Nora, a fifteen-year-old Mexican girl, faces the challenges of being an illegal immigrant in Texas when she and her mother cross the border in search of Nora's father.

Nora is on a desperate journey far away from home. When her father leaves their beloved Mexico in search of work, Nora stays behind. She fights to make sense of her loss while living in poverty—in wait of her father’s return and a better day.
When the letters and money stop coming, Nora decides that she and her mother must look for him in Texas. After a frightening experience crossing the border, the two are all alone in a strange place. Nora must find the strength to survive while aching for small comforts: friends, a new school, and her quinceañera. ( )
  Gmomaj | Dec 9, 2019 |
Some people get annoyed with the average book with a happy ending, so here’s one that’s not. A girl about our age (9th grade) has to live life without her father because he had to go the U.S. to make money. Her mother and herself leave their small town in Cedula, Mexico in search for her father. You would never imagine the obstacles they come a crossed. I choses this book because I liked the title just simple and doesn’t give much away.
  edspicer | Nov 20, 2012 |
I would probably say this wasn’t the typical teenage love story. It didn’t have a happy ending. They did have a little hope though. I choses this book because a friend showed it to me and told me how good it was.
  edspicer | Nov 19, 2012 |
good book to pair with Will Hobbs' book- Crossing the Wire ( )
  saillergirl | Feb 12, 2012 |
This book made me sad, it was good but heart- wrenching.I think the sadness was heightened for me because of the new immigration law that was passed earlier this year in the state of Alabama and is now being fought by the government and others. I've seen articles in the paper about Latinos moving back to their countries or other states and removing their children from schools for fear of deportation. This book made me see their perspective and how hard it is for them to leave everything for the hope of a better future in America only to not " count as people here" as the main characters Nora mother said in the book. Some people may take offense to this but there is always some fact to fiction. Anyway, this book will make you think about how you treat people. Nora is a well rounded and strong character, with lots of spirit.I may have something more to say later but I will end with this quote from the book, "God doesn't care about your status. He wants you to have faith." ( )
  lilcrickit | Oct 27, 2011 |
We are all immigrants.
For Manuela and Mimi - and the roots you have given me.
When will you be back?
A promise is a lie you don't want to tell.
We are all immigrants.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bettina Restrepo's book Illegal was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,994,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible