The Case against the Case for Christ

by Robert M. Price

I haven't read Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ because I have read another book by him and couldn't bear to read another one. I find his "journalistic" style extremely irritating. So I am not in a place to determine whether Richard Price in his The Case Against THE CASE FOR CHRIST treats Strobel's book fairly. I have heard all the Christian apologetic arguments that Price critiques and they all sound accurately presented - so, along with the citations Price gives from Strobel's book which are extensive, I am happy to assume that Strobel's presentation is fair.

Price's book is a devastating critique of Strobel's book and the "scholars" Strobel's "interviews" to present an argument in favour of the fundamentalist evangelical Christian beliefs related to Jesus. Price ruthlessly demonstrates that Strobel's "journalism" is completely biased, only interviewing "scholars" that agree with him. Unless a Christian has read widely the material in this book (Price's) will be mind blowing. It's very well written with wit and rigour - but perhaps a little too sarcastic at times. Price's knowledge is remarkable and his erudition is so far ahead of Strobel's that it's embarrassing. A must read! ( )
  spbooks | Jul 7, 2013 |
The author, a member of the Jesus seminar, reviews and answers Lee Strobel's A Case for Christ, answering the points Strobel makes one by one, and demonstrating that the "skeptical" look Strobel alleges is in reality an exercise in apologetics. This book looks one by one at the questions Strobel asked those he interviewed, and answers them from the vast scholarly literature. In the end, the author concludes that the case that supposedly convinced Strobel to drop his agnosticism and become a born-again might not be adequate to convince a true skeptic. Recommended for all who have seen Strobel's arguments and believe there are no answers for the questions he raises. ( )
1 vote Devil_llama | Jul 14, 2011 |
Dedicated to my generous friend David S. Parks
Before debating Craig Blomberg, naturally I read his book The Historical Reliability of the Gospel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,348,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible