendigo by Rick Yancey

Sequel to 'The Monstrumologist'. This is deliciously horrible, but is also not a straight-forward horror story. It explores the dark side of desire and looks at how the decisions we make can have impacts upon the people around us. The relationship between Warthrop and Will Henry is also further explored and we come to understand that it is much more than a master/assistant one. Events in the past drive this story and are slowly revealed as the plot unfurls. It ends uneasily, which means that I will eagerly await the next in the series. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
I have a hard time with scary movies. Blood and gore just make me feel nauseous these days, but thank goodness for Rick Yancey and The Monstrumologist series. With this series I can satisfy my interest in this genre without the icky side effects. The story took a little longer to grip me than with the first one, but once I hit that stride I did not want to put this down.

I love the structure of these books. Yancey is supposedly the editor of William James Henry's journals that were found after his death. He writes of visiting professors and doing research at the University of Florida and visiting places in Gainesville and Alachua. The familiarity of these places really brings these stories to life. The structure is so great because it works. When I read the opening passages where Yancey discusses the research behind the stories, I'm intrigued, but as soon as the story starts that all fades away and I find myself in Will Henry's world. I completely forget that there is a Rick Yancey and the town I live in until the final pages. He makes me want to believe that perhaps it might just be real.

The characters remain the same from the first title--Will Henry both awed and intimidated by his guardian, Dr. Warthrop. Dr. Warthrop's determination and ego leading him along. I love the way these two interact. Also, the inclusion of Warthrop's former love and best friend adds conflict and interest to his character. Overall, the characterizations are well done.

The Curse of the Wendigo is the second of the Monstrumologist series. Though it is not necessary to read the first book to understand the second, I highly recommend them both. I am also happy to report that there will be a third to the series. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
This was way gruesome and not nearly as interesting to me as the first book of the series. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
It had been a while since I listened to the first William Henry and Professor Pellinore story. So glad I decided to keep reading the series. It is just as gross out as the first one was and just as scary--although it was definitely creepier as an audiobook and I think that I plan on listening to the next one. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Rick Yanceyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Franken, AxelÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141698450X, Hardcover)

While attempting to disprove that Homo vampiris, the vampire, could exist, Dr. Warthrop is asked by his former fiancÉ to rescue her husband from the Wendigo, a creature that starves even as it gorges itself on human flesh, which has snatched him in the Canadian wilderness. Although Warthrop also considers the Wendigo to be fictitious, he relents and rescues her husband from death and starvation, and then sees the man transform into a Wendigo. Can the doctor and Will Henry hunt down the ultimate predator, who, like the legendary vampire, is neither living nor dead, whose hunger for human flesh is never satisfied? This second book in The Monstrumologist series explores the line between myth and reality, love and hate, genius and madness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:51 -0400)

In 1888, twelve-year-old Will Henry chronicles his apprenticeship with Dr. Warthrop, a New England scientist who hunts and studies real-life monsters, as they discover and attempt to destroy the Wendigo, a creature that starves even as it gorges itself on human flesh.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,146,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible