For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

For Whom the Bell Tolls (original 1940; edition 1995)

by Ernest Hemingway

17,454170246 (3.93)1 / 502
The story of Robert Jordan, an American fighting, during the Spanish Civil War, with the anti-fascist guerillas in the mountains of Spain.
Member:RupaliP29
Title:For Whom the Bell Tolls
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:Scribner, Paperback, 471 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway (1940)

1940s (10)
Europe (26)
Modernism (105)

English (146)  Spanish (7)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (166)
I couldn't get past page 71.
  GRLopez | Nov 15, 2022 |
My first time reading Hemingway. Not too bad; I really like the story overall, and the characters are pretty good, but there were a few moments throughout that just left me underwhelmed, and sometimes the writing itself left a bad taste in my mouth, but it was still a decent novel for sure. ( )
  Revolution666 | Nov 14, 2022 |
842261037X
  archivomorero | Nov 9, 2022 |
Second Edition 1943 vs. 1940 . Book dedicated to then wife? companion? Martha Gellhorn
  susangeib | Oct 25, 2022 |
Before starting I thought this might be a re-read but I couldn't place when or where I might have read this before. I do know that I have read an excerpt from it, but I think that is all, other than having seen the film decades ago.

The dedication: 'This book is for Martha Gellhorn'.

In any event, with Hemingway one gets love and war. The story is a tragedy in multiple ways. It is incredibly powerful despite some faults. The writing is unmistakably Hemingway but the way he chose to write this is a little strange to me, and to many others judging by comments readers have made. I don't want to focus on the negatives. The story itself is very rich (although more than a little drawn out) and we really get inside the American Robert Jordan and what he is dealing with when he joins up with anti-fascist Republican guerillas who are not entirely on his side. Robert Jordan's romance with Maria changes him and felt very believable, although a bit over the top. But passionate love does things to you. The 507 pages concern one small incident within the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), but many other stories are told within to give the reader a sense of the ugliness of the whole affair.

A very good book considering it is from 1940. It was not a book I wanted to speed through. Not a slog, just read small portions at a time. I would have enjoyed it more if the language had not been so odd. There are really strong moments of the story throughout the book and Hemingway's skill in creating this becomes more apparent. I felt a little tricked because when Robert Jordan realizes that Maria is the love of his life and he would rather live with and for her rather than die 'for the cause', the narrator says at the beginning of a life changing passionate moment: 'and all his life he would remember the curve of her throat .... ". And so I thought, thank goodness that Robert Jordan is not going to die in this. But at the end of the novel which is only 2 or 3 days later, I am pretty certain that Robert Jordan had only minutes left to live.

I just get knocked out with this. It really is a Hemingway masterpiece. I plan to re-read it within the next few years. Read in 2021. 4 1/2 - 5 stars ( )
  RBeffa | Oct 17, 2022 |
Hemingway the artist is with us again; and it is like having an old friend back. That he should thus go back to his art, after a period of artistic demoralization, and give it a larger scope, that, in an era of general perplexity and panic, he should dramatize the events of the immediate past in terms, not of partisan journalism, but of the common human instincts that make men both fraternal and combative, is a reassuring evidence of the soundness of our intellectual life.
added by danielx | editNew Republic, Edmund Wilson (Jan 23, 2015)

". . . a tremendous piece of work. . . . Mr. Hemingway has always been the writer, but he has never been the master that he is in 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' . . . his finest novel."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times, Ralph Thompson (Oct 21, 1940)

The greatness of this book is the greatness of these people's triumph over their foreknowledge of death-to-come... For Whom the Bell Tolls, unlike other novels of the Spanish Civil War, is told not in terms of the heroics and dubious politics of the International Brigades, but as a simple human struggle of the Spanish people. The bell in this book tolls for all mankind.
added by jjlong | editTime (Oct 21, 1940)

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

No man is an Island, entire of it self; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a clod be washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesser, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never tend to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. —John Dunne
This book is for Martha Gellhorn
He lay flat on the brown, pine-needled floor of the forest, his chin on his folded arms, and high overhead the wind blew in the tops of the pine trees.
Your nationality and your politics did not show when you were dead.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,219,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible