In Xanadu: A Quest by William Dalrymple

In Xanadu: A Quest (original 1989; edition 2000)

by William Dalrymple

Member:sunayak1
Title:In Xanadu: A Quest
Authors:William Dalrymple
Info:Lonely Planet Publications (2000), Paperback, 319 pages

In Xanadu: A Quest by William Dalrymple (1989)

Tracking Marco Polo by Timothy Severin (nandadevi)
    nandadevi: Dalrymple got through to China in 1987 where Severin could not in 1961. Both wrote (and travelled) with the energy (and flaws) of youth. Both improved considerably as authors and travellers later in life.

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
Probably one of his funniest works. Surprisingly his subsequent works do not follow in the same vein and are somewhat subdued. In any case, a highly recommended read, tracing the author's quest to follow in Marco Polo's footsteps from Jerusalem to Xanadu, the capital of Kublai Khan.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
Nice, nice read. A whole lotta things I'm not terribly conversant in regarding the Middle East and Near East, but still an excellent read. The recapitulation of the journey through Turkey was interesting and through China as well. I've got a copy of Marco Polo's Journeys sio that will hopefully get read this winter.... ( )
  untraveller | Oct 10, 2015 |
A very interesting travel book, describing a daring journey through Israel, Cyprus, Syria, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, China and other countries I've doubtless forgotten. Dalrymple writes very well, it's a pleasure to journey with him. ( )
  cazfrancis | Jun 26, 2015 |
Right off the bat I have to say I love an author who uses the word "churlish." I could tell In Xanadu was going to be a crazy ride when he apologizes in his dedication (who does that?). William Dalrymple takes us on a journey from Lebanon to Inner Mongolia, following the historic path of Marco Polo (Travels). Dalrymple's ultimate goal is to reach the famed palace of Xanadu, of Coleridge's "Kubla Khan" fame. For the first half of his expedition he is accompanied by savvy traveler, Laura. The extraordinary thing is he met her at a dinner party just a few weeks before his departure. She just invited herself along because that's the type of person she is. From the way Dalrymple describes her, he sounds a little afraid of her. The second half of his journey is with newly ex-girlfriend, Laura. While not as fierce as Laura, Louisa has endearing qualities all her own. I don't think I will spoil it for anyone when I say they do make it to Xanadu, despite many mishaps along the way. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jan 27, 2015 |
It was still dark when I left Sheik Jarrah.

One of the most successful, influential and acclaimed travel books of recent years. At the age of twenty-two, William Dalrymple left his college in Cambridge to travel to the ruins of Kublai Khan's stately pleasure dome in Xanadu. This is an account of a quest which took him and his companions across the width of Asia, along dusty, forgotten roads, through villages and cities full of unexpected hospitality and wildly improbable escapades, to Coleridge's Xanadu itself. At once funny and knowledgeable, In Xanadu is in the finest tradition of British travel writing. Told with an exhilarating blend of eloquence, wit, poetry and delight, it is already established as a classic of its kind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,137,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible