The Odyssey by Gareth Hinds

The Odyssey (edition 2010)

by Gareth Hinds, Gareth Hinds (Illustrator)

6203030,570 (4.04)92
Retells, in graphic novel format, Homer's epic tale of Odysseus, the ancient Greek hero who encounters witches and other obstacles on his journey home after fighting in the Trojan War.
Member:phoebenye
Title:The Odyssey
Authors:Gareth Hinds
Other authors:Gareth Hinds (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2010), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

The Odyssey: A Graphic Novel by Gareth Hinds

I didn't read whole thing but I thought they did the end well enough and that is the true judge for me. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 21, 2021 |
This graphic novel, illustrated by Gareth Hinds, is a retelling of Homer's ancient epic. It's the story of King Odysseus, doomed to years of wandering as he battles with storms, monsters, sorceresses and gods, all trying to prevent him from returning home. This version stays very close to the original poem, eliminating most of the narration in favor of illustrations and leaving in only dialogue.
  EricaReynolds | Jul 27, 2021 |
Whether an introduction or a refresher, Gareth Hinds graphic novel version of Homer's Odyssey is a wonderful read. The archaic language works strangely well in comic form and the illustrations draw in the reader by carrying the text, providing background information and supporting details. ( )
  cariannabell | Jul 14, 2021 |
I enjoyed Gareth Hinds' graphic novel adaptation of The Iliad, so I was looking forward to reading his version of The Odyssey as well. Especially as The Odyssey always seemed more like my kind of story. There's some really great character stuff in The Iliad, but, boy, do you have to read through a hell of a lot of fight scenes to get it. Whereas The Odyssey is full of gods and monsters and adventures and a hero who solves his problems by using his tricksy brain, all of which captures the imagination wonderfully well. Mind you, while reading this version I found myself remembering what I always seem to forget about The Odyssey, which is that there's actually way more stuff about those annoying suitors back home in Ithaca than there are cool seafaring adventures.

But, hey, those seafaring adventures are still pretty darned cool, and Hinds brings them to life nicely, with colorful artwork and some excellently monstrous designs on the monsters. Overall, it makes for a very nice way to revisit the story, when you're more in the mood to look at some pretty pictures than to read 400 pages of epic poetry. ( )
  bragan | Nov 28, 2020 |
iPad version from the library - Nice! ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |

Is an adaptation of

For my parents, Steven and Judith, who set me on my creative odyssey
Sing to me, O Muse, of that man of many troubles, Odysseus, skilled in all ways of contending, who wandered far after he helped sack the great city of Troy.

Homer's epic tale is brought to life in Gareth Hinds' THE ODYSSEY.  This Graphic Novel is perfect for those middle schoolers and others looking for a more visual presentation of Odysseus's journey.  This Graphic Novel could be used for those visual readers or for those with special needs while their English teacher uses THE ODYSSEY in instruction.  The sweeping pencil illustrations make this a worthy book to look at as well.  Visual representations of the text can be accompanied here.  Here are some teaching resources for THE ODYSSEY:  http://jc-schools.net/tutorials/eng9/homer.html

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763642665, 0763642681

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,227,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible