Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Go Ask Alice (original 1971; edition 1998)

by Anonymous

Member:Altonfreth
Title:Go Ask Alice
Authors:Anonymous
Info:Simon Pulse (1998), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:drugs, teenagers

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks (1971)

Christiane F: Autobiography of a Girl of the Streets and Heroin Addict by Christiane F. (anthrofashion)
    anthrofashion: A true story in West-Berlin from 1976-1978. Christiane become addicted to heroine at the age of 13. Heartbreaking.
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (SandSing7)
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (sundancer)
    sundancer: They are both written by a female protagonist about the same age, and they both give in to peer pressure and both are very intelligent and wise beyond their years. They both have similar personalities and both end up dying shortly after their last journal entry.… (more)

English (187)  German (1)  All (188)
The narrator for the audio version, Christina Moore, did an excellent interpretation of the emotions described in this epistolary account. The twists & turns in a teenager's life can be stressful. Being alert to their needs & actions is critical. This book proves it. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |
I first read "Go Ask Alice" in the early 1970s, when I was about the age of the girl supposedly writing this “real diary” (which, of course, it isn’t) and for some reason I found myself recently wanting to read it again. I had forgotten how over the top the story really is, and how exaggerated the language. It’s pretty funny that our young heroine starts off with LSD, gets quickly into speed and tranquilizers and all sorts of other stuff, and only months later actually tries marijuana - which she finds more mind-blowing than any other drug! Given that Canada, where I live, is set to legalize pot this year, maybe our government needs to read this book - but I kid. Very silly, in the end. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Feb 14, 2018 |
A harrowing account of one girl's descent into a world filled with drugs - one which she was ultimately unprepared for. Losing her battle with drugs, Alice never achieved a happy ending on Earth, and the book left readers with many important questions to consider.

A perennial topic during 'Banned Book Week' I choose not to focus on whether it was a factual or fabricated account, but instead look at the rawness of the character. Unassuming Alice wasn't born into a world of drugs; one wrong turn at a party got her hooked, and she was never able to let go, no matter how many times she tried or how many people tried to help her.

My first read took place in middle school (I read the book at a local Barnes & Nobles). Rather than ban the book outright, if guardians have issue with their children reading the book, consider reading it for yourself (or alongside the preteen/teen). ( )
  JCLHeatherM | Jan 27, 2018 |
Go Ask Alice was one of the first books I’ve read, and I still think about it to this day. It’s one of those books that stay with you for a while. It’s a lot to stomach at time, but if you know someone who is an addict you will know what to expect with this book. ( )
  AbbieLauren2018 | Jan 27, 2018 |
I was not sure how many stars to give this book because it was read by me decades apart. The first time I read it I was probably around 11, and loved it and read it many times. When I was waxing nostalgic in my late 40s, I took it out from the library and only got thru one or two chapter - the parade had clearly past me by, and it saddened me somewhat, that something I loved so much as a young person was so boring and juvenile to me later in life. ( )
  REINADECOPIAYPEGA | Jan 10, 2018 |

Sparks, Beatriceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beluffi, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campert, RemcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corsi, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation.
Now known to have been written by Beatrice Sparks

This book pretends to be the diary of an anonymous teen in the sixties who becomes addicted to drugs. Actually it's a forgery, the work of Mormon psychologist Beatrice Sparks (and possibly others).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817851, Mass Market Paperback)

The torture and hell of adolescence has rarely been captured as clearly as it is in this classic diary by an anonymous, addicted teen. Lonely, awkward, and under extreme pressure from her "perfect" parents, "Anonymous" swings madly between optimism and despair. When one of her new friends spikes her drink with LSD, this diarist begins a frightening journey into darkness. The drugs take the edge off her loneliness and self-hate, but they also turn her life into a nightmare of exalting highs and excruciating lows. Although there is still some question as to whether this diary is real or fictional, there is no question that it has made a profound impact on millions of readers during the more than 25 years it has been in print. Despite a few dated references to hippies and some expired slang, Go Ask Alice still offers a jolting chronicle of a teenager's life spinning out of control.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

A fifteen-year-old drug user chronicles her daily struggle to escape the pull of the drug world.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,590,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible