Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

by Susan Cain

English (340)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (348)
Excellent.. I first heard of this last year on NPR and put it on my "to read" list, just now making the time for it. Cain does a great job talking about introversion and extroversion, and how introverts (even partial introverts) can adapt and function. I saw a lot of myself and my adaptations in here. Excellent. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
This is a well written book. Stories are great and I am proud to say I leaned a lot. However, things are left in the air several times, because the topic of introverts vs extroverts is an ongoing research. I think it was a worthwhile effort though. I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
**I purchased a copy of this book for my own enjoyment with no expectations of a review**

Cain’s Quiet was a real eye-opener for me. I mean, I knew I was introverted, but not really by how much. I gained a new perspective and a few new ways of doing things.

There are several major sections, with topics ranging from considering the 'Extrovert Ideal’ that our culture worships, and how other cultures view the quiet, contemplative personality, along with how introversion/extroversion differ, nature vs nurture, and how we can improve. It can be really hard, because people judge you as 'standoffish’ 'if you don't chatter constant​ly. In groups, I listen and add only when I feel I have something to add to the room. I understand myself a bit better now, and it was reassuring to know that there is nothing wrong with my quiet nature.

🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻 Recommended for those interested in learning more about what makes introverts tick, or if you are an introvert looking for some coping mechanisms. ( )
1 vote PardaMustang | Apr 19, 2017 |
While Cain posits that introverted/extroverted behaviours exist in everyone on a spectrum (and even then can be situationally dependent), it's almost impossible for this book not to fall into making it a binary. The point is to give voice to the introverts strengths and skills which can't shine in business and social environments that are set up for extroverts. And that's very fair and I'm in agreement with a lot of the solutions she proposes, but I think that certain stereotypes came through too strong (the loud, pushy extrovert, the sensitive, quietly-virtuous introvert). What I came into conflict with was that binary because I couldn't identify myself in this book (you might say it's not for me, and you might be right). I think that thoughtfulness and intellectual reflection are not introverted domains, but belong somewhere else. I think that producing art is not as connected with introversion as popular opinion maintains. I argue with certain "traits" assigned to introverted or extroverted personalities, and I think if I sat down to talk with Cain she'd agree about the limitations of those words, but for this book to work and sell she had to speak more decisively, but with less accuracy. Still, I could identify certain friends and family in the descriptions and reactions, and it's helpful to have that guide to the way they might be processing stimuli, which can differ from my own. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
I’m excited about Susan Cain’s book Quiet – The Power of Introverts. I’m betting that most writers, and perhaps more creative people, lean toward introversion.(She writes that 30 to 50% of the population are introverts.)
Many parents are disappointed by their quiet, reserved kids because extroverted personalities are so appealing.It seems accepted that we should all be gregarious, alpha and crave the spotlight. We want our children to be bold and outgoing and perhaps we even apologize for their shyness– yet let’s not forget some of the great accomplishments by introverts such as: Frederic Chopin, Albert Einstein, William Butler Yeats, George Orwell, Steven Spielberg, Bill Gates, Eleanor Roosevelt, Rosa Parks, Mahatma Gandhi and JK Rowlings.

Carl Jung gave us the terms introvert for personality types drawn to the inner world of thought and feelings and extroverts to the external life of people and activities. On one side are people who tackle work quickly and like multi-tasking whereas on the other end of the spectrum are those who work deliberately and focus on one task at a time. Extroverts are the life of the party and uncomfortable with solitude; introverts may have social skills but no love for small talk and prefer to socialize in intimate groups with close friends and family.
In a nutshell, this is an “I’m Ok , You’re Ok” book.
(To see comments on this book and related topics, see my blog post: http://cindamackinnon.wordpress.com/2013/12/10/more-about-quiet-the-power-of-int... ( )
  CindaMac | Mar 26, 2017 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Introduction
Montgomery, Alabama.
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
"It's so easy to confuse schmoozing ability with talent. Someone seems like a good presenter, easy to get along with and those traits are rewarded. Well, why is that? They're valuable traits but we put too much of a premium on presenting and not enough on substance and critical thinking." (one venture capitalist)
We need leaders who build not their own egos but the institutions they run.
So if, deep down, you've been thinking that it's only natural for the bold and sociable to dominate the reserved and sensitive, and that the Extrovert Ideal is innate to humanity, Robert McCrae's personality map suggests a different truth: that each way of being—quiet and talkative, careful and audacious, inhibited and unrestrained—is characteristic of its own mighty civilization.

Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society--from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of "the extrovert ideal" over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects--how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susan Cain's book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible