Crime and Punishment (Penguin Classics) by…

Crime and Punishment (Penguin Classics) (original 1867; edition 2002)

by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Author)

37,04242139 (4.25)2 / 945
Determined to overreach his humanity and assert his untrammelled individual will, Raskolnikov, an impoverished student living in the St. Petersburg of the Tsars, commits an act of murder and theft and sets into motion a story which, for its excrutiating suspense, its atmospheric vividness, and its profundity of characterization and vision, is almost unequaled in the literatures of the world. The best known of Dostoevsky's masterpieces, Crime and Punishment can bear any amount of rereading without losing a drop of its power over our imagination.… (more)
Member:AdamFiske
Title:Crime and Punishment (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Author)
Info:Penguin Classics (2002), Edition: Revised ed., 720 pages

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1867)

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (PrincessPaulina, zasmine)
    PrincessPaulina: "The Idiot" is overlooked compared to Dostoevsky's other work, but in my opinion it's the most engaging. Deals with upper crust society in pre-revolutionary Russia
    zasmine: For more of his social dissection
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Booksloth)
    The Trial by Franz Kafka (SanctiSpiritus, Kantar)
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (chrisharpe, DLSmithies)
    DLSmithies: A compare-and-contrast exercise - Raskolnikov is all nervous energy and hypertension, whereas Meursault is detatched, calm, and won't pretend to feel remorse. Two masterpieces.
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky (SanctiSpiritus, Kantar)
    The Man Without Qualities: A Sort of Introduction; Pseudo Reality Prevails {Vol. 1 of 2} by Robert Musil (ateolf)
    The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (infiniteletters)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (ateolf)
    The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings [Bantam Classics] by Edgar Allan Poe (GCPLreader)
    The Lost Highway by David Adams Richards (figsfromthistle)
    figsfromthistle: Both novels show the unravelling of the human conscience and the lengths the main protagonists go to convince themselves that their crime was necessary.
    Herzog by Saul Bellow (SanctiSpiritus)
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind (klerulo)
    klerulo: Both these works attempt to get inside the head of singularly amoral sociopathic murderers.
Wanted (2)

English (362)  Spanish (16)  Italian (7)  Catalan (6)  Finnish (5)  French (4)  Dutch (4)  German (4)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (1)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (418)
Applies to the Kindle Edition of the Penguin translation by Oliver Ready. As readable as the one I’m most familiar by Constance Garnett, & I’m sure more accurate. Good, detailed notes that explain the cultural context & the St. Petersburg locations of the time. Insightful introduction. Has a “cast of characters” section which should be in more modern editions of long 19th century novels, or even contemporary ones, like Stephen King. Not simply a list, Ready also explains the implications of the names that are suggestive of theological & philosophical concepts that a non-reader of the language or the political & religious movements of the times would not be familiar with. Insightful introduction by the translator. Too bad he hasn’t translated more Dostoyevsky – I find the Peaver/Volkhonsky ones to be a slog. Another plus that isn’t always the case with the Kindle editions—this one has page numbers; the default location identifier in the Kindles is often just x digits of y total digits, which makes citations impossible. I was reading the Oxford World’s Classics edition of Little Dorrit even though I own a paperback copy of the same edition, because, at my age, the print of most of the Oxfords is way too small. I had to keep the hardcopy by my side for reference to get a better visual of where I was in the 900 p. Dickens novel.

The experience of the novel in Garnett (high school/college, read at least twice) & Ready is sensational, more gripping & faster moving than the Stephen King novel I finished the week before, and King thrillers move like a bullet train. I read D.’s Demons aka Devils in a Magarshack translation many years later, & I’d forgotten how much C&P anticipates it with characters addled by Chernyshevsky, and which might as well have been satirizing the progressives of the late 60’s early 70’s from my college years. The thing to keep in mind is that D.’s novels are funny in an appalling over the top way; he’s a master of scenes where things simply go off the rails. Consider the funeral supper for Marmeladov where his widow Katerina Ivanovna goes hammer & tongs with her German landlady and ends up out on the streets thinking she will make a living playing the barrel organ while whacking her dazed children to make them dance & sing. The grotesque black humor I can’t help thinking King re-imagined in the scene of the son’s funeral in Pet Semetery where Dad’s brawl with the in-laws knocks the child’s coffin to the floor. The other thing is he can be like Dickens on steroids – Svidrigailov could be the reincarnation of Quilp drooling over Little Nell when he describes his 16 year old “fiancée” to Raskolnikov: ”That lovely fair hair of hers, done up in those sweet little lamb’s curls, those chubby little lips, those little legs. Just adorable!” (576). And Sonya Semyonovna is more virtuously operatic than Little Amy Dorrit in her redemptive powers; the scene where Raskolnikov confesses to her truly brought me to tears. C&P: you’ll laugh – not to forget Luzhin, the latter day Uriah Heep -- you’ll cry.

Be that as it may, I agree with Ready that D.’s Raskolnikov protagonist is disturbingly ambivalent. Is he resurrected by Christian charity or has a legion of devils simply taken over our hero-murderer, jumping from Svidrigailov to the highly suggestible ex-student after D.’s surrogate, modernized devil commits suicide? Rascal Raskolnikov might be redeemed by his Mary Magdalene, but he could also be a conservative bete-noir, the murderer who skates by calling up all sorts of environmental excuses & acts of charity to get a reduced sentence. The doting mother who can never believe her son would do that but her subconscious knows; the sister who is shocked but “moves on” – characters you see on the Internet all too often. Even after sentencing he still thinks murdering the pawnbroker was justified (like killing the Jews in the 20th century) & he conveniently forgets he also murdered the pawnbroker’s pious, kindly, abused sister, the double as it were of Sonya. Does he ever feel any remorse for his deeds? Is D. using spirituality to give the audience a happy epilogue? Is D. being the devious politician who gives the libertarians and the evangelicals what they want even though what either party wants is exactly what the opposite party does not. I mean, if there was a kernel of remorse in the knave, why didn’t he turn himself in immediately? He doesn’t seem particularly afraid of “punishment.” But that would be a short story. Reading C&P is almost like looking over the shoulder of a novelist as actor, constantly asking himself, as they do nowadays, What’s my motive? What’s my motive?” For me, the motive issue is less about the decision to commit the crime, but more about the endless games R. plays to avoid admitting guilt, if he ever does, with Porfiry like a critic constantly hectoring the novelist about his various stratagems for delaying the inevitable conclusion. ( )
  featherbear | Jul 25, 2021 |
To read a long Russian novel is like falling down a rabbit hole and landing in a strange parallel world, eerily similar to ours, but with distortions and inversions. On second thought, that doesn’t apply to Tolstoy, whose world, despite its distance in time and space, is recognizably ours. But it is so for Dostoevsky. Whether this something you will enjoy, or even appreciate, is not a given.
It’s been forty-five years since I read this book. As in almost all well-told tales, I identified with the protagonist. But in this case, what a trip it was. For weeks, I was Raskolnikov. Although the book didn’t drive me to pick up an axe and butcher an old lady, for days on end, even after putting down the book and going about my daily chores, I felt what it was like to live with the dark knowledge of having done so.
Perhaps the book is not perfect. The heroine, Sonya the virtuous prostitute, is a bit too saintly to be believed, but the book worked for me as a narrative unfolding of crime and its inexorable punishment, or, as the Russian words of the title can also be translated, guilt and expiation.
Although I doubt this is a book everyone will enjoy, the combination of the impact it made on me long ago and the clear memory of that impact make it a five star for me. That's a rating I try to reserve for books that have become part of my mental furniture. ( )
  HenrySt123 | Jul 19, 2021 |
If ever there was–for me– the perfect time to read this book, it must be this 2020 year of the virus!
Extraordinary parallels and pathways.

"He had dreamt in his illness that the whole world was condemned to fall victim to a terrible, unknown pestilence which was moving on Europe out of the depths of Asia. People who were infected immediately became like men possessed and out of their minds. All were full of anxiety and none could understand each other; each thought that he was the sole repository of truth"

"What would he have to live for? What could be his aim? What should he strive for? To live in order to exist?
  mortalfool | Jul 10, 2021 |
radical student kills old woman but ultimately confesses and suffers
  ritaer | Jun 4, 2021 |
I think very good for release times but I cant say this now.Still good but story focus usualy move other character. Is not looking bad first time but this things live to contiunal...Also this problem because began lose the main charecter intertesting ( )
  Lunes1002 | May 5, 2021 |

Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuori, M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Amstelboeken (42-43)
On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge. (Garnett translation)
Toward the end of a sultry afternoon early in July a young man came out of his little room in Stolyarny Lane and turned slowly and somewhat irresolutely in the direction of Kamenny Bridge. (Coulson translation)
On a very hot evening at the beginning of July a young man left his little room at the top of a house in Carpenter Lane, went out into the street, and, as though unable to make up his mind, walked slowly in the direction of Kokushkin Bridge.
At the beginning of July, during an extremely hot spell, towards evening, a young man left the closet he rented from tenants in S____y Lane, walked out to the street, and slowly, as if indecisively, headed for the K______n Bridge. (Pevear and Volokhonsky translation)
In het begin van juli, het was tegen de avond en bijzonder warm, verliet een jongeman het kamertje dat hij aan de S-steeg in onderhuur bewoonde, en begaf zich traag, besluiteloos bijna, in de richting van de K-brug.
The original Russian title is “Преступление и наказание”.

Student with an axe:

Meets pious prostitute
No hilarity
(starwing)

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451530063, 0140449132

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,468,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible