Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

by Susan Cain

This was masterfully written and truly powerful to read. It doesn't bash those who aren't introverts but explains clearly how people work differently and the strengths within that. ( )
  mmaestiho | Sep 20, 2018 |
Pretty much preaching to the choir. Years of reading internet articles and comics has helped me understand my own introversion and explain it to others. This book continued my self-education by sharing scientific studies of introversion and extroversion and elaborating in a readable, enjoyable way. Yay introverts!
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
I wish I had had this book ten year ago. ( )
  crisnoh | Aug 21, 2018 |
A very informative book showing that it's not ways best to be loud and outgoing. It's ok to be quiet and introspective in order to care for yourself and recharge your batteries. ( )
1 vote Bricker | Aug 18, 2018 |
The description is "At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Finally, she offers invaluable advice on everything from how to better negotiate differences in introvert-extrovert relationships to how to empower an introverted child to when it makes sense to be a "pretend extrovert."
This was a great read. I'm an introvert myself, although after reading the book I believe I am a highly reactive introvert, which means I can play the role of an extrovert when there is something I am passionate about. I felt the research and write up of the research on personality types was interesting and easy to read, unlike some books were the research portion puts me to sleep, Cain wrote in a manner that kept me interested and awake. There were many parts of the book where she was describing introversion, and I went "Ah yes, that is me" or "Ah yes, that total sense." There were some great tips on how to get along in an extroverted world, but to still be true to your introverted self. Remember, Introversion doesn't mean Anti-Siocial, it just means limited dosages or smaller portions of social interactions.

For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Introduction
Montgomery, Alabama.
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
"It's so easy to confuse schmoozing ability with talent. Someone seems like a good presenter, easy to get along with and those traits are rewarded. Well, why is that? They're valuable traits but we put too much of a premium on presenting and not enough on substance and critical thinking." (one venture capitalist)
We need leaders who build not their own egos but the institutions they run.
So if, deep down, you've been thinking that it's only natural for the bold and sociable to dominate the reserved and sensitive, and that the Extrovert Ideal is innate to humanity, Robert McCrae's personality map suggests a different truth: that each way of being—quiet and talkative, careful and audacious, inhibited and unrestrained—is characteristic of its own mighty civilization.

Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

Demonstrates how introverted people are misunderstood and undervalued in modern culture, charting the rise of extrovert ideology while sharing anecdotal examples of how to use introvert talents to adapt to various situations.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susan Cain's book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,812,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible