dismiss

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

by Susan Cain

This book demonstrates how introverted people are misunderstood and undervalued in modern culture, charting the rise of extrovert ideology while sharing anecdotal examples of how to use introvert talents to adapt to various situations. At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society, from van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Filled with indelible stories of real people, this book shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Taking the reader on a journey from Dale Carnegie's birthplace to Harvard Business School, from a Tony Robbins seminar to an evangelical megachurch, the author charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal in the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects. She talks to Asian-American students who feel alienated from the brash, backslapping atmosphere of American schools. She questions the dominant values of American business culture, where forced collaboration can stand in the way of innovation, and where the leadership potential of introverts is often overlooked. And she draws on cutting-edge research in psychology and neuroscience to reveal the differences between extroverts and introverts. She introduces us to successful introverts, from a witty, high-octane public speaker who recharges in solitude after his talks, to a record-breaking salesman who quietly taps into the power of questions. Finally, she offers advice on everything from how to better negotiate differences in introvert-extrovert relationships to how to empower an introverted child to when it makes sense to be a "pretend extrovert." This book has the ability to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how introverts see themselves.… (more)

This explained so much and helped shine a light into personal and professional struggles for many folks I know. ( )
  CatherineMilos | Jul 11, 2020 |
I am embarrassed at not having written a review of this book after I read it. Now that a month has passed, it is hard to say much about it. It was a nice book. Is that enough to say? It will have to suffice.

Although it is a lot less popular book, while I was waiting three months for the hold on this book, I read
[b:Introvert Power: Why Your Inner Life Is Your Hidden Strength|3260326|Introvert Power Why Your Inner Life Is Your Hidden Strength|Laurie Helgoe|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347488753s/3260326.jpg|3295604], which perhaps made this book less meaningful to me because I had just covered the same material in another book, and thus didn't seem to get any new insights.

2013.03.27 A year later my wife shared a talk by [a:Susan Cain|4101935|Susan Cain|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1315319296p2/4101935.jpg] from www.ted.com Hearing her talk reminded me of this book, and pleasant surprise, it is the same person, and this book is still on the NY Times best seller list!
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
1/3 into the book and I find it difficult to keep on reading. I'm an introvert and some things written down in this book were nice to read, but the writing is just not good. I find myself skimming pages a lot and I just would not point people to this book who want to read more about introversion. ( )
  prettygoodyear | Jun 29, 2020 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/13421947 ( )
  MissYowlYY | Jun 12, 2020 |
Excellent stuff. I listened to the integral audiobook and found it a fascinating topic. What if my parents had followed the author's advice (but of course the book wasn't around in the 70s!)...what would have become of us three daughters?
All is clear now to me, and obviously it is not a matter of winning over the shyness, but get to be a good actress to mask shyness away and play the role of the extrovert. Oh well...!
I definitely recommend this book to everyone, but especially parents with small children...it could help lots with the raising of children that are introverts and understand better what they are. ( )
  MissYowlYY | Jun 12, 2020 |

Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Introduction
Montgomery, Alabama.
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
"It's so easy to confuse schmoozing ability with talent. Someone seems like a good presenter, easy to get along with and those traits are rewarded. Well, why is that? They're valuable traits but we put too much of a premium on presenting and not enough on substance and critical thinking." (one venture capitalist)
We need leaders who build not their own egos but the institutions they run.
So if, deep down, you've been thinking that it's only natural for the bold and sociable to dominate the reserved and sensitive, and that the Extrovert Ideal is innate to humanity, Robert McCrae's personality map suggests a different truth: that each way of being—quiet and talkative, careful and audacious, inhibited and unrestrained—is characteristic of its own mighty civilization.

Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susan Cain's book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,097,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible