Revolutionary Road (1961)

by Richard Yates

The devastating effects of work, adultery, rebellion, and self-deception slowly destroy the once successful marriage of Frank and April Wheeler, a suburban American couple.
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (thesearch, JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Einen Autor, den Richard Yates, "glühend liebte" und "bei dessen 'Gatsby' er am Ende meistens in Tränen ausbrach".
    The Wife by Meg Wolitzer (jhedlund)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (cafepithecus)
    Rich Man, Poor Man by Irwin Shaw (Monika_L)
    Revolutionary Road [2008 film] by Sam Mendes (TheLittlePhrase)
    Rabbit, Run by John Updike (readerbabe1984)
    A Tragic Honesty by Blake Bailey (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Laut Eva Menasse eine "bewunderswert detaillierte" Biographie zum tragischen Leben von Richard Yates. Zitat: "[...] gnadenlosen Handel: privates Glück gegen künstlerisches Talent, körperliche und geistige Gesundheit gegen Ruhm."
    The Worst of Times by Patricia G. Miller (TheLittlePhrase)
    Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    An Answer from Limbo by Brian Moore (giovannigf)
    giovannigf: Both books (published a year apart) portray immature men with artistic pretentions making selfish decisions that lead to tragic results for their loved ones. Both also share a razor-sharp writing style.
    Jernigan by David Gates (arztriper)
    Appointment in Samarra by John O'Hara (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Room at the Top by John Braine (Booksloth)
    Night Games: And Other Stories and Novellas by Arthur Schnitzler (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler (Monika_L)

“Being alone has nothing to do with how many people are around.”
― Richard Yates, Revolutionary Road

I actually saw the film version before reading the book and I thought both were incredible. The story of Frank and April certainly left it's mark on me. I actually thought the film version should have won the Academy award.

As for the book..well I should warn..there will be SPOILERS THROUGHOUT THIS REVIEW:

There has to be. Rarely have I read a book that inspired so much discussion between myself and people I know. It seems everyone had an opinion on April and the ultimate decision she chose to make. While many judged her, I found myself feeling deeply sorry for both her and Frank. One wonders what it would have been like, had April lived and they had gone to Paris as she wanted. Would they have been happy there?

I feel they may not have been but not for the reason many others have given, that being one can't run away from their problems. While that maybe true..is true.. there is another school of thought that sometimes a change of scenery changes everything! I have known people who DID relocate and then did indeed find they felt happier and more whole.

However in April and Frank's case, their relationship was so frought with problems, so damaged, I do not know that they could have been happy anywhere together. It's a tragic story and a stirring look into a doomed marriage. It is a must read for any fan of Historical fiction and character studies. Even if one does not love the book, it will get you talking for sure. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 4, 2022 |
This was a reading group book and I was not happy - it looks like exactly the kind of book I hate. But rather to my surprise I didn't hate it. I actually found it quite readable and got through it easily. It's very depressing though. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 13, 2022 |
Frank Wheeler may seem as if he is the main character of this tragic story, but it really is his wife, April. And isn't that perfect? Because Frank thinks he's the hero of his own life, when really he is dull, unimaginative, bombastic, a person who talks instead of acts, desperate for constant ego boosting, an adulterer, a wife abuser, completely clueless, and desperately frightened. The book opens on the first performance of an amateur theater company for which April is the star, and that's what April is: an actress at all times, and often not a very good one. She grew up wanting only someone steady she could count on who would tell her that he loves her, and in return she tells Frank what he so desperately wants to hear: that he is great, the most interesting man she's met, that he deserves it all. The men in her life put her on a pedestal, but if she at all challenges them, they knock her right down; Frank tells her that he knows what she feels, and when she disagrees, he decides she must be emotionally damaged. Along the way, April has completely lost her sense of who she is and what she wants. She has become an automaton who feeds children and cleans house and smokes cigarettes and hosts vacuous cocktail parties. This is a horror novel, a portrait of a suburban dystopia from which there is no escape. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 25, 2022 |
The book is an extraordinary time capsule, allowing a glimpse of a marriage on the verge of collapse in suburban Connecticut around the middle of the twentieth century.

This is what happens when Holden Caulfield grows up to become Pete Campbell. It is a technicolor Chevy commercial created by the bright, angry young Electronic Computer salesmen of the aging Beat generation, with a splash of after-work Scotch and neatly manicured Saturday-afternoon lawns.

It is a story of existential, rotting despair under shiny, shiny new appliances. I savored it. ( )
  FinallyJones | Nov 17, 2021 |
My my, where has Yates been my whole life. ( )
  jaydenmccomiskie | Sep 27, 2021 |
Writing in controlled, economical prose, Mr. Yates delineates the shape of these disintegrating lives without lapsing into sentimentality or melodrama. His ear for dialogue enables him to infuse the banal chitchat of suburbia with a subtext of Pinteresque proportions, and he proves equally skilled at reproducing the pretentious, status-conscious talk of people brought up on Freud and Marx.

Yates, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Emeis, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ford, RichardForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alas! When passion is both meek and wild! -John Keats
To Sheila
The final dying sounds of their dress rehearsal left the Laurel Players with nothing to do but stand there, silent and helpless, blinking out over the footlights of the empty auditorium.
Ko so potihnili zadnji pojemajoči glasovi generalke, člani igralske skupine Laurel niso vedeli, kaj bi – kar stali so, tihi in nemočni, in mežikali čez odrske luči v prazno dvorano.
Nobody thinks or feels or cares any more; nobody gets excited or believes in anything except their own comfortable little God damn mediocrity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,687,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible