Go Ask Alice (Anonymous Diaries) by…

Go Ask Alice (Anonymous Diaries) (original 1971; edition 2006)

by Anonymous (Author)

7,641201897 (3.47)138
Based on the diary of a fifteen-year-old drug user chronicling her struggle to escape the pull of the drug world.
Member:coolkidstuck
Title:Go Ask Alice (Anonymous Diaries)
Authors:Anonymous (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2006), Edition: 1, 224 pages

Work Information

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks (1971)

Christiane F: Autobiography of a Girl of the Streets and Heroin Addict by Christiane F. (anthrofashion)
    anthrofashion: A true story in West-Berlin from 1976-1978. Christiane become addicted to heroine at the age of 13. Heartbreaking.
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (SandSing7)
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (sundancer)
    sundancer: They are both written by a female protagonist about the same age, and they both give in to peer pressure and both are very intelligent and wise beyond their years. They both have similar personalities and both end up dying shortly after their last journal entry.… (more)

English (200)  German (1)  All languages (201)
I read this when I was about 15 or so and remember loving it. I was in no way gonna take drugs not just because of this, but man did it shock me. Afterwards I found out that it apparently is not a real girls diary as I thought while reading it. That really disappointed me. Mostly I felt lied to. I would have liked it probably just the same if I had known going in that it was fiction. Either way, its a good story, interesting and makes you think. If I ever have kids, I would give it to them to read. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
LOVED this book when I was a weird little hippie in high school--read it a few times then. It didn't quite have the effect on me that I think it intends...like the DARE program, it only increased my desire to do drugs. Ohhhh, those were the days. If it was 10 years ago, I might have given it 5 stars, but something tells me I wouldn't be as enthused with it in another go around, so it gets 4. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
I bought this when I was in high school, it set on my shelf for years. I've outgrown this type of stuff, as a twenty-three year old woman. This book just sounded like a whiny teenager and that's not my cup of tea. ( )
  nagshead2112 | Apr 27, 2021 |
  nagshead2112 | Apr 27, 2021 |
I like it for the reason that it's very easy to read and follow through.
I don't think I'll want to recommend this to anyone unless they want to include it to 2021 PopSugar Reading Challenge: published anonymously.
It's also one of "NPR's Top 100 YA Books", which is my ultimate goal right now.
Is it persuasive enough? Not to me.
Some people tried to use illegal drugs--out of spite--after reading this.
Oh, and its category--realistic diary--is misleading because this is actually a work of fiction. We already know it by now, but it was initially considered Non-Fiction in some schools. ( )
  DzejnCrvena | Apr 2, 2021 |

Sparks, Beatriceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beluffi, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campert, RemcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corsi, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation.
Now known to have been written by Beatrice Sparks

This book pretends to be the diary of an anonymous teen in the sixties who becomes addicted to drugs. Actually it's a forgery, the work of Mormon psychologist Beatrice Sparks (and possibly others).

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,622,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible