Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel…

Love in The Time of Cholera (1985)

by Gabriel García Márquez

19,37227183 (3.96)1 / 628
    The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (kiwiflowa, krizia_lazaro)
    kiwiflowa: The House of the Spirits - for some reason Library Thing will not link the book in English.
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    The Blind Assassin: A Novel by Margaret Atwood (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Historical settings come alive in these novels about the complexities of life among close-knit high society social circles.
    One Night, Markovitch by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen (Lirmac)
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (norabelle414)
    Somewhere Carnal over Forty Winks by Rom LcO'Feer (Anonymous user)

English (231)  Spanish (22)  Dutch (7)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (268)
One of my all-time favorite authors. I began reading this for the first time just days before learning of his death. I am so sad that the sun has set on his genius but, luckily for us he chose to immortalize his ideas in writing so we'll have a piece of him forever. Cholera is less magic and more realism -- an epic and multi-faceted love story, literally spanning the decades of many interesting lives. I listened to this as an audiobook and was swept away. Wonderful! ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
I was very disappointed with this book. I absolutely loved "100 Years of Solitude" and so maybe expected a little too much from it. I didn't feel a connection to any of the characters. Perhaps it requires a second reading in a year or two. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
This book requires an incredible amount of patience. Not because it's super boring, but because it's slow moving and describes most events in summaries and doesn't give readers many opportunities to get caught up in the moment.

I was fascinated by the way Marquez addressed old age. Most people avoid talking about old age, but Marquez portrays it in all its humiliation and splendor. I appreciated the fact that he held nothing back. It was that, more than anything, that made this story real to me. Old age is something we'll all have to face, and it won't be pleasant, but there is still hope that adventures in life are possible, even as your body is shutting down.

Marquez is also very detailed about Florentino Ariza's 600+ "love" affairs. Most of the book uses the word love for sex, and I really started to get tired of Florentino's superficial quest for something that would fulfill his creepy obsession for Fermina Daza. After a while I started thinking of this book as Lust in the Time of Cholera.

But there is something sweet about Fermina and Florentino finally hooking up when they're in their 70s, after Florentino waited over 50 years to have her. Again, Marquez doesn't shy away from the "revolting" nature of old-age love, but it was the first time in the entire novel that I felt like Florentino finally found what he was looking for. Even better, the book doesn't end with lovers dying in each others' arms. Instead, they set off to sail the seas forever, a journey that can't be halted by death or old age. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jan 29, 2016 |
Ahhh, another wonderful book from this author. I always wish I could read the original versions written in Spanish. Other that it simply being a great story, I was particularly interested and impressed with his treatment of the subjects of love and aging, which he intertwines in a unique way. And poor Florentino! We will likely never run across a more persistent little man in fiction writing, hit with so many frustrations, even at the very end when dealing with the quintessential male frustration (no spoilers from me!) in his inimitable can-do way. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
Only Marquez can write this way! He writes fantastical fiction but it is about life as it truly is; he transforms the everyday into myth. Ultimately reading his books transforms you because you begin to look at life differently afterwards. Hopelessly romantic but relentlessly realistic, his writing is unique. "Life in the world, which had caused her so much uncertainty before she was familiar with it, was nothing more than a system of atavistic contracts, banal ceremonies, preordained words, with which people entertained each other in society in order not to commit murder." ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Ik hou van mannen als Márquez. Wijze, erudiete mannen. Ze vertellen mij dat het niet verkeerd is om gematigd en rustig te zijn, of zelfs af en toe te twijfelen. In deze tijd van mediacratie, waar de makkelijk pratende mensen het voor het zeggen hebben, de vorm dus voor de inhoud gaat (en ik iedere keer merk dat ik, tot mijn grote ergernis, ook de neiging heb om aan die trend mee te doen) ervaar ik hen als een oase van rust. Een geruststellende hand op de schouder die zegt dat ik niet altijd op scherp hoef te staan en dat het misschien wel een goed idee is om even een pauze te nemen.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Robin Booiman (pay site) (Apr 24, 2014)

Suppose, then, it were possible, not only to swear love ''forever,'' but actually to follow through on it - to live a long, full and authentic life based on such a vow, to put one's alloted stake of precious time where one's heart is? This is the extraordinary premise of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's new novel ''Love in the Time of Cholera,'' one on which he delivers, and triumphantly.

Gabriel García Márquezprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grossman, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pynchon, ThomasReview on inside coversecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richardson, MatthewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabarte Belacortu, MarioleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentinetti, Claudio M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Синянская, ЛюдмилаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The words I am about to express:
They now have their own crowned goddess.

Leandro Diaz
In dieser Gegend geht’s voran:

die bekränzte Göttin zeigt es an.

Leandro Díaz
For Mercedes, of course
Natürlich für Mercedes
It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.
They were together in silence like an old married couple wary of life, beyond the pitfalls of passion, beyond the brutal mockery of hope and the phantoms of disillusion: beyond love. For they had lived together long enough to know that love was always love, anytime and anyplace, but it was more solid the closer it came to death.
She would not waste the rest of her years simmering in the maggot broth of memory

In their youth, Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza fall passionately in love. When Fermina eventually chooses to marry a wealthy, well-born doctor, Florentino is devastated, but he is a romantic. As he rises in his business career he whiles away the years in 622 affairs--yet he reserves his heart for Fermina. Her husband dies at last, and Florentino purposefully attends the funeral. Fifty years, nine months, and four days after he first declared his love for Fermina, he will do so again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:59 -0400)

The story of a fantastic wedding, the return of the bride to her parents in disgrace, her brothers' resolve to seek revenge on her corruptor, and the townspeoples' refusal to depart from routine.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189207, 0141032421, 0141037458

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,156,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible