Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel…

Love in the Time of Cholera (original 1985; edition 1989)

by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

22,504331101 (3.96)1 / 707
In their youth, Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza fall passionately in love. When Fermina eventually chooses to marry a wealthy, well-born doctor, Florentino is devastated, but he is a romantic. As he rises in his business career, he whiles away the years in 622 affairs--yet he reserves his heart for Fermina. Her husband dies at last, and Florentino purposefully attends the funeral. Fifty years, nine months, and four days after he first declared his love for Fermina, he does so again.… (more)
Member:evareads
Title:Love in the Time of Cholera
Authors:Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1989), Paperback
Tags:other cultures, love

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez (1985)

Recently added byprivate library, watermama, SamHandwich, mgnm, thmariamoura, peterbg
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose, Tim Spalding
    The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (kiwiflowa, krizia_lazaro)
    kiwiflowa: The House of the Spirits - for some reason Library Thing will not link the book in English.
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    One Night, Markovitch by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen (Lirmac)
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Historical settings come alive in these novels about the complexities of life among close-knit high society social circles.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (norabelle414)
    Somewhere Carnal over Forty Winks by Rom LcO'Feer (Anonymous user)
1980s (3)
Reiny (17)

English (287)  Spanish (24)  Dutch (7)  German (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (328)
He writes lyrically and romantically about ugly, harsh people in an ugly, harsh nation.

Formed an interesting contrast to Flaubert. I'd rather read pared-down, realistic prose about fundamentally good (or at least not sadistic) people. Why I like Stegner so much, I suppose. ( )
  charlyk | Nov 15, 2019 |
Really enjoyed this - one of those epic books that sweeps through entire lives in foreign countries, written in a wordy, but not turgid manner. Definitely interested in reading more Marquez now. ( )
  6loss | Nov 7, 2019 |
I had a hard time with this book. I fell in love with the beauty of Garcia Marquez's writing very quickly, but didn't take too much longer to find the stupidity of most of the characters and the incomprehensibility of many of their actions grating. The fabulous prose kept me reading, albeit slowly and in short bursts, until about 3/4 of the way through the book suddenly it all fell into place for me, and I fell wholly in love with the book--story, characters and all--from that point until the deeply affecting ending.

I'm not sure I want to read another long novel by Garcia Marquez, because there were too many times in the middle when I was about to give up, but this has made me very keen to read some of his short stories and journalism. ( )
  eldang | Sep 18, 2019 |
Mayores de 16 años
  Alba26 | Aug 22, 2019 |

eldang | Aug 11, 2019 |
Ik hou van mannen als Márquez. Wijze, erudiete mannen. Ze vertellen mij dat het niet verkeerd is om gematigd en rustig te zijn, of zelfs af en toe te twijfelen. In deze tijd van mediacratie, waar de makkelijk pratende mensen het voor het zeggen hebben, de vorm dus voor de inhoud gaat (en ik iedere keer merk dat ik, tot mijn grote ergernis, ook de neiging heb om aan die trend mee te doen) ervaar ik hen als een oase van rust. Een geruststellende hand op de schouder die zegt dat ik niet altijd op scherp hoef te staan en dat het misschien wel een goed idee is om even een pauze te nemen.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Robin Booiman (pay site) (Apr 24, 2014)

Suppose, then, it were possible, not only to swear love ''forever,'' but actually to follow through on it - to live a long, full and authentic life based on such a vow, to put one's alloted stake of precious time where one's heart is? This is the extraordinary premise of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's new novel ''Love in the Time of Cholera,'' one on which he delivers, and triumphantly.

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grossman, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richardson, MatthewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabarte Belacortu, MarioleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toelke, CathleenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentinetti, Claudio M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Синянская, ЛюдмилаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The words I am about to express:
They now have their own crowned goddess.

Leandro Diaz
In dieser Gegend geht’s voran:

die bekränzte Göttin zeigt es an.

Leandro Díaz
For Mercedes, of course
Natürlich für Mercedes
It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.
They were together in silence like an old married couple wary of life, beyond the pitfalls of passion, beyond the brutal mockery of hope and the phantoms of disillusion: beyond love. For they had lived together long enough to know that love was always love, anytime and anyplace, but it was more solid the closer it came to death.
She would not waste the rest of her years simmering in the maggot broth of memory
From the time she awoke at six in the morning until she turned out the light in the bedroom, Fermina Daza devoted herself to killing time. Life was imposed on her from outside.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189207, 0141032421, 0141037458

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,116,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible