Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (edition 2013)

by Susan Cain (Author)

8,420409674 (4.02)368
This book demonstrates how introverted people are misunderstood and undervalued in modern culture, charting the rise of extrovert ideology while sharing anecdotal examples of how to use introvert talents to adapt to various situations. At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society, from van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Filled with indelible stories of real people, this book shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Taking the reader on a journey from Dale Carnegie's birthplace to Harvard Business School, from a Tony Robbins seminar to an evangelical megachurch, the author charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal in the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects. She talks to Asian-American students who feel alienated from the brash, backslapping atmosphere of American schools. She questions the dominant values of American business culture, where forced collaboration can stand in the way of innovation, and where the leadership potential of introverts is often overlooked. And she draws on cutting-edge research in psychology and neuroscience to reveal the differences between extroverts and introverts. She introduces us to successful introverts, from a witty, high-octane public speaker who recharges in solitude after his talks, to a record-breaking salesman who quietly taps into the power of questions. Finally, she offers advice on everything from how to better negotiate differences in introvert-extrovert relationships to how to empower an introverted child to when it makes sense to be a "pretend extrovert." This book has the ability to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how introverts see themselves.… (more)
Member:acappon
Title:Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Authors:Susan Cain (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2013), 368 pages
Rating:*

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

I found this very insightful. I found my niche and a clearer understanding of the blending of introvert and extrovert. ( )
  beebeereads | Sep 15, 2020 |
I was able to obtain a pre-pub reader's copy of Susan Cain's new book.
This is a useful book for the introvert forced to be in the public eye.
By public eye I mean more than 1 or 2 people. I, as an introvert, gained a better understanding of why I am the way I am. Most introverts will find helpful tips and info on dealing with work and daily matters. Now if I could only have enough money to move away and live in seclusion. ;-) ( )
  Steve_Walker | Sep 13, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book. It does an excellent job of providing facts and references dozens of studies in a very approachable way. It manages to avoid a concrete binary description of introverts vs. extroverts (something this just-barely-across-the-line-into-extrovert individual appreciated.) Most importantly, at the end there's an excellent analysis on how to handle being an introvert among Western extrovert ideals and how to develop skills to help yourself or your introverted child handle social development and social pressures. Highly recommended no matter where you fall on the scale of introvert or extrovert.

lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |
Loved it! Made me think about myself, who I am, and how to honor what that means. Backed by plenty of research. ( )
  JenniferElizabeth2 | Aug 25, 2020 |
I found a description of myself in these pages. ( )
  Desdelyn | Aug 22, 2020 |

Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Introduction
Montgomery, Alabama.
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
"It's so easy to confuse schmoozing ability with talent. Someone seems like a good presenter, easy to get along with and those traits are rewarded. Well, why is that? They're valuable traits but we put too much of a premium on presenting and not enough on substance and critical thinking." (one venture capitalist)
We need leaders who build not their own egos but the institutions they run.
So if, deep down, you've been thinking that it's only natural for the bold and sociable to dominate the reserved and sensitive, and that the Extrovert Ideal is innate to humanity, Robert McCrae's personality map suggests a different truth: that each way of being—quiet and talkative, careful and audacious, inhibited and unrestrained—is characteristic of its own mighty civilization.
If there is one insight you take away from this book, though, I hope it's a newfound sense of entitlement to be yourself.

Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susan Cain's book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,800,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible