Love in the Time of Cholera (1985)

by Gabriel García Márquez

25,31037298 (3.96)1 / 760
In their youth, Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza fall passionately in love. When Fermina eventually chooses to marry a wealthy, well-born doctor, Florentino is devastated, but he is a romantic. As he rises in his business career, he whiles away the years in 622 affairs--yet he reserves his heart for Fermina. Her husband dies at last, and Florentino purposefully attends the funeral. Fifty years, nine months, and four days after he first declared his love for Fermina, he does so again.… (more)
Recently added byArina8888, erinkegel, Marko_k, nickrowe, Shkoobs, Ingunn.Monsen, private library
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose, Tim Spalding
    The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (kiwiflowa, krizia_lazaro)
    kiwiflowa: The House of the Spirits - for some reason Library Thing will not link the book in English.
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    The Bridge on the Drina by Ivo Andrić (chwiggy)
    One Night, Markovitch by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen (Lirmac)
    The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Historical settings come alive in these novels about the complexities of life among close-knit high society social circles.
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (norabelle414)
    Somewhere Carnal over Forty Winks by Rom LcO'Feer (Anonymous user)
1980s (5)
Reiny (17)

English (322)  Spanish (27)  Dutch (7)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (371)
Atmospheric, beautiful, and strange. ( )
  roseandisabella | Mar 18, 2022 |
An incredible read. Touching on true love as a sickness, an Illness which plagues you for life, life itself, aging, dying, secrets taken to the grave. I am not sure why this sat on my bookshelf for close to 10 years waiting to be read. ( )
  donhazelwood | Mar 11, 2022 |
Just a creepy book! I know that the Oprah Winfrey book club billed it as a romance; I find it anything but. I would label it as obsession. The protagonist of the story uses his obsession for Fermina as an excuse to womanize and he keeps records. (622 women to be exact) The last girl was a 14 year-old and she committed suicide when he broke it off with her. To me, this was just a very bleak book. I listened to it on audio. 348 pages ( )
1 vote Tess_W | Mar 1, 2022 |
Gabriel South American background paints the lives in this love story with the social mores of the day. His poetic words wrap around you so you want to read through the night. ( )
  GraceAllison | Feb 24, 2022 |
3.5-4 stars out of 5.

Let me get one thing out of the way first. Nothing Marquez wrote can be mentioned in the same breath as his masterful "One Hundred Years of Solitude". Now that that bit is clear, let me just quickly write down my worthless thoughts.

This was beautiful. Just beautiful.

Marquez has to be one of my favorite writers. His storytelling is fluent, masterful, elegant, and just perfect and he Latin American backdrop of his stories makes it even more engrossing. What I love most about Marquez, however, is his undeniable grasp on the human character. He grapples with solitude, nostalgia, life and death, aging, love, and time. Given that these topics take up the majority of my thinking in life, I couldn't ask for better company than Marquez himself.

His fresh take on these seemingly inexplicable subjects shines in simple, yet profound, sentences that make the daunting seem obvious. His graceful prose is deep, poetic, wise, simple, charming, clear, and evocative. I took away quite a few quotes from this work that touched me in one way or another. I am still astonished by how wise Marqeuz was, and how vast a knowledge he must have had of life and the human self.

I can relate in quite a few ways to the characters in this book. While I don't think the story itself is that interesting, the way it was told combined with the charming prose edged me slightly towards a higher rating. Simply put, I enjoyed this book because it was a Marquez novel. Not as good as "One Hundred Years of Solitude" but still damn good. ( )
1 vote nonames | Jan 14, 2022 |
Ik hou van mannen als Márquez. Wijze, erudiete mannen. Ze vertellen mij dat het niet verkeerd is om gematigd en rustig te zijn, of zelfs af en toe te twijfelen. In deze tijd van mediacratie, waar de makkelijk pratende mensen het voor het zeggen hebben, de vorm dus voor de inhoud gaat (en ik iedere keer merk dat ik, tot mijn grote ergernis, ook de neiging heb om aan die trend mee te doen) ervaar ik hen als een oase van rust. Een geruststellende hand op de schouder die zegt dat ik niet altijd op scherp hoef te staan en dat het misschien wel een goed idee is om even een pauze te nemen.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Robin Booiman (pay site) (Apr 24, 2014)

Suppose, then, it were possible, not only to swear love ''forever,'' but actually to follow through on it - to live a long, full and authentic life based on such a vow, to put one's alloted stake of precious time where one's heart is? This is the extraordinary premise of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's new novel ''Love in the Time of Cholera,'' one on which he delivers, and triumphantly.

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sabarte Belacortu, MarioleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toelke, CathleenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentinetti, Claudio M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Синянская, ЛюдмилаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The words I am about to express:
They now have their own crowned goddess.

Leandro Diaz
In dieser Gegend geht’s voran:

die bekränzte Göttin zeigt es an.

Leandro Díaz
For Mercedes, of course
Natürlich für Mercedes
It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.
They were together in silence like an old married couple wary of life, beyond the pitfalls of passion, beyond the brutal mockery of hope and the phantoms of disillusion: beyond love. For they had lived together long enough to know that love was always love, anytime and anyplace, but it was more solid the closer it came to death.
She would not waste the rest of her years simmering in the maggot broth of memory
From the time she awoke at six in the morning until she turned out the light in the bedroom, Fermina Daza devoted herself to killing time. Life was imposed on her from outside.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189207, 0141032421, 0141037458

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,983,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible