Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Herzog (Penguin Modern Classics) by Saul…

Herzog (Penguin Modern Classics) (original 1964; edition 2001)

by Saul Bellow

Member:ProfessorPluggy
Title:Herzog (Penguin Modern Classics)
Authors:Saul Bellow
Info:Penguin Classics (2001), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:fiction

Herzog by Saul Bellow (1964)

The Trial by Franz Kafka (SanctiSpiritus)
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (roby72)
    Seize the Day by Saul Bellow (SanctiSpiritus)
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (SanctiSpiritus)
    Fury by Salman Rushdie (thorold)
    thorold: Rushdie's Fury is an ironic 21st century take on the professor-as-victim theme, with a whole string of references back to Herzog.
    Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo (roby72)

English (45)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (51)
I did not particularly like this book. It was interesting as far as the language was concerned: Jiddish parts, accents that were well performed by the narrator. But the story itself? I'm not sure. To me it seemed to lead nowhere. Lamentations on lost wives, children, things that were going wrong, mental (or real) letters written to 'write it off'. I have the feeling that at the end of the book Herzog is (apart from having a conversation about a (mental) hospital at the same point where he was when the book started. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Feb 6, 2019 |
A Jewish intellectual rages in unsent letters at the shortcomings of his acquaintances and his peers as a method of remaining calm and sane during his brutal second divorce. I wasn’t always enraptured with the novel, for what I thought was going to be a metafictional deconstruction of the modern world turned out instead to be a realistic psychological novel. But I only got mildly irritated in places, never truly vexed, for the details churning in poor Herzog’s mind were colorful and fascinating. I enjoyed them in a voyeuristic manner, for I always suspect that Bellow, like Roth, was drawing on his own disastrous experiences with women. If nothing else, I made me feel smug with how I have lived my life.

Malcolm Hillgartner adapted his booming American voice to a variety of female, Jewish, and even African American accents well enough to be believable without being stereotypical. I was as surprised as I was pleased, for I was very disappointed in my other experience of him; i.e. his inability to create an appropriate atmosphere for his readings of Lovecraft. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Nov 23, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Apr 2009):
- [I read this in 2001]
- I'm not Jewish, not divorced, and generally eschew intellectuals, but I really liked this book. Herzog's letter writing obsession covers all kinds of philosophical ranting. Bellow has created a memorable character who is listing badly on the sea of sanity, but who seems almost to revel in it. From his exchanges with friend Shapiro, his rumination about his Russian jew parents, to his temporary infatuation with Ramona, Herzog searches for solace which forever evades him.
- Though often intense the story to me always has a comic element bubbling just under the surface... Saul Bellow, a true literary talent, who died in 2005 at 89.

"Alone, alone, alone, alone
Solitary as a stone
With my ten fingers-alone." ( )
  ThoughtPolice | May 9, 2018 |
Third Bellow I've read, third time my reaction was, "Oh my god, I don't care!" ( )
  encephalical | Dec 15, 2017 |
I like Moses Herzog, and I like this book. It's like a nice friend. Moses is going through a life crisis, due to his wife and friend being grade-A assholes (oh, and a psychiatrist). So he finds himself in a sort of hypergraphia phase. He writes a bunch of letters, some on paper, some in his head. So we learn a lot of backstory this way. He is a professor of the Romantics... which is a little ironic, because I think one reason I didn't get super into this book was it rarely made me really feel for Moses. It was all sort of just, cerebral; not enough to make my heart ache.
There are some nice quotes to be culled from this book...although I sometimes missed them while reading the book itself, because, as I said, it was too often just cerebral and didn't really pull me in emotionally. ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
Anybody who has gotten some distance from a heartbreak’s wickedest throes, and wants to understand it, and wants to feel again the vibrancy of mind that made love possible in the first place, should read... Herzog.

A masterpiece... Herzog's voice... for all its wildness and strangeness and foolishness is the voice of a civilization, our civilization... The book is new and classic, and its publicaiton now... suggests that things are looking up for America and its civilization.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review, Julian Moynahan

With this new work, his sixth novel, Saul Bellow emerges not only as the most intelligent novelist of his generation but also as the most consistently interesting in the point of growth and development. To my mind, too, he is the finest stylist at present writing fiction in America.
added by GYKM | editBook Week, Philip Rahv

A novel that is certain to be talked about and written about for a long time to come, Herzog reinforces my conviction that Bellow is the leading figure in American fiction today.
added by GYKM | editSaturday Review, Granville Hicks

To Pat Covici, a great editor and, better yet, a generous friend, this book is affectionately dedicated
If I am out of my mind, it's all right with me, thought Moses Herzog.
The transformation of the novelist who published Dangling Man in 1944 and The Victim in 1947 into the novelist who published The Adventures of Augie March in '53 is revolutionary. (Introduction)
"Why to get laid is actually socially constructive and useful, an act of citizenship."

Herzog is a massive accomplishment that has repeatedly been likened to Joyce’s Ulysses. It remains Bellow’s “biggest” book and was on the New York Times best-seller list for the entire year. At its heart is Bellow’s profound shock at discovering, a year after his separation from Sondra, (Alexandra Tschacbasov, his second wife) her affair with their mutual friend, Jack Ludwig. The last of their circle to know he had been deceived, Bellow lapsed into deep depression and produced an intensely self-justifying hero who was tearful, cuckolded, and utterly humiliated. Moses Herzog, a Jewish intellectual is essentially precipitated into intellectual and spiritual crisis by the failure of his marriage. The plot of the novel is slender. Herzog leaves his home and marriage, fails in the classroom, abandons his academic project, and undertakes a massive spiritual and intellectual housekeeping via the production of dozens of letters to God, the long dead, the recent, dead, and the living. At the end of it he seems to have regained his sense of Jewish identity, purged himself of violent anger, abandoned his latest mistresses, and his repented of his dandyism. He has had a profound education in the realities of human nature, and rediscovered the value of nature and solitude on his Ludeyville estate. No longer the Graf Potocki of the Berkshires, both he and the estate seem to be reverting to some less pretentious earlier natural condition. After being in constant motion physically and mentally for the most part of the novel, he is finally seen at rest in a hammock, contemplating the night sky.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142437298, Paperback)

A novel complex, compelling, absurd and realistic, Herzog became a classic almost as soon as it was published in 1964. In it Saul Bellow tells the tale of Moses E. Herzog, a tragically confused intellectual who suffers from the breakup of his second marriage, the general failure of his life and the specter of growing up Jewish in the middle part of the 20th century. He responds to his personal crisis by sending out a series of letters to all kinds of people. The letters in total constitute a thoughtful examination of his own life and that which has occurred around him. What emerges is not always pretty, but serves as gritty foundation for this absorbing novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

A suffering and persecuted intellectual, Moses E. Herzog passively accepts the disasters of his private and public affairs in an effort to survive modern civilization.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,472,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible